News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: new owner / help required  (Read 2335 times)

rlm

new owner / help required
« on: 29, April, 2010 - 21:14:09 »
Hi, I have owned 2 c5's for about 1 year now and have finally got around to getting them running. The first one I found at a local tip, I have always been interested in Sinclair items and have quite a collection of compuers, calculators and a  watch etc. I was at my local tip last year when I saw a C5, as you can imagine my eyes nearly popped out of my head, my reaction was split between I have to have this and how could someone throw such a piece of British history away, after a careful negotiation (approx the cost of 3 pints of larger) it was mine. In my opinion it is a nice example, complete with key, tool kit, battery, and all original paperwork, the tyres still have the thin moulding along the crest of the tyre, i do not think it had much use. I am getting some help with Karl with this one.
The second one I bought cheaply on ebay last year, the original idea was to use this for spares for the other one I had, I now think that they could both run as they are, the problem I have with the second one is that I do not have a key, does anyone have any ideas about connecting a battery to this without using the key ignition. I would greatly appreciate any help. Many thanks Paul

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: new owner / help required
« Reply #1 on: 30, April, 2010 - 08:29:02 »
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum - Wow I always scan the tip when I go but as yet no such luck - sounds like a great find.Regarding the one with no key. The best option is to remove the original set up and install a C5Alive wiring kit - this will allow you to use any battery as the terminals just clip on and also prevents any damage if you should connect it the wrong way. I know they are not showing in the shop at the moment but I think Karl could tell you when they are due in. Have fun an if poss post some pics of the both.
Regards Radiomarty

rlm

« Reply #2 on: 08, May, 2010 - 22:11:11 »
Wow , we are up and running, many thanks to Karl for his help, what a c5 genius. All of my tribe have had a go, I have had great reactions, I took it around the "block" had some great comments, "wow that's cool" .. "I haven't seen one of these for years"..."did you make it"...., I was really enjoying this, the comments and attention were amazing, I was near the end on my maiden voyage when I noticed one of the rear wheel middle sections was missing, I was running around like an idiot trying to find it, I took my car out and found it, luckily no one had run over it. It was time to put it away for the evening, I had such a great time after waiting a year to try it, it was better than I had imagined, so exciting. I was going back into to my drive when I was stopped by a couple, what would they ask, wow what a vehicle, where did you get it, what is it?? no, none of these, they asked the way to the train station, I had a chuckle and put it away! I had been asked by my work colleagues to video my maiden voyage but I decided to take it to work the next day to show them as my boss had been away on holiday...unfortunately I was caught.. more to follow..

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 09, May, 2010 - 08:52:46 »
I keep looking at the local tip for my next restoration project, but no luck yet. What a lucky man you are Paul, I bet you go to the tip when ever you can  :) and as Radiomarty says the C5 Alive wiring kit is the only way if you wish to have a C5 you can use.

Retro Andy

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 09, May, 2010 - 10:31:36 »
Yep - sounds like the famous "C5 grin" making an appearance . Great to hear you're enjoying the c5 experience mate  8)