News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Hello from Bournemouth  (Read 3973 times)

POZE

Hello from Bournemouth
« on: 21, November, 2009 - 08:29:34 »
Hello all
Thought id introduce myself, my names Paul Grice and I'm from Bournemouth. Im new to C5 ownership having brought my first one on a whim about 3 months ago.

I was basically bored at work and had a quick brake, i went onto ebay and just thought of a C5, so did a search and found quite a few. I didnt want to travel anywhere as it would be a secretive deal, and low and behold there was one 'complete' in Ringwood which is a very short drive from my work.

I messaged him as it was on for £150 and i said that if it didnt sell i would give him £120 and collect the same day on my lunch break.  He then called me the following day as it didnt sell and i went down and put it on my 1956's beetle roof rack! It fitted perfect with the wheels overhanging each end.

Got iy home late that night and left it there until the morning, hoping the wife wouldnt see it! ;)

POZE

Re: Hello from Bournemouth
« Reply #1 on: 21, November, 2009 - 08:34:02 »
part 2

I then procedeed to work on it for a weekend, i soldered new quick release conections and purchased a small but high quality battery - i dont plan on driving it miles and miles, so a small battery that was easy to get in and out was my priority.

I have since cleaned her using initially CIV Cream (or something like that), but found that Celulose thinners on a tooth brush was much better for what i had stain wise. I then fitted C5alive/Martin  parts such as new brake cables, chain bounce kit, bulb etc.

I also used Adam Harper for loads of (missing/accesso) bits: chain tensioner, mirrors, side & tonneau, Cheater (which is so 1980s randomly oversized and silly! but also good!), mudf, high vis mast and last night the rear lock and key.

con

POZE

« Reply #2 on: 21, November, 2009 - 08:41:27 »
finally...
So ive driven it quite a lot, mostly with my  2 yr old daughter who fits perfectly on the lap and rests her feet on the tunnel! she wears a bike hat and loves it!!

Current problems are around the rear brake axle/bearing area. Mine had the entire brake missing, like every part, so i spent a small fortune on these and now i think theres a bearing missing! so C5 is outside with the wheel off and i suspect out of action for another week! rubbish

Anyway i love the forum and its great that people are using their C5s and for people like C5alive/AdamH to be selling and helping owners is quality. I  was meant to sell mine, but ive told the wife that its a definete keeper!

Other interests of mine are Tamiya RC cars- own around 40 of them, Raleigh Chopper MK2s, own 7 i think.

Cheers, Paul

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 21, November, 2009 - 08:42:09 »
Great stuff Paul, welcome to the forum and the fun ownership of a C5, the best fun is getting together and going out and about (normal stopping at a pub or two) come and join us when you can, will be great to see your C5 on your Bettle's roof rack. I had a 1969 1300 Beetle about 15 years ago and used to go to the Bug Jams at Santa Pod, fantastic fun and memories. Look forward to seeing you some day.

Retro Andy.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #4 on: 21, November, 2009 - 08:47:02 »
Raleigh Chopper !!! I want one, but can't efford one yet :-[ , but then I do want another Sinclair C5, a Raleigh Burner, and a Yamaha Diversion. I'm got my fingers crossed Santa will get one of them  :D So if you have a rough one going at a good price one day let me know please.

Retro Andy.

Karl

« Reply #5 on: 21, November, 2009 - 10:23:05 »
Hi Paul - we had a c5alive run along the seafront at Bournemouth a little while back , created quite a stir  ;D

Glad to see you getting the c5 bug  8) , dont forget to post a few piccies - everyone likes pictures  :P

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #6 on: 21, November, 2009 - 10:46:20 »
And some pictures of your Beetle and Choppers please.

Retro Andy.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #7 on: 21, November, 2009 - 15:15:57 »
Welcome to the forum mate - hope the link Andy posted clears up the rear brake set up - if not just ask - enjoy your C5 and hope to see you on a C5Alive run soon.

Marty

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #8 on: 21, November, 2009 - 17:37:29 »
Hi Paul,

as a fellow 'C5 Newbee' i can vouch for the quality of this forums membership and administration staff, the help available in here is just amazing and given in the honest hope of increasing the C5's population i.e. today Bournemouth - tomorrow the world (Q evil demonic laugh!).

seriously, a warm welcome to some seriously great company

regs
alan

POZE

« Reply #9 on: 28, November, 2009 - 16:50:30 »
Hello all
Thanks for the good wishes! and help so far.

Heres a few photos , enjoy!

anf finally one of my favs, totally cained and the seat is totally seized solid! no movement despite hammering and soaking and heating!

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #10 on: 29, November, 2009 - 05:18:37 »
Great photo's mate - love the collection of chopper's and the C5 looks good on that bug!

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #11 on: 29, November, 2009 - 07:09:58 »
Thanks for posting the picture's love your oval screen bug "No worries" , and the collection of old choppers is really cool also,

Retro Andy.

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #12 on: 29, November, 2009 - 17:12:55 »
Hi Paul, Mike here.  I'm from Weymouth, so you're not too far from me.  Hope you enjoy your C5!

Mine's off the road at the moment as the chain came off the other night and I still haven't had a moment to myself to re-fit it.

Regards,

Mike