News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: Battery Monitors  (Read 5413 times)

Karl

Battery Monitors
« on: 17, July, 2010 - 19:28:55 »
I've been busy restoring a couple of c5's recently and chose to run them on a relay, without the usual Pod and Control Box set-up.

When doing this, you can utilise an original heat sensor to provide some thermal protection for the motor, but I don't think it would be an easy task to try and build in some battery protection. To help prevent over discharging the battery, I've been trying out some battery monitors to at least give the user some indication of what state the battery is in.

This is the first one I tried, purchased from Ebay;

It has a nice large red LED type display, showing the battery voltage only. It cost about £6 and takes a short while to arrive from China. I decided to fit the monitor into a "dead" pod to try and preserve some of the original look of the c5. When fitting, there are five wires to choose from which I feel makes wiring it up a little more tricky than I thought it would be.  The instruction sheet is downloaded from the Ebay advert. Of the three monitors I ordered from these guys,two were found to be defective. But, I have to say, they were quickly replaced by the manufacturer with minimum fuss - so no complaints.
« Last Edit: 17, July, 2010 - 19:30:49 by BooBoo »

Karl

Re: Battery Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 17, July, 2010 - 19:38:35 »
This is the second battery monitor I tried out, again purchased from Ebay;

This one costs about £12 and comes from a nice gent in Scotland. It displays a series of lights to indicate what state of charge the battery is in, as well as a sleep mode to save power usage and a small button to "wake" the unit.

I didn't fit this one "into" the pod - I just stuck it on top - but there is always the option to do so. Maybe even dismantle the unit and place the small lights etc directly into the pod facia ? It is a straightforward fit with only two wires to connect.

If you do purchase one of these then let the guy know you intend to use it on a c5. He needs to make an alteration to the unit so that it can cope with the back EMF of the motor running. My first one of these burnt out but was quickly repaired & modified before being returned to me - again, no complaints at all.
« Last Edit: 17, July, 2010 - 19:47:57 by BooBoo »

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 17, July, 2010 - 19:44:58 »
This is the third unit I've tried and is my present favourite of the lot;

Sadly my photography skills do not do this unit justice. It has a lovely blue backlit display and shows a nice large,clear readout of the battery charge.

It is yet another purchase via Ebay and only costs around £3 ,delivered from Hong Kong. The unit only has two wires to connect, meaning fitment is very straightforward with no instructions necessary.

I've fitted this one within a Pod casing and am really pleased with it.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #3 on: 17, July, 2010 - 19:52:28 »
Looking really good Karl - Matt is loving number 3 and would like to mod Goldfinger !!! (thanks bud)
« Last Edit: 17, July, 2010 - 20:32:39 by radiomarty »

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 18, July, 2010 - 09:33:14 »
Looking really good Karl - Matt is loving number 3 and would like to mod Goldfinger !!! (thanks bud)

I've ordered a few more, if one arrives in time for the MGFest (..possible, but not definite  ;D) I'll bring one along for him .

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #5 on: 18, July, 2010 - 10:08:46 »
I like the third lcd display aswell, will it be possible for such a setup with just the relay and the upgraded gearbox when its available ? as I am thinking this might be what I will do when I do get another C5 meaning I don't have to find one complete and then upgrade brake etc.

Retro Andy

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 18, July, 2010 - 21:27:49 »
All the monitors shown are fitted to c5's running on a relay only, no control box or pod.

The hope is that not only will they be far more reliable, but also cheaper to fix if they do ever go wrong. A new relay and monitor is a lot cheaper than a control box/pod so the theory is sound  ;)

Offline frankev

• Battery level: 0
  • One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #7 on: 05, January, 2011 - 13:49:19 »
I think it is so good from you, Karl, to post pictures that are going to be made in august 2011.
Wow, you really rock, Karl.
But the nr three you send to me works great and looks really futuristic!   ;D ;D

Frank

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 05, January, 2011 - 18:21:08 »
I think it is so good from you, Karl, to post pictures that are going to be made in august 2011.
Wow, you really rock, Karl.
But the nr three you send to me works great and looks really futuristic!   ;D ;D

Frank

..probably a case of "fumble fingers" when resetting the the date/time on the camera after a battery change  ;D

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
Battery Monitors
« Reply #9 on: 15, May, 2011 - 22:13:12 »
HI ALL JUST FOUND THIS ON EBAY IT`S 6/12/24 VOLT MONITOR ...EBAY ITEM No 190476821879

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 15, May, 2011 - 22:20:16 »
HI ALL JUST FOUND THIS ON EBAY IT`S 6/12/24 VOLT MONITOR ...EBAY ITEM No 190476821879

looks very similar to the second one featured earlier in this topic (stuck to the pod) , if it is the same it will need the modification as mentioned earlier 
« Last Edit: 15, May, 2011 - 22:38:17 by BooBoo »

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #11 on: 16, May, 2011 - 08:33:23 »
Hi Karl you are right is does look the same (I should have looked at the earlier topic) bye Chas

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #12 on: 16, May, 2011 - 14:01:45 »
They do look similar, but not quite the same. Possibly different.

Guess we will find out when they arrive!

Keep us informed Chas :)