News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Am i doing something wrong ???  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Punjanaman

• Battery level: 2
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Am i doing something wrong ???
« on: 26, January, 2013 - 19:30:34 »
Hi Everybody,
 I need a little help.I posted a thread last week about my faulty pod and what options i had about repairing/replacing. The out-come was "if it's broken you have to buy a new one" ...so i bit the bullet and bought a "working unit" from e-bay for £55.Problem is it's not working either, i believe the seller is honest and have already contacted him about returns, and i don't believe he has knowling sold me a duff unit...which leads me to my question...am i doing something wrong???Iam obviously not using the original sinclair/oldham battery and "Clive" is not yet lifted from the workbench, however when the battery is connected the headlight and tail-light work and the  motor runs when the handlebar switch is touched...There is enough life in the battery to turn the motor unloaded !!! is it possible that the battery could be poor enough to turn the motor but so low on voltage it doesn't activate the electronics??? I am 100% confident the polarity is correct so i know i haven't done anything  too stupid ...is there anything in the control box which could effect signals to the pod ????
Any ideas???

Offline danny7147

• Battery level: 10
  • If at first you don't succeed... pay someone else.
    • Bikes To The Future
Re: Am i doing something wrong ???
« Reply #1 on: 26, January, 2013 - 19:48:42 »
It sounds like exactly the same as mine. I just had both control box and POD checked and repaired, but still no life in the Pod which makes me think I've got a broken wire in the loom.

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #2 on: 26, January, 2013 - 20:01:09 »
Is the POD completly dead, if so then its ,most probably a lack of 5 volts from the control board. This could be the 5 volt regulator or the resistor that feeds it. Either way both a simply fix if you can use a solder iron.

There is a step by step guide on the forum somewhere, a very common fault.

Where are you located ??

John

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #3 on: 26, January, 2013 - 20:13:09 »

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 27, January, 2013 - 09:13:47 »
This may not be the answer but I'm a firm believer in trying the easy stuff first.  Check there is no corrosion in the connector block at the end of the red cable  , I always squirt some contact cleaner in there . Also check that the pins at the back of the pod have not been bent when connecting the red cable - bending a couple of those pins is very easily done .

Offline Punjanaman

• Battery level: 2
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #5 on: 27, January, 2013 - 11:06:12 »
HI Everyone,
The pod is completely dead...no lights of any kind, nothing ...I had the body off to restore the chassis so i am pretty sure there is no damage to the loom and i have already checked the connections at the red block/pod connection for corrosion.
This loom to the pod was disconnected when i bought Clive and the pins were bent on his original pod i simply straightened and was happy there were ok.I will get out the multi meter and check for a 5 volt supply ....

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 5
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #6 on: 27, January, 2013 - 20:41:54 »
Hi Everybody,
 I need a little help.I posted a thread last week about my faulty pod and what options i had about repairing/replacing. The out-come was "if it's broken you have to buy a new one" ...so i bit the bullet and bought a "working unit" from e-bay for £55.Problem is it's not working either, i believe the seller is honest and have already contacted him about returns, and i don't believe he has knowling sold me a duff unit...which leads me to my question...am i doing something wrong???Iam obviously not using the original sinclair/oldham battery and "Clive" is not yet lifted from the workbench, however when the battery is connected the headlight and tail-light work and the  motor runs when the handlebar switch is touched...There is enough life in the battery to turn the motor unloaded !!! is it possible that the battery could be poor enough to turn the motor but so low on voltage it doesn't activate the electronics??? I am 100% confident the polarity is correct so i know i haven't done anything  too stupid ...is there anything in the control box which could effect signals to the pod ????
Any ideas???

I noticed that pod.