News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: Hooray! I finally got one!  (Read 11805 times)

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
Hooray! I finally got one!
« on: 17, September, 2009 - 22:06:48 »
Hooray!!!

I collected my first C5 this evening.  Wow - aren't they cool?

Went to visit a work colleague, and on the way I passed someone chatting on the pavement.  The guy looked as I passed, and he said 'my god, that's a bl.oody sinclair' - in amazement of course!

Wow!  Really gets attention doesn't it?

I managed to complete a circuit of several miles before I was down to the last segment of power when the C5 started beeping then cut out. 

Looks like it's doing what it should.

Now I've put it to bed, and will give it a loving clean and caring home.

Thanks again to Karl for facilitating a connection between myself and a seller.  Much appreciated.  I'll report my findings on the forum from now on.  Oh, one question...  How do I charge the battery?  I have one original C5 Charger, and another one in a box, but haven't a clue what to do!  The C5 charger I have has one block which has a connection with two pins on it.  Surely I don't just plonk that on the positive terminal?  Any ideas?

Cheers,
Mike

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: Hooray! I finally got one!
« Reply #1 on: 18, September, 2009 - 07:26:49 »
Excellent mate, its great getting positive and surprising comments when you're out and about on your C5, I'm guessing that you had a great big C5 smile on your face.

Retro Andy. 

Offline mike7201

« Reply #2 on: 18, September, 2009 - 07:51:36 »
Do you know - I really did have a really big smile as I was driving it!  I felt as if I was an attraction of some kind!  A little odd I know, but everyone was looking and when I brought it home, one of the people who live in my street said 'blimey, I haven't seen one of those in a while!'

Still need to know how to charge it though.

Mike

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #3 on: 18, September, 2009 - 08:37:40 »
Hi Mike great to hear you have a C5 at last and you are enjoying it.

Battery question - do you have a sinclair battery running with the key system ?.If you do you will need to remove the key switch block from the battery cover and place the Sinclair charger in its place - however if you have a normal car battery you will be best removing it and charging with a normal car charger.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #4 on: 18, September, 2009 - 09:08:54 »
Righto.  I have looked in the box of accessories that the seller gave me, and there is both a Sinclair charger and car battery charger.  I don't think it's a car battery though.  I don't want a car battery as I hear these will wreck it.  Is that true?

I have a grey battery which is translucent.  When I move it, I can see liquid floating around in different compartments.  It says it's 24amps 12volts.  Is this too much or just right?

If I charge it with the crocodile clip charger, how do I know when it's cooked?  I don't want any explosions!

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #5 on: 18, September, 2009 - 09:32:08 »
Doesn't sound like a Sinclair battery as they are not transparent - does the car battery charger have any form of indicator on it (meter dial etc) ? You can tell from this when they are fully charged. I use a car battery and a modern charger that cost only a few pounds but it shuts off when the battery is full - so no frying !!! Make sure you disconnect it from the C5 first. How is the battery connected to the C5 ?? (Sinclair key switch or other?)

Offline mike7201

« Reply #6 on: 18, September, 2009 - 10:25:45 »
The battery is not a Sinclair battery.  It connects to the C5 via a C5alive wiring kit.  Something I have found very useful and easy to use.  Safe too!

The battery is something the seller purchased.  It's got a handle so you can carry it.

What happens if I reverse the C5?  Should I turn it off, or do I have to disconnect the battery?

I can't access the charger at this time, so will have to check when I see it whether it has a meter.  I think it does.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
« Reply #7 on: 18, September, 2009 - 10:48:54 »
Thats great the C5alive wiring kit is what most of us use - sounds like you can just use the normal battery charger on your battery.
It is worth mentioning that when you reverse your C5 go slowly - if you reverse it too fast you can cause damage to the electronics.

- charge and enjoy !!!!

