News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: So, someone tried to mug me today....  (Read 3756 times)

Offline mhurt

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
So, someone tried to mug me today....
« on: 24, October, 2012 - 14:24:19 »
Just been out for a run, and two teenagers tried to drag me off the C5 - tried to kick me in the head etc to take the C5. It reminded me that the C5 is actually a target because of its uniqueness and value.

Luckily, I was facing downhill, so managed to get away from them (not much hope of me being able to put up too much of a fight), but it's now got me wondering if there's any way to immobilise the C5 completely while seated, and in a hurry? Just enough so that they can't just jump in and ride off if they do manage to drag you out - maybe something that slides between the wheel spokes. Obviously, it wouldn't stop someone carrying it off, but every bit helps.
Not sure I could get away with carrying a crowbar with me....

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
Re: So, someone tried to mug me today....
« Reply #1 on: 24, October, 2012 - 15:09:00 »
WOW! I hope you weren't injured.

I think the best bet would be a siren, switch on right hand side of seat (not easily seen). There have been some posts covering sirens on the forum.

Or two sticks of TNT fitted with a remote controlled detonator.  ;D

EDIT: The idea of someone swinging a crowbar while sitting in a C5 is beyond my imagination.  :o :o
« Last Edit: 24, October, 2012 - 15:14:53 by KarlG »

Offline mhurt

« Reply #2 on: 24, October, 2012 - 17:04:35 »
Unfortunately, sirens are pretty much ignored here. We live close to the Ambulance Station and Police Station (but not close enough to that!), and people are so used to house alarms going off at all hours for no reason, they get ignored.
Anyone got any flash bangs? :p

Oh, not injured luckily, his aim with his foot was a bit off.

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 24, October, 2012 - 18:08:29 »
Thats scary mate  :o

I've heard of one being stolen and chopped up with a chainsaw but never had anyone mugged for their c5....sadly a first time for everything I guess , a sign of the times we live in  :-\.

Offline KarlG

« Reply #4 on: 24, October, 2012 - 19:50:14 »
Well let's have another go.  :)

How about a Y coupling in your rear brake cable and a car style ratchet handle under the seat?

Or,
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w477/XE521/LOCK_zps523f9610.jpg
of course the rods would have to extend beyond the tubs. The tubes need to fixed to the chassis.

But I think the best would be.
There a a couple of holes in the lower section of the seat, now if you mounted a couple of nice spring loaded spikes under the seat. They would be switch to stand bye with a lever, when the axle turns it triggers the release. Stand-bye for blastoff.  :o :o ;D ;D

Offline mhurt

« Reply #5 on: 24, October, 2012 - 23:30:24 »
I do like that idea, it might even be possible to do something like that with solenoids and a panic button. Thanks!

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #6 on: 25, October, 2012 - 11:22:34 »
Presing the red killswitch and applying the handbrake should be enough to fool anyone dumb enough to want to steal a C5 , for long enough at least. If confronteed again why not test the Sinclair claim that the bodywork will withstand a 15mph impact by driving full tilt head on at the muggers; it certainly wouldn't improve the health of their legs.

Offline mhurt

« Reply #7 on: 25, October, 2012 - 12:42:40 »
Actually, that's given me another idea - I could possibly add a secondary brake cable that can be applied from under the seat on the right, purely as an anti-theft measure.

I was facing the wrong way to ride into them unfortunately, or I would have tested the body strength (besides, there are a couple of shells on eBay...).

Offline KarlG

« Reply #8 on: 25, October, 2012 - 13:13:19 »
Actually, that's given me another idea - I could possibly add a secondary brake cable that can be applied from under the seat on the right
This is what I was aiming at in reply #4. But it must be self latching. Plus are your brakes good enough?

I still think that a siren is the best solution. I can't see a thief driving off in the C5 with the siren going at full blast all of the time. It would draw attention where ever the tried to drive.
Using two buttons, one n/o and the other n/c, a relay, and a direct connection to the battery (which in the original cct exists) you could set up a system were it's very hard to disconnect. Arrange the relay with a self latching contact, the n/c button (which is very well hidden) is used to break the self latching function. If you press the n/o button the relay goes into self latching mode and the alarm goes off, this can only be stopped if the battery is disconnected (then they need time to do this, and can't drive under power) or if they know where the self latch interrupt is located.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #9 on: 17, November, 2012 - 08:48:48 »
Not a very nice experience and a real shame the sort of idiots that are out there and what they would do  >:(  I have only ever received positive comments and people I have met are interested in learning more about my C5.

Retro Andy. 

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 5
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #10 on: 17, November, 2012 - 08:54:09 »
This would be a situation for a 24 V :o

Offline mhurt

« Reply #11 on: 17, November, 2012 - 09:49:45 »
If a 24v would get me up the hills too, I'd do it :)
As an anti-theft device, I'm more inclined to fit tasers to the side.

I haven't done anything yet as the weather has made it impossible, but I will be doing the hidden brake lever.

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #12 on: 17, November, 2012 - 18:13:54 »
Sneaky  ;D ;) 8) ::) :P

Offline KarlG

« Reply #13 on: 14, December, 2012 - 21:03:56 »
@ mhurt,

a simple way to add an extra cable to the brake lines is to use an electrical terminal block, the type that you buy in a bank of 10 connections. Select a type that's not flexible and will accept the brake cables, cut off a block of three, connect a very short piece of cable from the brake lever to the middle connection, then the hand and blocking brake cables to the outer connections.

A better way is to remove the metal connector inserts, clap them in star formation and then solder them together. This way the unit is much smaller and there is less twist when one or the other brake is applied.

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #14 on: 15, December, 2012 - 15:09:38 »
Unfortunately, sirens are pretty much ignored here. We live close to the Ambulance Station and Police Station (but not close enough to that!), and people are so used to house alarms going off at all hours for no reason, they get ignored.
Anyone got any flash bangs? :p

I can just think what he was aiming for
 ;D ;D :o :o :P :P
« Last Edit: 17, December, 2012 - 20:21:17 by Luke Salsbury »