News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Greetings from Milton Keynes  (Read 3435 times)

Cappio

Greetings from Milton Keynes
« on: 28, July, 2010 - 22:19:20 »
Hi all, Just thought I would introduce myself. My name is Richard & as the title says, I'm from Milton Keynes. I picked up my C5 about 4 weeks ago & I'm currently in the process of stripping, cleaning, servicing & rebuilding it. I have pedal power but no electrics yet. I would like to purchase a C5Alive wiring kit but they don't appear to be for sale in the shop right now. Can anyone confirm this?
Thinking of going along to Warwickshire this weekend to see some other C5s & their owners.
Bye for now.

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
Re: Greetings from Milton Keynes
« Reply #1 on: 28, July, 2010 - 22:28:09 »
Hi Cappio, good to see anther C5 user in the area!

I'm just down the road from you, in Bedford. We did a Run in milton keynes just a couple weeks back and may be returning sometime soon!

If you need any pointers, give us a shout, there are a good set of people on here who really know their stuff.

Definitely get down to the meetup this weekend if you can and say hello!

Hope to see you at a meet soon!

Mike

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #2 on: 28, July, 2010 - 23:42:10 »
Hi Cappio welcome to the forum - good to have you on board C5ALIVE - I will be at the Warwick this weekend so if you can come along and say hi you would be most welcome. As Mike say's any question's just ask and someone will have the answer.

Cappio

« Reply #3 on: 29, July, 2010 - 23:23:37 »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I do have one question though....

I have read about running the C5 with a relay in place of the control box to make it more reliable. Is it possible to buy a relay wiring kit or are people making up their own?

Offline MikeDX

« Reply #4 on: 29, July, 2010 - 23:28:47 »
I don't know about the reliability since the control boxes are still holding up pretty well, but c5s can run on just a relay, the wiring kit I believe is meant to be used in addition to the control box.

Karl is your man to ask if you want to run on just a relay! It does work :)

Cappio

« Reply #5 on: 29, July, 2010 - 23:35:12 »
Thanks for a quick reply Mike.

I would like to use the control box to keep the C5 as original as possible but I thought there were some reliability issues with it. I have not actually tried it yet as I need to find a way of connecting a battery first.

Offline MikeDX

« Reply #6 on: 29, July, 2010 - 23:46:01 »
if you have got all the bits, wiring up a battery is easy. I don't mind meeting up with you if you want some hands on help :)

Cappio

« Reply #7 on: 29, July, 2010 - 23:57:46 »
Thanks for the offer, much appreciated. I'll see how I get on first. I'm more than competant with mechanics, but electrics just baffles me!

Offline MikeDX

« Reply #8 on: 30, July, 2010 - 00:09:53 »
As far as electrics go on the c5, it is very very basic! We'll get you up and running, maybe even in time for our next trip on the redways!

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #9 on: 30, July, 2010 - 09:55:38 »
Hi,
If you have the Sinclair battery top-plate and a working keyswitch assembly, then just buy a type 049 45Ah car battery, Ford Transit type battery terminals,relieve the battery post holes in the top-plate, and your away. I secure my battery to the loop in the rear bulkhead with a bungee.
NB this battery isn't as heavy as the original Sinclair battery, but being a starter battery rather than a cyclic type(the Sinclair battery is only a leisure battery so has more robust plates to resist heavy loads but otherwise is no better at surviving many long duty cycles than a starter battery) it won't  do as many cycles, and it has less of range than a big leisure battery but it is cheap!

Cappio

« Reply #10 on: 30, July, 2010 - 21:23:59 »
Thank you all for your replies. If I can make it to Warwick on Sunday I'll take a look at some other C5s to see how all you guys have wired them up then go from there.

Have been along the redways many times in MK with pedal power but really looking forward to a blast with the motor running!

Offline MikeDX

« Reply #11 on: 30, July, 2010 - 21:48:22 »
Excellent, you should join us when we go out next time, we could use some local knowledge!

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #12 on: 30, July, 2010 - 22:56:16 »
Excellent, you should join us when we go out next time, we could use some local knowledge!

You hit the nail on the head there Mike !!

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #13 on: 31, July, 2010 - 09:19:15 »
Welcome to the C5 Alive forum, you will find all the help you need, have fun getting your C5 going and get yourself ready the "C5 Grin" when its back on the road.

Retro Andy.