News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: C5 day from hell.....Funny story to share  (Read 2275 times)

copendriver

C5 day from hell.....Funny story to share
« on: 12, August, 2011 - 00:25:38 »
Hi All

Been really enjoying my C5 ownership & decided I'd buy a bikemate wireless Speedo / Odometer to my C5 & found a cheapo one for sale in Aldi, whilst out having a mooch!
Around £13.99

Envious of what Scubachris had fitted to his restoration project.......& had said I'd look for something similar.

Now I'm not the best at DIY but more a have a go part-time hero hehehehe!

But managed to set the computer up from scratch following a badly translated German document. When I hit upon my 1st snag........ The Magnet designed to be picked up by the transmitter was designed to fit to a metal spoke and not the plastic thicker spokes of the C5.

Feeling rather smug I decided to drill a hole through the rear left hand side plastic wheel spoke tab which reads "sinclair industries" which is opposite the valve. & this allowed me to connect the magnet to the rear left hand side wheel. Out of the way of the motor and the cooling disc of the right hand side rear. Bingo I thought, but alas I've been unable to get the bikemate to register anything! GRRRR! Think it could have been stuck in the shop for ages and the batteries might be dead, so I'm going to replace these next just in case. Will post some online pics incase any of you are doing the same or have some neat suggestions...........

Was also giving Karl's 360 C5 Alive 1 fully charged battery a road test & it was going great guns felt strong and responsive & would have run it until it was empty, looking to get more than 7 miles from it this time, when disaster struck. I'd gone over some uneven ground & bumped the chain from it's tensioner loosing all drive being pedal power or motor ARGGGGHHH!

Could get it all to re-engage only for it to ping out again shortly afterwards.

Now being a Rookie and 2 miles from home it looked as though the tensioner had become misaligned but no matter what I did I couldn't re-attach things. Alas in the heat I had to lug and push my poor C5 all the way home along Salter Road Rotherhithe London to many toots and jeers! from passers by & arrived home a sweaty oily mess with a greasy face and hands & filthy oily paw prints all over the seat of the C5. Mad as hell at the time, but even I think it's funny now.

Safely indoors I re-attach the chain & feel very proud & then upon carrying it into the kitchen then  3 pieces ping off! NO!!!!!!!! One was a chain link & a clip arm of the nylon "C" clip & the other was a small metal clip!

Send the pics to Karl and say Argggghhhh! What have I done &  guess what? The diamond geezer is coming up on the bike to take a butchers with me  tomorrow, now that's what I call after sales huh?

Neil

Offline vanpeebles

• Battery level: 1
Re: C5 day from hell.....Funny story to share
« Reply #1 on: 12, August, 2011 - 09:23:46 »
"Now being a Rookie and 2 miles from home it looked as though the tensioner had become misaligned but no matter what I did I couldn't re-attach things. Alas in the heat I had to lug and push my poor C5 all the way home along Salter Road Rotherhithe London to many toots and jeers! from passers by & arrived home a sweaty oily mess with a greasy face and hands & filthy oily paw prints all over the seat of the C5."

See I hate this, I remember when my mini snapped a tie rod and I had an epic battle to put it into the side of the road. While waiting for recovery I had shouts and all kinds from workmen in vans. I thought I'm half tempted to ring your place and book a load of fake work or do your van in.

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #2 on: 12, August, 2011 - 10:26:00 »
Oh dear, you poor sod.

Still, glad to see you can see the funny side.

One part of c5 ownership is for sure... be prepared for everything! :)

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 12, August, 2011 - 16:28:22 »
" fun and frustration in equal measure" sums up c5 ownership   ;D

All sorted for now - have to wait and see if the latest bodge works or not.

Problem lies with my experiment of grafting a genuine "half-link" onto a new chain from Halfords to get the exact length right. Seems the connecting link took a dislike to the "half-link"...