News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: C5 alternative indicator options.  (Read 10428 times)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: C5 alternative indicator options.
« Reply #15 on: 10, April, 2012 - 13:37:51 »
I have to agree the light's on your C5 look really good giving it a whole new modern feel - well done that man !! :) :)

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #16 on: 11, April, 2012 - 11:15:23 »
The original fronts were old BL units I believe, so the same as fitted to Reliant Scimitars/Bond Bugs etc. and you can get them quite cheaply BUT the rears were made by Sinclair as far as I know and were only fitted to the C5.

Correct! The fronts are generic BL side repeaters MK1 Metro, Land Rover ect

Purely for clarification that's not entirely true, they were in fact custom made for the C5, having a lighter orange for a lower wattage bulb. But the basic design is as you say, from the same factory to I bet.

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #17 on: 12, April, 2012 - 18:02:02 »
The original fronts were old BL units I believe, so the same as fitted to Reliant Scimitars/Bond Bugs etc. and you can get them quite cheaply BUT the rears were made by Sinclair as far as I know and were only fitted to the C5.

Correct! The fronts are generic BL side repeaters MK1 Metro, Land Rover ect

Purely for clarification that's not entirely true, they were in fact custom made for the C5, having a lighter orange for a lower wattage bulb. But the basic design is as you say, from the same factory to I bet.

My original c5 set still have the part number "AFU3341" which is the same as the austin number.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #18 on: 12, April, 2012 - 19:43:27 »
That may be the bottom half of the assembly ?

Karl

« Reply #19 on: 13, April, 2012 - 09:05:08 »
Umpa is right, I think we were both there at the time Adam Harper told us that although the front indicators are the same design as metro and other BL cars, they are a slightly different colour due to Sinclair wanting very low power bulbs in them. This obviously pre-dates the fantastic LED stuff available now.

Just like a few other good Sinclair ideas (such as the original Sinclair horn kit) it seems to be an expensive way of correcting a problem that doesn't really exist. 

Offline fezza_rs

« Reply #20 on: 13, April, 2012 - 10:40:12 »
Just like a few other good Sinclair ideas (such as the original Sinclair horn kit) it seems to be an expensive way of correcting a problem that doesn't really exist.

About right for the c5 lol

Offline frankev

• Battery level: 0
  • One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #21 on: 13, April, 2012 - 10:49:05 »

BooBoo, what do you mean? People on the bicycle-paths don't hear me riding behind them, so I need the horn kit. The other solution is to install a car horn. I installed a T-Ford horn (about 15 pounds, 110 db) but found that I am causing heart-attacks by my fellow bicycle-path users. ;D
The original hornkit has a very modest beep sound that doesn't let anybody step aside >:(.
I found the best solution in mounting a bicycle bell. The ding-dong sound is loud enough, without triggering annoyance  :o

To be without any kind of warning-signal thing seems like an existing problem.

greetz

Frank

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #22 on: 13, April, 2012 - 13:15:59 »
Hi Frank - I think Karl is referring to the fact Sinclair spent a huge amount of money researching and developing the right tone for the sinclair horn and as we all know the outcome really doesn't work - they would have been better using an of the shelf part and used the development money elsewhere  :) :)

Offline peckishere

• Battery level: 3
    • peckishere's Twitter
« Reply #23 on: 13, April, 2012 - 14:51:35 »
I was thinking if it were possible to 3D scan a pair of the original rear indicators and then finding a person / organization who would 3D print them out?.

For those who don't know about 3D printing, here is a mini documentary on 3D printing from the BBC:

http://youtu.be/hmxjLpu2BvY

For me this technology is very exiting, just think in the future if you break or loose any plastic part for your c5 you could print out a new one at home!. There are also ways of 3D printing metal parts but it is more expensive compared to plastic printing

Offline fezza_rs

« Reply #24 on: 13, April, 2012 - 15:08:54 »
I was thinking if it were possible to 3D scan a pair of the original rear indicators and then finding a person / organization who would 3D print them out?.

For those who don't know about 3D printing, here is a mini documentary on 3D printing from the BBC:

http://youtu.be/hmxjLpu2BvY

For me this technology is very exiting, just think in the future if you break or loose any plastic part for your c5 you could print out a new one at home!. There are also ways of 3D printing metal parts but it is more expensive compared to plastic printing

I can vacuum form a set but that does not let you replicate the lines that are on the inside of the lens to diffuse the light.

Karl

« Reply #25 on: 13, April, 2012 - 23:08:52 »
Hi Frank - I think Karl is referring to the fact Sinclair spent a huge amount of money researching and developing the right tone for the sinclair horn and as we all know the outcome really doesn't work - they would have been better using an of the shelf part and used the development money elsewhere  :) :)

...yep, that's what I was referring to  ;)

Spending all that time,effort and money on researching the best theoretical tone for a horn was , in my humble opinion , a bit of a waste of resources

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #26 on: 14, April, 2012 - 07:11:18 »
In regard to the buzzer this is what I have used. Also going to put it on my 24v conversion as all items, lights, horn, POD will be powered by 24v.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/high-power-buzzer-3221

Lance

Offline frankev

• Battery level: 0
  • One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #27 on: 14, April, 2012 - 09:36:07 »
For those of you that live in the Netherlands and have interest in 3-D printing.
The universities in our country's have a so called "fablab" You contact them here "info@fablabamersfoort.nl"
http://vimeo.com/11275970
Also we have a group of these people in Enschede they call themselfs "spullenmannen" contact info@spullenmannen.nl. They both have 3D printing and scanning gear.
You can use both of their machines and the 3-D printer after a appointment. First you have to load your design"preferred" in cad-cam. "or make a 3D scan" on the spot.
You pay 50 euro's for a complete model. and the use of the equipment. But, if you leave your design on their computer, for others to use as well, you don't have to pay anything, except some printing materials.
I think that there will be initiatives in England as well.

greetz

Frank