News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: battery dying fast  (Read 2500 times)

TOM-1

battery dying fast
« on: 25, March, 2010 - 22:33:23 »
hello carl Long time since we spoke if u remember me but I'm having problems my battery is dying in at least 5 Min's of riding its a fairly new 1 i seem to loose power any ideas thanks tom

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Re: battery dying fast
« Reply #1 on: 26, March, 2010 - 07:35:45 »
Hi there Tom first of all is it the battery that is causing the problem ?? . You say that it`s not very old .how old is it ?...Also what is the amp/hr of it ..Or is the C5 pod at fault (do all the LEDs on the  right side of the pod go out (except the yellow one`s on each side) and the alarm sounds  leaving the battery still charged ..

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 26, March, 2010 - 14:33:13 »
Like Chas says, there is the chance it might not be the battery - a faulty pod can give similar symptoms.

Having said that, you should still check to see if the battery is ok and eliminate that possibility before starting to fault trace on the c5. Under certain circumstances new batteries can fail - poor storage, faulty charger etc etc. Charge it up and check it with a voltmeter, or alternatively some garages do battery tests for free.

TOM-1

« Reply #3 on: 26, March, 2010 - 18:59:04 »
ive checked the battery and its charged not full. but it was when i started i was on my c5 for about 5mins and then the lights on the pod start to go down not fully but then the c5 sort of slows down a bit . ut the bat is a newish 1 and ive got 2 old ones that do the same tha amp is 75 so it aint a low 1 any other ideas thanks tom

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 26, March, 2010 - 22:10:02 »
If the charger was defective then all the batteries would be affected , have you checked the batteries with a voltmeter - as with all fault tracing you need to eliminate possible causes in a methodical way.

Preferably cheapest items first  :)

You need to be sure the batteries are in good health and receiving a full charge.  Either get a voltmeter and load test them, or get them checked professionally.

Once you're satisfied the batteries are healthy and capable of holding a charge, and that your charger is also in good health, then you need to move onto the c5 itself.

It might be worthwhile getting the pod bench tested by c5Martin.

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #5 on: 27, March, 2010 - 18:25:37 »
tbh one of the easiest ways might be put the newish battery on a known healthy  car and that cars battery on the C5 and run it, see if it 'behaves'.

if the C5's stamina improves, it will point to your charger as the most likely at fault, and with 3 batts tried - it would be where i'd suspect the problem is.

i hope you know, lead acid batteries need topping up once a month, while and Gel batts (low maintenance ) require a specific charger designed for them, or the high uncontrolled charging rates from a lead acid only charger can ruin gel batts real quick.

regs
Alan