News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: NEW Sinclair Vehicle!!  (Read 34469 times)

retroboy

Re: NEW Sinclair Vehicle!!
« Reply #15 on: 05, November, 2010 - 17:34:55 »
I really like  it but have a couple of comments , personally I think it needs some sort of wheel covers to make it look more substantial or even slightly wider wheels , also because of rear  visability  mirrors attached , will there by any type of removable half door like the Bond bug I wonder? .

Plus I agree would need a flick down stand of some sort  and  a wiper , I think these little things would help before the launch as small niggly things always get blown up into negative press and that could spell disaster for it .

I would consider one  and I think the price is quite good for what it is, would be great to get some more info on distance speed and battery consumption though

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #16 on: 05, November, 2010 - 17:37:46 »
I don't think that you really need a wiper, you don't get one on your helmet visor and I've been out on my motorbike in the rain before, secondly if you can't see the X1 then you should'nt be on the road in the first place.
I do agree that it needs a few tweeks here and there and I hope a few improvements might be made before July, but I still reckon I will be putting my deposit down after Christmas.

Retro Andy.   

marra

« Reply #17 on: 05, November, 2010 - 17:55:27 »
"secondly if you can't see the X1 then you should'nt be on the road in the first place"
  The other road users should not have to take responsability for the X1 road user. Wing mirrors would be usefull, as sat in a recumbant position like this is very hard to turn head right over and around shoulder to look what is behind if pulling out. Lights, well in the dark is a legal requirement anyway.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #18 on: 05, November, 2010 - 19:22:46 »
The other road users should not have to take responsability for the X1 road user.

Yes they should, just like a car has a greater care of duty than a bike, and a lorry more than a car. The lowest denominator being the pedestrian who has right of way.

My only gripe and it's not a big one, is it should have 2 wheels at the back so I don't have to stick my foot out at the lights.

Will I get one ?  Let's see !!!

marra

« Reply #19 on: 05, November, 2010 - 19:39:23 »
"just like a car has a greater care of duty than a bike, and a lorry more than a car.The lowest denominator being the pedestrian who has right of way "

Who said ? I understand the pedestrian, all others have to comply with road laws also. no lowest donominator there at all. No, I say fair play to all road users.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: 05, November, 2010 - 19:53:13 »
Pedestrians also have to comply with road laws. It's a fact that the more damage a vehicle can do the more 'duty of care it has' insurance also reflects this. This is why there are classifications of driving licence.

marra

« Reply #21 on: 05, November, 2010 - 20:38:28 »
I understand and agree with that. My point I am trying to make from earlier is that this new x1 would benefit from wing mirrors and lights so it makes them more safe to use and not to have ALL the observations and care put on other road users . I also have a motor cycle, but I dont drive down the road willy-nilly and taking no care in my own driving or not signaling, I have my lights on during the day also just to take extra care. Of course I expect the larger vehicles to keep an eye out for me, but I also have a duty not to camouflage myself i.e, not to have lights when needed or pull out when a car/ van / truck is about to pass. I am not deffending road users bar the X1 user, especially after being knocked off my bike 3 years ago and having a broken leg, 4 broken ribs, 1 broken collar bone, fractured wrist and a fractured occipital on the skull. Not pleasant. I was in the forces until 2004 and this was the worst my family had to deal with. We all have our opinion on things and i stand by that this new sinclair needs a few toutches, if it had what i said then my name would be down for one.
« Last Edit: 05, November, 2010 - 20:42:34 by marra »

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: 05, November, 2010 - 20:51:11 »
It's true that lights wing mirrors and indicators would be desirable. Perhaps they will be available as extras just like the C5. Might even be fitted as standard.  We will have to wait and see.

I would think,  well - hope that lights will be fitted; but if not required by law then they may well not be.

At the end of the day it's little more than a push bike with body shell on it.

marra

« Reply #23 on: 05, November, 2010 - 21:07:34 »
I will wait and watch to see where this goes. if it has a few mods or could fit aftermarket ones one then i may be up for having one ( as long as the price doesnt go up ). No hurry yet, they may be a few modifications to come during the next 6-7 months. I would for sure put my mast and flag on. Oh, and a bigger battery ( or 2 of ) .

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #24 on: 05, November, 2010 - 21:23:40 »
Well, I must say that I really think Sir Clive has taken the right option this time round, in that he's letting the world see it, and get used to it, before they actually launch it!  This was a lesson learned from last time.  What's more, there's still time to improve it, work on it, and monitor views and opinions, unlike with the release of the C5.

By the looks of the website, they've invested in getting a tech team to do some better marketing.  25 years ago, websites weren't even heard of, so no doubt this time, people are on hand to investigate public opinion.  I've no dount that someone from Sinclair Research will be looking at this forum from time to time to see what we think, as we're all C5 enthusuasts (or most of us anyway).  They know that C5Alive exists, and even when I spoke to Sir Clive earlier this year, I mentioned it, so even he knows of its existence.

So, hopefully, this will be a much more successful product commercially.  Also, after the media have had time to either praise it or tear it to bits, they'll soon be able to get that out the way and allow the negative press to fade before it actually becomes more visible in the public eye. 

Despite not working for Sinclair Research, I'm confident that with the focus on more environmentally friendly transport in the world now, things will be so much more positive this time round.  People are still only just beginning to realise that the C5 was really ahead of it's time.  Hopefully this time, people will realise that Sinclair Research really are producing things that can be used.  If only people supported the ideas, they can be developed and improved for future generations.

Good luck I say, and if I had the money, I'd buy one.

I'm so excited about this product, because it just feels like it's been 25 years in the making!

As for people feeling that the C5 may be less valuable, I disagree.  I can only feel that C5's would increae in value now.  Being that this was really the starting point for what is now the way to go!
« Last Edit: 05, November, 2010 - 21:28:34 by mike7201 »

marra

« Reply #25 on: 05, November, 2010 - 21:29:45 »
" As for people feeling that the C5 may be less valuable, I disagree.  I can only feel tha tC5's would increae in value now.  Being that this was really the starting point for what is now the way to go! "

Spot on with that. ( although I dont think anyone has actually said may get less valuable ). I think the C5 will get a very big press mension and become more sought after also.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #26 on: 05, November, 2010 - 21:30:08 »
Further more, it's interesting to see they've also released an electrified version of the A-Bike too!!

http://www.sinclairzx.com/index2.html#2

It's all happening at Sinclair Research!

marra

« Reply #27 on: 05, November, 2010 - 21:32:59 »
I have just been looking at that as well. These are a good idea to keep in the car for a ' park and drive '. my thought on these are how long will those small tyres last ? to do 10 mph, they will be going like the clappers ! hope they dont cost alot to replace.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #28 on: 05, November, 2010 - 21:54:51 »
I'm sure they've thought of that.

marra

« Reply #29 on: 05, November, 2010 - 22:03:58 »
Just sent a lengthy ( not to much ) question regarding the x1 about extras, battery and delivery cost. see what they come back with.