News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Reproduction Hi Viz Masts  (Read 31168 times)

Offline danny7147

• Battery level: 10
  • If at first you don't succeed... pay someone else.
    • Bikes To The Future
Re: Reproduction Hi Viz Masts
« Reply #15 on: 16, January, 2013 - 23:01:02 »
Like it Karl lol! Well I'm going to try starting to remake some of the hard to find parts for the C5... Mainly the hi viz mast, front light, rear light and indicators. With time and a bit of money it's possible, but I'm starting with the hi viz mast as it's the easiest shape to mould. The poles I've almost done now, I can do those now but in a lighter grey, and the chemicals today are to make the flag! So I'll keep you updated on how it's going with photos!

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 5
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #16 on: 17, January, 2013 - 06:57:12 »
Can't wait  :) :) :)

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #17 on: 17, January, 2013 - 22:01:27 »
First half of mould's poured and setting... For the time and amount of moulding silicone it's taken the prospect of doing the rear light's looking bleak, but one step at a time :-)

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #18 on: 17, January, 2013 - 22:15:29 »
First half of mould's poured and setting... For the time and amount of moulding silicone it's taken the prospect of doing the rear light's looking bleak, but one step at a time :-)

Look forward to seeing how it turns out. I would be interested in buying a replacement rear light for mine - my original is chipped on one corner and has damage to the inside lip.

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #19 on: 17, January, 2013 - 22:41:53 »
Hi Danny,

where there's a lot of moulding material required I used wooden blocks shaped to lower the volume.

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 5
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #20 on: 18, January, 2013 - 06:49:48 »
I would be interested in buying a replacement rear light for mine - my original is chipped on one corner and has damage to the inside lip.

same, my rear light is damaged. The man who owned it be for me was using it then the control box caught fire and the heat from the fire went up to the back light then there was a lump in the light  :P :P :P

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
« Reply #21 on: 18, January, 2013 - 09:10:30 »
Hi there Danny here is what I am sending to you today  for moulding 1 front +1 back  Indicator split ready for moulding ...Both are complete no broken parts best of luck Chas

• Millennium Member
« Reply #22 on: 18, January, 2013 - 18:06:27 »
Hi there Danny items posted (indicators) 1st class .

Bye Chas

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #23 on: 18, January, 2013 - 18:32:46 »
Great work Chas! I'll keep you updated! With rear lights the problem's going to be the plastic. Resin sets in about 2 minutes which means I can make a load of them very quickly, but also that by the time I've mixed it, added the colour and started pouring it it will set half way up the mould, so I need to have a think exactly how to solve that :-/

Offline KarlG

« Reply #24 on: 18, January, 2013 - 18:56:24 »
Hi Danny,

I noticed you quoted that you were going to order polyester potting compound, this is a lot cheaper than epoxy but more brittle. So I'm wondering if the lenses will hold up to knocks etc. Why didn't you order the slow setting hardener, I don't know what the working time is for polyester but epoxy with slow setting hardener can be worked with (poured/spread) for up to 4 hours.

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #25 on: 18, January, 2013 - 20:01:22 »
No, I was originally going to use polyester, but I'm now using polyurethane for the flags. Finding a supplier who can supply small quantities has been tricky but I've got a good company now so when I do the rear lights I'll talk to them about it. Even with a slow set gardener the rear lights are going to cause me problems, like how to mould around the vertical lip, how thick to make the mould to ensure an even thickness when I mould them because if it bows at all it will result in a thin/thick middle etc, and also how to make them cost a reasonable amount. If standard rear lenses are selling for around £25, I'll need to charge at most around £12 for mine and when you take into account the silicone, resin, pigment plus time etc I' m just not sure yet how I can do it which is why I'll be doing the indicators next, then headlight (which will have problems moulding the shape of the back part as it doesn't suit a 2 part mould, and then the rear light.

One step at a time though, I'm going to perfect the high viz first and go from there :)

• Millennium Member
« Reply #26 on: 18, January, 2013 - 21:01:32 »
Hi there Danny .The resin I used you have to mix the colour tint to one of the resins them mix both together giving you more time for pouring
 Bye Chas

Offline KarlG

« Reply #27 on: 18, January, 2013 - 21:19:04 »
Good point Chas, I forgot about that. I normaly mixed the pigment in the resin first then added the hardener.

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #28 on: 18, January, 2013 - 21:58:47 »
I'm just still not convinced there's enough time to mix and pour it without rushing and getting air bubbles in it  ??? It's a huge bit of plastic to make and I'm still not sure if it's financially viable like the other items are yet  :-[

Offline KarlG

« Reply #29 on: 19, January, 2013 - 08:44:42 »
Hi Danny,

I don't know why I didn't think about this before. There is a company not far from where I live, they produce things from plastic plates, e.g. chemical tanks and baths etc. They allow me to take cutoffs, free of charge, from their waste containers, this kind of material would be very suitable for the Hi-Vis mast plates.

Please don't ask me what type of material it is, I can't remember, they list the materials they use as PE. PP, PVC, PETG, PVDF. This stuff can be easily cut, filed, and polished, and is available in various thicknesses.

Bye the way the plate for my Hi-Vis mast is from pexiglas, but this is harder to work with than this other stuff.

I don't think you'll find anything cheaper than free. :D :D