News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: Motor sticks on  (Read 3990 times)

bulletboy

Motor sticks on
« on: 21, August, 2008 - 08:51:58 »
Hi there.  I'm a newbie and my first post is asking for help  :-[!

C5's been fine the last few weeks since I bought it, however, the motor is now permanently on, meaning I have to switch off the master power switch to stop the vehicle.  The micro swtich seems ok.  Any ideas?  I'm guessing relay so does anyone know if this is easy to check / fix / replace?

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

jomac

Re: Motor sticks on
« Reply #1 on: 21, August, 2008 - 11:14:31 »
take the cover off the motor control box and locate the main relay, there are 2 small blue wires (and 2 thicker ones) connecting the relay to the board, pull one of these off the connector and re-apply the power, if the motor still runs then the relay has welded its contacts together, if this is the case, check the diode at the top of the board, usually these blow if you push the c5 backwards too fast and as a result the relay arcs and somtimes sticks shut, you can sometimes salvage the relay by seperating the contacts and cleaning them up with a piece of fine emery paper and replacing the diode, Karl should have some of these. If this isnt the problem, look for a faulty switch or a short circuitin the switch line.

Hope that helps

bulletboy

« Reply #2 on: 21, August, 2008 - 12:33:53 »
Thanks john - I'll give it a go!

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 21, August, 2008 - 22:12:38 »
Whilst I'm all for people being "hands on" with their C5's, please be careful when taking the control box apart.

Martin has some real horror stories regarding the sate of some of the control boxes that are sent to him for checking/repair.

What may have started out as a simple fix can end up as a completely written off control box by the time its sent to Martin.   

http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=35&osCsid=3c8a9c61b69be3782ad5c03540ed2da7

bulletboy

« Reply #4 on: 22, August, 2008 - 12:18:42 »
thanks for the warning Karl.  i have a little bit of electronics knowledge / experience but was only hoping to be able to remove the relay without risking any damage to the PCBs.  Can anyone offer me any reassurance that this is straightforward?

S.

jomac

« Reply #5 on: 22, August, 2008 - 14:38:51 »
It all depends on what relay was used at the time, some were sealed, some wernt, if its sealed then very carefully cut a slot around all four sides with either a dremel or a junior hacksaw about 5 mm from the bottom edge, making sure you dont cut too deep into the internals, once inside hopefully the contacts arent to badly fused together, seperate them with a small screwdriver and clean up the faces with very fine emery or wet and dry, clean up the cuts and re-assemble with a spot of superglue, check your suppression diode D1 which is a 1n5401 and mounted at the top end of the board, its a common 3 amp 100 volt rated device.

http://c5alive.co.uk/pub/downloads/C-FIG-4-updated.gif

bulletboy

« Reply #6 on: 22, August, 2008 - 19:13:53 »
Right!  Took cover off and located relay (at the bottom of the control box).  Removed one of the smaller wires and this had the effect of disabling the motor.  So I guess this means that relay is ok? 

Micro switch sounds mechanically sound but I suppose this could be faulty.

There is another relay located under the seat.  Anyone know what this is for?

Any help greatly appreciated.  I bought the c5 to show at a car show on 6th Sept!

jomac

« Reply #7 on: 22, August, 2008 - 23:34:22 »
I would bet the fault lies with the switch, pull the rubber handle bar cover off the handlebar, the switch is connected via two small white spade connectors, pull these apart and re-apply power, if the motor still runs, then its a wiring fault, both wires have somehow shorted together (unlikely) Looking at the controller circuit diagram, a 12 volt feed comes out of the control box on connector 5, goes to one side of the switch on the handlebar, the other side returns to the control box on connector 6 where it goes straight to the relay.

bulletboy

« Reply #8 on: 23, August, 2008 - 18:02:14 »
 ;D result  ;D
Switch was ok but the two paddle connectors were touching under some electrician's tape.  Annoying when its so simple.

Thanks for all your help.

Steve.

jomac

« Reply #9 on: 24, August, 2008 - 06:33:13 »
A result... ;D ;D ;D