News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: I have another project - MGF TF 135  (Read 16397 times)

Karl

I have another project - MGF TF 135
« on: 08, January, 2012 - 21:16:25 »
Something else to keep me out of mischief ;

It is a bit of a "work in progress" as its a part-ex clearance from a local car dealer and was in a bit of a state when I got it , but it has scrubbed up nicely and does run well.

Chuffed with it so far  8)

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
Re: I have another project - MGF TF 135
« Reply #1 on: 08, January, 2012 - 21:23:38 »
Now you have a two seater C5, about the samespeed as one anyway!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

At lease you could use the battery!!!!!!!!!!  :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously they make a good, cheap summer car but don't go to far they are quite unreliable.

Lance

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #2 on: 08, January, 2012 - 21:29:57 »
Looks tidy - you will look the part on your hairdressing rounds  :) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline vanpeebles

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #3 on: 08, January, 2012 - 22:29:02 »
Ha! I thought the engine bay in my Alfa was cramped!  :o

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #4 on: 08, January, 2012 - 23:05:50 »
Nice one Karl

Talking about cars... I've got an RX8 for sale if anyone's interested in another unusual vehicle

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #5 on: 09, January, 2012 - 07:59:47 »
Looks like you bagged a tidy one, Karl. You'll have fun with it, but they are quite unreliable especially with Headgaskets going every 50,000 miles or so on the K-series engine.

Offline vanpeebles

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #6 on: 09, January, 2012 - 08:31:21 »
The headgasket issue is curable to a certain extent and is usually caused by a worn or dirty cooling system. The radiator and cooling setup on the k-series is very marginally so unless it's in tiptop condition then the engines can easily overheat.

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 09, January, 2012 - 20:09:29 »
Thanks for the "heads-up" , I did a little research before parting with hard earned beer tokens and the head gasket problem is well documented. I guess this is the main reason the cars are so cheap to buy. When searching for one I had literally hundreds to choose from ! I opted for an MGF "TF" rather than the earlier MGF because of the scarcity and expense of hydragas components for the suspension. The "TF" variants use simpler shocks etc that are readily available and much cheaper.

As for the head gasket, there are again lots of options. Guys like those on the link below and many other similar outfits, are out there ready to fix it at a reasonable cost so I'm not too fussed about that either ;
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260927192312?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Keeping with EBay, there doesn't seem to be much for a "TF" that you cant get hold of very easily and really cheaply.

Overall the TF is proving to be quite a laugh at the moment and I'm still very pleased with it  8)

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #8 on: 09, January, 2012 - 20:22:58 »
They are quite an easy thing to replace on a K-series, the headgaskets, it's just people think they would be difficult due to little space in the engine bay and mechanics making people think it's a harder job than it actually is because of the fact that it is mid-engined.

Karl

« Reply #9 on: 09, January, 2012 - 20:28:33 »
They are quite an easy thing to replace on a K-series, the headgaskets, it's just people think they would be difficult due to little space in the engine bay and mechanics making people think it's a harder job than it actually is because of the fact that it is mid-engined.

The basic idea of the MGF was to recreate cheap and cheerful motoring akin to the earlier MGB's (and also cash in on the popularity of the Mazda MX5 no doubt). Like you say, they do go wrong but seem easy to repair without costing the earth. Happy with that  ;).

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #10 on: 10, January, 2012 - 10:42:41 »
Used Metro floorpan to reduce developement costs.

Offline Lancealot

• Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #11 on: 10, January, 2012 - 19:33:56 »
I wouldn't admit to having anything to do with a Metro. Once had one for a few months and got rid of and back to Ford fiesta (in my early days). ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lance

Karl

« Reply #12 on: 10, January, 2012 - 20:13:30 »
Used Metro floorpan to reduce developement costs.

Quite true , this quote is about an MGF Trophy posted on the MGF register (forum) ;

Dave Walker, former Editor of Car & Car Conversions, said he liked it a lot. And when you consider what range of machinery he's had the opportunity to sample, I reckon that's pretty high praise. His comment came as my Trophy was driven onto the Emerald rolling road, where it revealed itself to have 172 horses in utterly factory spec. After a couple of track days to get familiar with its handling capabilities, it remains the quickest point-to-point car I've owned. No mean feat for a collection of Metro bits and a development budget that would barely cover the cost of a sandwich

Sometimes having a car that has a bad reputation can be quite an advantage in that you can get more car for your money  :P  In the past I've owned a couple of Rovers and they've been as good as any Ford or Nissan I've owned.

Time will tell whether or not this MGF was a good purchase or not.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #13 on: 21, January, 2012 - 11:55:17 »
I do like the Mazda RX-8, but have heard they can be trouble ? Nice clean little MG Karl, I am still after a SAAB convertible I think  :-\ Can't make up our minds.

Retro Andy.

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #14 on: 22, January, 2012 - 22:14:44 »
By the colour of that header tank its already had a head gasket failure so its unlikely to fail any time soon if its had the modified mls gasket put on. K series are great little engines light and powerful, rover just put the thermostat in the wrong place and cast the heads out of recycled corned beef tins so when they do blow they bend the head like a banana! They have been a staple steady income for my work lol! ::)