News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Questions for Experts from Newbie  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Kudos

• Battery level: 1
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Questions for Experts from Newbie
« on: 13, December, 2012 - 15:06:22 »
Hi Guys,

I just posted an introduction in the intros sub-forum so please take a look.

Onto the questions, I have spent some time searching for answers, there's nothing worse than a forum newbie asking a load of easy questions!

Can someone tell me:

What's the dropout distance on the front forks?
Are the front forks made of steel?
Has anyone converted a C5 to front hubmotor?

Has anyone converted a C5 to to rear driven chain and sprocket hubmotor or just plain rear hubmotor?

The 12V 30Amp Max system gives a max power of 360 Watts Peak which seems very puny to me coming from the ebike world (I run my ebike on 48V 30-40Amp giving 1.5KW-2KW depending on which bike I'm using. I'm currently building a 80V 40A bike too 3.2KW).
Surely this 360W is not enough power to get you up steep-ish hills at even 15mph?

I see there are various options for 24V conversions using a different controller of course combined with a different wiring harness, but there is some confusion about if the belt linkage mechanism is up to the task long term?

Probably enough questions for now, if anyone could help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Lee

marra

Re: Questions for Experts from Newbie
« Reply #1 on: 13, December, 2012 - 15:52:27 »
Hi. Front forks are steel and are 85mm. There has been someone fitted a front hub on this forum as so have I. You may hear people tell you that the front is to light, however I never had any problems and I fitted a Green Hornet and Electric bull to the front of mine and achieved med torque gearing at 40 mph without any steering fault or wheel slip, try to throttle off when cornering though.
  As to the rear hub and chain drive , that was me also :

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2016.0.html

Regarding the front I have found that Bafang motors ( BMS systems ) and also from Suzhou and 8fun can provide good speed and torque front or rear if you go with chain drive.
 Crystalyte  is also another option for direct drive if you go for rear chain drive if speed and torque is what you want however for 72 v the Red Hornet is proven to be a good buy.
 You saying that you are building an 80v ? What controller are you going for, 72v is the US ( fast boy standard ). I have not come accros a proven 80v.
 M

Offline Kudos

• Battery level: 1
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #2 on: 13, December, 2012 - 16:28:43 »
Hi Marra,

Looks like we are on the same page with regards to using ebike parts. Fantastic info and very nice work you've done there.

I'll be reading your posts to see what info I can glean, but from first glance it looks like 36V may be enough.

You ask about my 80V ebike build, I'm using a standard Crystalyte sensorless controller, see here:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38218

and here:

http://shop.crystalyte-europe.com/product.php?productid=16464&cat=296&page=1

I was looking for a front hub that was 12.5inches but could only find a 12inch, maybe use a bigger tyre.

BMC and 8fun motors are all good, but I tend to use the MAC motor which is almost identical to the BMC only half the price.

You can get controllers up to silly voltages now, do a search for Lyen controllers. Plenty of people up at 120V +

Right better do some reading.

Thanks,
Lee

marra

« Reply #3 on: 13, December, 2012 - 16:52:26 »
Hi. Just had a quick look at your frame. I have built a few rear and full sus bikes and all have proven difficult. Try to get the rear adjuster to provide full lockout if going ebike unless you have a very successful kit to work, if you go on uneven ground you will get the controller to shimmer the amps and could cause it to overheat ( the bike will feel like you are throttling on and off very quickly ) battery damage would be caused also. If you are going rear wheel as I hope you are then I see no place for hub torque arms, so a little fab may be in order unless you use a reverse dog leg ( I will find supplier later ,I may have some in stock ). Take care in the rear stem carrier as most factory ones only go to 7-10 KG, your kit will be more than this but on bumps will more than double with the energy given, you will need a 30kg proven rack. personally I think the full sus do not really function on ebikes in my experience and when I have attended the shows, most stay away as further problems do occur . I do like what you are doing and will help, however this topic for you bike would have to be done off this forum as its not C5 related. good look though. M

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 14, December, 2012 - 10:08:16 »
.... I do like what you are doing and will help, however this topic for you bike would have to be done off this forum as its not C5 related. good look though. M

..feel free to use the "Other interests" section mate, always enjoy reading about other fun projects  :)

marra

« Reply #5 on: 14, December, 2012 - 12:46:18 »
Ah, forgot about that section  ;) . I can waffle on more.

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #6 on: 14, December, 2012 - 14:35:03 »
I can waffle on more.

:o :o :o :o :o ;)