News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: Hello there, greetings from the Netherlands  (Read 6697 times)

Offline frankev

• Battery level: 0
  • One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
Hello there, greetings from the Netherlands
« on: 23, October, 2010 - 16:02:48 »
As it is good practice to introduce yourself, Here I am. My Name is Frank, I am 54 yrs and bought a C5 last week on the internet for about 100 GBR. It wasn't working at all, when I connected the battery it screamed darkish, while moving forward very slowly sounding scratchy.
At home with my new family member, I went into my shed, took off the left wheel, and to my suprise, no rust at all, engine looking new, chain and engine in pristine condition. I unscrewed the engine holder and figured out that the white plastic flap right next to it could be used to push the engine to the left and so I pulled the engine a few millimeters to the front so this flap pushed the engine to the right. Mounted the wheel back on and drove away. Smoothly as if brand new. No noises, just enjoyment. Some air in the tires and I took it out for a spin and drove about 3 hours non-stop around the city. Beautiful. My battery is 96 Amps so I figured it would last 4 hours or so. Then disaster stroke. I hit something under my C5 and the belt came off. It was torn and no use at all anymore. I googled my way to the C5alive shop and ordered a new belt, the 18 mm one to be secure. Took a few days to deliver and there I am again.
I saw my first C5 about 20 Years ago and always wanted to own one. In short, I am a happy person now.

Karl

Re: Hello there, greetings from the Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: 24, October, 2010 - 12:13:02 »
Nice to see you on the forum  - even if you did get deleted first time around ! (apologies for that) :o :-X

Sounds like you got a proper bargain with that c5 mate ,always great news to hear of another one being put back on the road 8)

The number of c5alive forum members on the continent is growing, maybe we should sort out a European meet for next year !

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #2 on: 24, October, 2010 - 13:42:14 »
Welcome to the forum (again) good to here from you  :)

Retro Andy

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #3 on: 24, October, 2010 - 13:49:00 »
Welcome and a great C5 story there - glad you found and problems just ask !!!

Offline frankev

« Reply #4 on: 24, October, 2010 - 16:42:51 »
Thank you for the welcome notices. To be complete, I have to tell you a little more.
Since I had a new toy and could not play with it, because the belt broke, I used my C5 to walk the dog. I have a Border Collie that really needs to move and walk a lot, and he loves it to.
So I took his leash, made a circle of it and put it over one shoulder behind my back, sat down in my C5, then clicked the dog on (His name is Frey) the leash and off we went. Really, much faster then Mr Sinclair originally intended when he figured out to put a 250 Watt engine in it.
Frey pulled me around the whole city, never seen him so happy before. And I think that he made an average of about 40 km an hour, or as you say 25 mph.( Including pee stops ) ;D
At first I held his leash in one hand, but then I could use only one break, and he almost teared my arm off. So this circle leash solution behind my back is the solution. I will make a movie off this soon and put it on You tube. Now, since Karl send me the new belt so quickly and my C5 is doing it by itself again, I still take out the battery sometimes and walk (sit) Frey again.
The thing I never predicted was the struggle going on in my house now cause the kids want to ride it too all of the time. somehow we will find a way to share it sensible.

greetings again
« Last Edit: 24, October, 2010 - 16:49:34 by frankev »

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #5 on: 24, October, 2010 - 19:43:29 »
Welcome to the forum ...  :)

I will look forward to seeing the Dog pulling the C5, i might try it with mine ....   ;D

This forum is a great place to be for everything C5 ...

JOHN      PLOD11

Offline frankev

« Reply #6 on: 25, October, 2010 - 11:55:38 »
Hello again,
I took some pictures of my Sinclair
hope it works this way

you see the mirror i found doesn't look to bad. Still if there is anyone that has a original mirror or two for me, please let me know.
And I do stil have to do some cleaning to do, but that will happen soon, I read on the forum that Cif might do the trick, so I'll give it a try.

greetz frank
« Last Edit: 25, October, 2010 - 12:10:32 by frankev »

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 25, October, 2010 - 12:24:44 »

Nice looking c5 there mate.  I built two for the guys at Brooklands running on relays - nice and simple. If you want to keep closer to the original look,you can fit a battery monitor in the pod housing of a "dead" pod;
  http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1273.0

I agree, the mirror isn't too bad and probably works better than the original Sinclair item - although the original looks absolutely superb it doesn't really give you that much help. Easier to turn your head  ;D

Offline frankev

« Reply #8 on: 25, October, 2010 - 12:33:19 »
Yes, BooBoo, I do love the number three, but then I also need the black pod housing.
You know if they are available ?

Karl

« Reply #9 on: 25, October, 2010 - 12:35:59 »
The battery monitors are probably still available on Ebay, if not I do have a spare one here .Do you need a pod housing as well ?

Offline frankev

« Reply #10 on: 25, October, 2010 - 12:59:16 »
Yes I do,

You have one of those as well? Just tell me the price and we make it happening.
So the battery indicator and the pod housing.

Karl

« Reply #11 on: 25, October, 2010 - 14:20:36 »
Yes I do,

You have one of those as well? Just tell me the price and we make it happening.
So the battery indicator and the pod housing.

I've received your email and replied.. :)

Offline frankev

« Reply #12 on: 16, November, 2010 - 12:44:28 »
Since I bought a road virgin as well, I found it about time to make you al jealous, so here is a picture from my old (three weeks) and new one (on top)
The new one never drove a single yard and is going to get a great maintenance  next week. Everything has to be greased and oiled again.
 ;D And off course I do have the front wheel cap as well.

Offline frankev

« Reply #13 on: 16, November, 2010 - 12:48:28 »
So BooBoo, I need a new keyhanger as well  ;)

Offline frankev

« Reply #14 on: 27, February, 2011 - 22:25:12 »
Darn,

This C5 hobby is getting out of hand a bit. It's only four months since i was infected by this virus.
The counter is now on six, plus another one, complete, but in parts, and my lady says, at least three have to go, :o
decisions, decisions. I think the auction at the international meeting will bring salvation for my marriage. At least thats what I hope for. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Here i took my two youngest out for a ride and a piccie from my latest two C5's. Wow, they are so complete. I sold one, the very first one, already to make place. :'(

We did the first test run for the achterhoek run. about 25 km's. No problems what so ever, only a little bit cold. I am driving the seven gear one.  8)

The latest two I found, the one with indicators is with two battery's, guess i wanna make that one into a 24 volt version. And hurray, I managed to find mirrors for all off them.
Sorry Karl, I desperately going to need some more of those stickers ;D

greetz

Frank