News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: preping shell for paint  (Read 6055 times)

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
preping shell for paint
« on: 11, December, 2009 - 19:54:13 »
hi all,

the shell of my C5 has no major damae but has the usual life's grazes and scuffs making, it look a bit too tired for my liking, i think its beyond sensible restoration to former as 'new glory', so i want to buff the shell to take a gloss paint.

appreciated, i will need special flexible paint designed for plastics, Karl (with my thanks) has already given me a link for that, but how best to prep and smooth the C5's pimply shell ready for undercoat and the gloss finish paint is the question.

i have air tools and a 10" (its ok mods don't panic ;) ) car polishing buffer with a lambs wool bonnet, as i'd use on normal car paint re-finishing, so wonder what grade compound i could best use so as not to cause swirls?

any ideas i will be gratefully received, as i fancy copying the JPS ones done by Lotus (already got the JPS decals and strips).

regs
alan

Karl

Re: preping shell for paint
« Reply #1 on: 11, December, 2009 - 21:24:12 »
Fezza is the one to speak to, I think he advised Hank on painting a c5 bright yellow.

Offline techytype

« Reply #2 on: 13, December, 2009 - 19:53:26 »
Thanks Karl,

checked his profile but no email option  :(

regs
alan

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 14, December, 2009 - 19:33:41 »
..not sure if you're looking at the same info that I see mate ( I have admin status), but his profile does show fezza's email addy.

You do have to be logged in to view though.
« Last Edit: 14, December, 2009 - 19:51:53 by BooBoo »

Offline techytype

« Reply #4 on: 15, December, 2009 - 18:44:40 »
..not sure if you're looking at the same info that I see mate ( I have admin status), but his profile does show fezza's email addy.

You do have to be logged in to view though.

just checked again now it shows it - ah well either now i'm admin status or that will be another of my senior moments then  ::)

i have emailed Fezza and hope for a response.

might be worth having a dedicated section for body repair/renovation tips ofred b those who hve done so writing articles rather than usual thread question approach.

regs
alan

filcool

« Reply #5 on: 15, December, 2009 - 23:22:43 »
I did have a tutorial on how i painted mine written down but never had time to put it onto the computer,ill have a look at getting it put on if that would help you or anyone else.might be a few days but ill get it done as its holiday time soon.

cheers phil

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 16, December, 2009 - 07:56:41 »
I did have a tutorial on how i painted mine written down but never had time to put it onto the computer,ill have a look at getting it put on if that would help you or anyone else.might be a few days but ill get it done as its holiday time soon.

cheers phil

cheers Phil that would be excellent  8)

Offline techytype

« Reply #7 on: 16, December, 2009 - 20:02:11 »

cheers phil
that would be brilliant phil,

been looking a your rear wheel covers and wondered what you had used for them? i was thinking of nicking the wife's laundry bin lids and spraying with chrome paint for a bling effect  :D

regs
alan

regs
alan

filcool

« Reply #8 on: 17, December, 2009 - 20:23:15 »
the wheel covers were an old turntable for a portable telly split in half then painted.

phil

Offline techytype

« Reply #9 on: 17, December, 2009 - 23:00:29 »
chers Phil,

i was racking my brain cell as to where i'd seen that deign before - i have one of the turntables with my 26" LCD sat on it in my dinning room lol!.

talk about wheels within wheels,  one of my mates used to work in the factory that made them (in Walthamstow - now no more) :D.

might ping him the phot see if he spots them  ;D

inspired by your machine, i was looking for alternatives to pimp mine with. i spotted acrylic chrome circles on Ebay sold for use as safety place mats under flower vase's etc, shatterproof wall mirrors and wedding bling items.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290381233265&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

i found a set of mirrors which look very similar to yours but in chrome and come with an indicator lights built in

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-CHROME-CAR-DOOR-MIRRORS-WITH-LIGHT-INDICATOR-NEW_W0QQitemZ190358685573QQihZ009QQcategoryZ36682QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63

i reckon we should have a special  bling/pimping suggestions section  ;D

regs
alan

filcool

« Reply #10 on: 18, December, 2009 - 14:32:18 »
yeh we could have a pimping section,heres my other add ons for better braking,hydraulic disc brake.

Ive still got some low power LEDs i want to fit on.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #11 on: 18, December, 2009 - 14:37:14 »
Phil - Ilike this braking system - was it a straight fit or did you have to play around with it ?

Offline techytype

« Reply #12 on: 18, December, 2009 - 17:20:42 »
imo these collections of mods will help keep C5's working well into the future as original parts dry up over time so can only be a good thing.

i had same question, any chance of a few more views especially showing the caliper bracketing?

the disc boss i guessing was made to suit, then mounted by welded it to the axle, very nice looking job indeed - and very well done that man  :D.

regs
alan

filcool

« Reply #13 on: 19, December, 2009 - 20:29:15 »
unfortunately this was not a straight fit,it did require quite a bit of trial fittings and being able to get it to run straight and true.the boss was just made to suit the kit i bought.

my c5 was really rotten with rust at the back end so a whole new section had to be welded in to replace it.It was made with slightly thicker plate so gave a good strong place to mount a caliper bracker because the hydraulic set up has a lot of holding power so needs to be a meaty bracket.

a couple more pics of set up.

phil

Offline techytype

« Reply #14 on: 20, December, 2009 - 15:20:02 »
again excellent work Phil,

i appreciate you frame was weakened and you have rebuilt it, as you do i've bbenn throwing ideas about inside my skul (plenty of room lol!) would it be better and if possible to mount the disk nearer to the off side wheel? that way stress would be less on any bracket taken from the frame 'fork'.

i'm not sure what the OD is for the axle, last week i had to cut out some masonry to fit a door entry front panel, i was using a 4" diamond metal disk in an angle grinder.

the hought i had was the metal disk could be used to mount the brake disk rotor to, or perhaps even use it as the disk itself, the Colette of the angle grinder would make an ideal 'boss' as it already fits the cutting disk perfectly just may need boring out, some spot welds and job done.

just some ideas, too cold to go out and play and i seem to have developed flue. have now been banned from my shed  :( but excused to down 'meditional' brandy  ;D )

regs
alan