News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Hello First Post  (Read 2899 times)

Rustychain

Hello First Post
« on: 02, February, 2011 - 15:37:57 »
Hi All- what an excellent forum this is- there is some incredible engineering going on here.

I collected a poorly c5 from a forum member last week- one of his spares that he didn't need- I've been after one for ages and finally saw one at a reasonable price.

Once I establish that the motor and gearbox works ok the plan is as follows:

1. Strip it down and wire-brush/rustproof /paint chassis
2. Clean the bodywork as much as possible - using the "electric toothbrush" on a powerdrill method
3. Replace front brake and cables
4. Get it up and running with a relay

Once that is done I'll look at the control box and pod- the wiring loom was badly hacked by a previous owner so looks as though there is quite a lot of work there

Now- I'm planning on running power cables through a cut-out switch, a new keyswitch and then (via a fusebox etc)  to a triumph ST1050 handlebar control- that gives me a push button to power the relay- it also gives me a "kill switch" on the handlebar- I can use that as another power cut-out or (unless someone tells me it is a very bad idea) a "cruise" control to give a constant feed to the motor relay... I've also bought a motorbike unit for the right hand side for lights, indicators and horn.

I have bought, off ebay, an LED battery monitor that gives a range of coloured LED's and also flashes when voltage drops below safe level. I have also bought a 100A automotive ammeter and (as an alternative) an LCD ammeter (both with shunt) so I can see what current I'm pulling- just need to decide if I want 100A cables running along chassis...

Once this is all up and running I'd like to re-fit all the original pod and controller and then convert it to a JPS replica- love the photos in the May 2010 Classic and Sportscar..... That is obviously a long-term project. If I can get this running in the next month I'll be happy

cheers

Andrew

Offline Pyrasanth

• Battery level: 0
Re: Hello First Post
« Reply #1 on: 02, February, 2011 - 18:16:34 »
Hi,

Like you i' fairly new on here and also being a new C5 owner this site is great for information and the guys are very helpful. Get some photo's listed we all like the photo's helps me understand exactly what you trying to achieve from start to finsh of the project.

Thanks

Gary

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 03, February, 2011 - 18:11:26 »
Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum mate  ;D

Looking forward to seeing your completed project c5 at something like Brooklands or the AER event  ;) You'd have a top laugh sending it down the drag strip !

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 05, February, 2011 - 05:59:13 »
Hi, Andrew and welcome to the forum, look forward to meeting some new faces this year.  :)

Retro Andy.

cheese

Re: Zike available
« Reply #4 on: 05, March, 2011 - 18:57:33 »
Hi it is my first post also.  My hubby is a real techno person but he says we have an old zike in our garge if anyone would like to take it on. 

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #5 on: 05, March, 2011 - 19:41:02 »
Hi there any help you want just ask ..bye Chas

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: Zike available
« Reply #6 on: 06, March, 2011 - 17:13:32 »
Hi it is my first post also.  My hubby is a real techno person but he says we have an old zike in our garge if anyone would like to take it on. 

You are most welcome to start a new topic in the items for sale section, just give a brief description of item, price etc, a contact number or where you are and if possible a picture.
You can do this for free, so good luck, I'm sure it will soon find a new home quickly, I know I would like it.

Retro Andy