News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Halfords HBC063 Calcium Battery  (Read 7242 times)

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Halfords HBC063 Calcium Battery
« on: 02, July, 2009 - 07:38:37 »
I bought this battery because I read reports that it's chemical make up made this battery have a longer shelf life and charge/discharge cycle. The fact that these battery's are fully sealed and maintenance free was also a bonus.

It's small footprint made it fit just right in the c5's foot well so I could use the standard c5 battery strap, this meant that the battery did not slide forward whilst under heavy breaking.

At first I was very impressed with this battery, delivering strong constant power, enabling me to get around 13 hilly & 20 flat miles per charge.  Whilst my usage was fairly heavy (every day use) I never over discharged the battery, never left it in a discharged state, and always charged it after a run, even if it had lost only one green segment.

5 months on this battery is almost dead!  It will charge but it now hardly gets me out of the village before I'm beeped at and on the last red segment. Is this battery crap ? Do I have a duff one ? One thing is for sure I have a 4 year Warrenty with it, so I will be taking it back and will try again with another. 
« Last Edit: 02, July, 2009 - 07:44:12 by Umpa »

Karl

Re: Halfords HBC063 Calcium Battery
« Reply #1 on: 02, July, 2009 - 16:56:50 »
Shame the battery did not last as long as we would have liked  :-\ , thanks for letting us know. Sharing such info is what makes this forum so useful.

I'd be interested to see if the warranty works as it should and see if they replace your battery for you.

Offline alan1310

• Battery level: 5
  • i wish i was that man
« Reply #2 on: 12, August, 2009 - 19:16:14 »
is that the 680 cranking amp one i have had one in my van for 7 months and it is as dead as a doe doe . just remember you can take them back as the have a 3 or 4 year guarantee

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 12, August, 2009 - 20:00:03 »
From memory it was the 570amp. Like a complete retard I shredded the reciept by accident. £89 quid down the swanny.

Offline alan1310

• Battery level: 5
  • i wish i was that man
« Reply #4 on: 13, August, 2009 - 13:19:20 »
according to the guy at hellfrauds he says there was a bad batch what he told me to do was buy a new one then take the old one back with the new receipt and just ask for credit so you will get a new bat and your money back lol that's what you call being loyal to your work

c515mph

« Reply #5 on: 14, September, 2009 - 12:22:07 »
Just my luck.
I have just bought one. :-\
hehehe.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 16, September, 2009 - 12:42:16 »
I hope you have better luck that me Ray.  I took it back and they put it on their machine and it tested OK, but wont power the C5 over a mile before its flat !

I'm running Gel now and am happy with it :)

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #7 on: 20, September, 2009 - 10:51:34 »
I've been reading this thread wondering what's the difference between Calcium and Lead Acid??  Does it make any difference when it comes to using the C5, or is it just a difference in battery technology.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 20, September, 2009 - 20:30:12 »
yeah - its supposed to hold a charge longer & have a longer life span, but mine was the worst battery I have.