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 18, September, 2009 - 10:49:48 »
Hi Mike,

Glad to hear you got your new prized possession home safe and sound and managed a few fun packed miles of successful "road testing". The "C5 grin" is a standard accessory  ;D

One important point to note is never push your c5 backwards at anything more than a slow walking pace. The motor will act as a generator and cause a few unpleasant snags with the electrics .

As for the battery, the kit fitted to your c5 means you are able to use any 12v car/leisure battery that will fit in the space allocated. This means  you can use a standard car charger when charging your chosen battery - there is also the option of converting the Sinclair charger if you want to.

There are several threads on the forum showing which batteries people use, similar to this ;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=632.0

The debate about car batteries is a fair point, Adam Harper quite rightly points out that the C5's were not specifically designed to use car batteries and there is the potential for damage to be caused.
All I would say is that all my c5's have been running for a few years now on car batteries and have not suffered any damage as yet.
Plus most of the c5's that took part in the 64mile L2B in May '07 also ran on car batteries with no problems - so I am happy with them.

As always, the choice is yours though.

Enjoy the beastie , and keep us informed of how you get on - don't forget to add a few piccies when you can  8)

Offline mike7201

« Reply #9 on: 18, September, 2009 - 12:38:20 »
Many thanks,

I'm looking forward to getting home from work and taking it out again!

No doubt there will be many more questions...

Just called Adam Harper, and I've ordered a mast as the one I used last night was a make-shift one and it fell apart on my travels.  Regretfully it was dark, so I couldn't find it.  I think I'd be doing it a favour to have a nice new one though.

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 18, September, 2009 - 21:14:06 »
Many thanks,

I'm looking forward to getting home from work and taking it out again!

No doubt there will be many more questions...

Just called Adam Harper, and I've ordered a mast as the one I used last night was a make-shift one and it fell apart on my travels.  Regretfully it was dark, so I couldn't find it.  I think I'd be doing it a favour to have a nice new one though.

The masts are okay, but I prefer my custom made flag  ;D

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #11 on: 19, September, 2009 - 09:56:54 »
Yeah The C5's are well cool, and the kids love them.  My Son Mark and me love to go out and about by C5.

Some things just dont date, and the C5 is one of them !  Glad your enjoying your C5.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #12 on: 19, September, 2009 - 20:22:54 »
Ok, here's my next barrier - how do I charge the battery?  My parents tell me that I have to un-screw the caps on the top to allow ventillation.  Do I need to do this?  I have a Maplins charger which claims it can charge batteries of a 12v nature, but I called the seller, and he said he hasn't used that particular charger. 

So, it's all a little woolly!  Should I use this - http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=33070 and if so, how?  How do I know when the battery is charged?

Offline mike7201

« Reply #13 on: 19, September, 2009 - 20:35:52 »
Just spoke to the legend who is C5 Martin!  I think we have it sorted.

I'll update where I can.

Thanks Martin!

Mike

Offline mike7201

« Reply #14 on: 20, September, 2009 - 21:56:34 »
I'll be riding my C5 to work on Tuesday (weather permitting).  I've cleaned it and it looks great. 

My workplace is located approx. 7 miles from my house, but it's either down-hill or on the level, so I am assuming that 'coasting' would be the order of the day wherever possible.  I've planned to set off at 08.00, allowing me 1hr to do what would take 30 minutes on the bus.  One of my work colleagues has agreed to cycle alongside, or within close proximity when I travel, in case I have a 'blow out' or electrical fire or something.  I think if anything were to happen I'd just panic!

I'm worried that all my power segments will disappear well before I've made it to my destination, yet I have noticed that if this happens, I can switch the C5 off and on again, and I have a full set of LED's to play with as if I have just started with a newly charged battery.  Is this normal?

Then I worry that something else may happen.  But I want to do it, to prove to myself that I can, and to others that a C5 is a great machine to travel in.

I'll be wearing my cycle helmet, as I think mixing with commuting traffic will cause a stir with the locals, not to mention other cyclists on the paths I plan to ride on.