News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: My C5 with LCD display  (Read 24659 times)

Offline pso-buzz

• Battery level: 4
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Re: My C5 with LCD display
« Reply #45 on: 20, January, 2013 - 18:05:35 »
This completely and totally awesome!

Offline dansretropod

• Battery level: 3
  • The C5 was born to be customised... 3D style
    • www.c5owners.com
« Reply #46 on: 20, January, 2013 - 18:20:04 »
Thanks pso-buzz, any questions I'll try to help.

Now I've finished the hardware side of this I have a spare LCD shield board I'm offering up for free to anyone who wants it.  This is just the shield, you will still need the Arduino Mega and LCD board but if anyone wants it email me;)

Offline dansretropod

• www.c5owners.com
« Reply #47 on: 20, January, 2013 - 18:46:11 »
The Shield is now taken  ;)

This is so cool

Many thanks Dave.  I'll get the shield posted tomorrow.

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #48 on: 20, January, 2013 - 19:20:24 »
Very nice job mate and the the link and documentation is brilliant as well.

Lance

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 5
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #49 on: 20, January, 2013 - 19:34:36 »

It works and may be of use to other Arduino/C5 enthusiasts out there, though I haven't had time to comment it but it should be fairly easy to follow.

Please note, the code is provided "AS IS," without express or implied warranty of any kind.;)

I was thinking of using one on my C5

Offline pso-buzz

« Reply #50 on: 20, January, 2013 - 19:35:58 »
Would love to know the cost, and if you have thought about releasing instructions and the software (or selling it).

Ditto.

Ditto, it's like dangling a carrot!  Amazing though

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #51 on: 20, January, 2013 - 20:20:41 »
@ Dan,

IIRC you were talking about going 24v, is this thought still ratteling around between you ears. ::) If yes I'll be keeping a close watch for your future project.

All in all both the project and the link are a first class pieces of work.

Karl

« Reply #52 on: 20, January, 2013 - 20:31:45 »
I've set this topic as a sticky so it will be easier to find for future ref.

Offline Pep

« Reply #53 on: 21, January, 2013 - 23:13:23 »
Very very impressed, excellent work!!!
I bought the UNO starter kit to teach myself the basics and I was planning to use a 4 line display showing temp, speed distance and trip etc, I was ok downloading sketches and making small changes, but found it was a slow learning process, even though I can happily program plc's.
Would the screen work with the UNO board? this project has inspired me to dig the kit back out of the box and play again.
The video was a great explanation, one thing that came to mind was the ability to dim the display for night riding, not that I would be riding at night,
Keep up the fabulous work, I will be following your progress with this project, excellent!

Offline pso-buzz

« Reply #54 on: 21, January, 2013 - 23:19:27 »
Does this negate the use of the ULA chip I am hearing so much about?

Offline dansretropod

• www.c5owners.com
« Reply #55 on: 22, January, 2013 - 09:11:04 »
Hi all,

Thanks for your comments on this! I'll try to answer what I can:

Ditto, it's like dangling a carrot!

Sorry, it wasn't my intention to create this and then sell it on, I just don't have the time/resources to do that hence this is why the thread is in the C5 Gallery section rather than the C5 Marketplace.  I suspect many don't realise this isn't a replacement for the POD, it is rather a replacement for the whole C5 electrical system that wouldn't be suitable for most C5 owners as it would be too big a job.

My intention was however to create this display exactly how I wanted it and then make the information available to others so they could perhaps be inspired to create something themselves ;)

IIRC you were talking about going 24v, is this thought still ratteling around between you ears.
It was Karl, but have since decided to stick to 12V and remove the throttle and put it back to using the handlebar switch/relay as is normally used.  Maybe in the future...

Would the screen work with the UNO board?
Sorry Pep, this particular screen will only work with the MEGA board as it uses lots of digital pins.  I have been looking at other screens and there's nothing to stop you using one of them, you just have to come up with some other form of input as you wouldn't have the touchscreen.

but found it was a slow learning process
I agree it took me a while too to get my head around a lot of things and I found the Arduino code editor to be rather cumbersome and primitive.  Coming from a background of using MS Visual Studio it was a bit like going back in time and programming 10 years ago ;)

But do give the Uno another go, it's amazing what you can achieve with them.

Does this negate the use of the ULA chip I am hearing so much about?
It does as it's a complete replacement for the C5 electrical system. No POD.  No Control Box. Which may put most people off...

Maybe when time permits in the future I'll have a look at using the Arduino nano to build something that simply replaces the POD and uses all the existing C5 stuff, but that may be a while yet.

Thanks!

Dan

Offline danny7147

• Battery level: 10
  • If at first you don't succeed... pay someone else.
    • Bikes To The Future
« Reply #56 on: 22, January, 2013 - 10:55:32 »
I'm completely non-electrically minded so forgive me if this is a stupid question. If you stripped a Pod, is there nothing that you can buy that you could 'fit' into the shell to at least make it look authentic and complete, and be able to run the C5 like your other systems do?

Offline KarlG

« Reply #57 on: 22, January, 2013 - 12:45:08 »
Hi Danny,

is there nothing that you can buy that you could 'fit' into the shell to at least make it look authentic and complete, and be able to run the C5 like your other systems do?

as far as walking into a shop or ordering through the IN then I would say no, maybe there is a unit available somewhere, but as of to date no member has reported finding one. If there was a simple solution no one would be looking for replacements.

The ULA functions are not as simple as you would imagine, even Phil's unit is not perfect, but at least he took the basic criteria and produced a unit to meet this criteria.

I know I'm getting a reputation of being a killjoy, but don't forget I'm in, or hopefully no longer in, the same boat as a lot of you.

EDIT: You can rewire the system so that the C5 will run, but without the POD display.
« Last Edit: 22, January, 2013 - 12:51:51 by KarlG »

Offline mhurt

« Reply #58 on: 22, January, 2013 - 12:52:46 »
If you want an original-as-far-as-possible solution then someone (or group) needs to produce Phil's ULA replacement or an arduido type setup that uses the existing LED arrangement rather than a screen. Whether that will happen or not is another matter.
Short of that, this arduino project is the next best thing,  and replaces the pod and control box too. Whilst it's not exactly plug and play or original, I'd say that it's probably the best solution out there that I've seen if you don't want to go down the relay/no pod route.

Offline KarlG

« Reply #59 on: 22, January, 2013 - 13:05:51 »
There are a couple of things that stop me from jumping in and using this unit, one is the lack of battery management, and I don't like a transistor controlled motor control system with only 12v, i.e. voltage drop through the controller. With a 24v system the voltage drop is irrelivant, plus I'd restrict the throttle to limit the voltage somewhat so as not to overload the motor.

BUT, I just don't have the time to redesign the system, plus lack of programming knowledge.