News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: ebay seller stripped a working c5 to sell the parts!  (Read 3818 times)

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
ebay seller stripped a working c5 to sell the parts!
« on: 10, March, 2010 - 20:22:08 »
This is quite shocking

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/montyljo/m.html?_nkw=c5

After all the hassle of flogging the bits (and probably having some he cant shift or will go for pennies) you have to wonder why he didnt just flog it as a complete unit!

Karl

Re: ebay seller stripped a working c5 to sell the parts!
« Reply #1 on: 10, March, 2010 - 21:31:53 »
As retroAndy said earlier, it is a shame when one gets broken for spares but the good news is that it can keep several more on the road.

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #2 on: 10, March, 2010 - 22:26:12 »
As retroAndy said earlier, it is a shame when one gets broken for spares but the good news is that it can keep several more on the road.

I would agree but as this was actually a runner, it just seems a total waste.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 11, March, 2010 - 06:54:54 »
I would like to see as many of them saved as possible, but then we must also take the chance to get spares to keep ours working and being able to use them having fun etc as a group of C5 fan's (or nutters ?) if I knew the seller I would have tryed to get them to keep it complete

Retro Andy.

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 11, March, 2010 - 08:34:22 »
Bit like the debate over the scrappage scheme where some really nice classics were scrapped....

I guess at the end of the day any owner can choose to scrap or keep a vehicle - it is their choice.

In a way everyone wins because we get to benefit from a supply of used spares and the owner maximises their financial return. I'd imagine most C5's requiring light restoration are close to being worth more in their component parts than as a whole.

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #5 on: 23, March, 2010 - 10:32:30 »
imo increasingly more so today Karl, i watch Ebay out of general curiosity, and noticed since i got into the scene, even 'poor' examples seem to be commanding better prices.

depends to som degree on the sellers location, Wales or Scotland for instance where hill's abound and a long way to go to collect it, locals think whats the point? and many long distance buyers don't bid, so the price paid is lower, but i wonder if the effort in collecting pays off due to likely a lower usage?

many seem only to need a good clean, lub and a set of decals to turn them into a tidy fun little investment.

regs
alan

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #6 on: 23, March, 2010 - 11:53:49 »
I picked one up in Wales for £60 but the drive followed by a nightshift nearly killed me !!!!

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #7 on: 23, March, 2010 - 19:49:07 »
My c5 price history goes as follows

Agro my c5 genesis £50 bought from a friend who was moving. complete with everything except mirror brackets and indicators (as it happens chas bought the mirrors off me!)

Freak £20 bought from c5 alives previous owner. all in parts but no motor,electrics or boot or wheel covers.

Project X £50 bought off ebay was just outside of nottingham. had a old non working c5 alive 24v conversion and a very badly done rear disc conversion. No boot or wheel covers.

The spares c5 bought for £50 off ebay near bury looked like a truck had hit its backside chassis very bent no gearbox or boot or wheel covers but did have electrics and motor. The shell ended up being the body shell for radiomartys goldfinger c5.

Spare motor, gearbox and wheel covers bought off ebay for £24 for the lot and only 5 miles away from me!

Boot £13 bought off ebay from lincoln from the above seller at the first post of this thread.

The bargains are out there you just have to find them and travel!

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 23, March, 2010 - 20:38:35 »

The bargains are out there you just have to find them and travel!

They certainly are, but luck also still comes into it. The parts have to either be close for collection or small enough for cheap postage. Otherwise,as techytype says, you have to factor in travelling costs - and having to travel a huge distance means the item is no longer a bargain once fuel costs are paid for.

Then there is the can of worms "is the item as described"  :-\