News:

C5alive - The Premier Sinclair C5 website
https://www.c5alive.co.uk

Author Topic: Reproduction Indicators  (Read 11945 times)

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
Re: Reproduction Indicators
« Reply #15 on: 16, February, 2013 - 17:05:43 »
You can pick these up at the Land rover shows for about £1.50 and there are a few other places around the net that are a little cheaper.  ;)

I will keep an eye out for some at the next show here in Peterborough ...  ;)

Offline danny7147

• Battery level: 10
  • If at first you don't succeed... pay someone else.
    • Bikes To The Future
« Reply #16 on: 16, February, 2013 - 23:22:28 »
Okay, update. The rear light used a LOT more silicone to mould than I thought it would due to the diamond shape of it so I've had to order yet more to make the second half, and it's not cheap. I have temporarily given up on the front ones but I am going to make some enquiries to see if I can order the Land Rover one's in bulk to include as a set at a realistic price.... so it's a work in progress, and I still might get problems casting the rears so at the moment it's a work in progress that I'll keep you all updated about!

The GOOD news is that tonight I think I figured out a possible way for me to cast centre caps! They were proving awkward because I can't cast the hooks that stick out on the end of the three prongs... but I might have worked out a way around it. If I CAN cast centre caps they'll look almost identical to originals and almost the same colour. Estimated cost at about £6 each, but there's still work to do on them :)

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !

Offline dansretropod

• Battery level: 3
  • The C5 was born to be customised... 3D style
    • www.c5owners.com
« Reply #18 on: 17, February, 2013 - 19:17:37 »
The GOOD news is that tonight I think I figured out a possible way for me to cast centre caps!

Cool, I'd be interested in these if you can make them look like the originals.  Keep up the great work!

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 5
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #19 on: 17, February, 2013 - 19:31:46 »
Can't wait to see them when there done  ;)

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #20 on: 17, February, 2013 - 22:22:32 »
The GOOD news is that tonight I think I figured out a possible way for me to cast centre caps!

Cool, I'd be interested in these if you can make them look like the originals.  Keep up the great work!

Well the centre caps have proved a problem (like the rear of the headlight) because it's seriously difficult to mould anything that sticks out, like the bits that clip onto the wheel trim... BUT my theory is that I can make the three prongs solid, and then file them to the original shape! Basically, as long as the outside bit looks good, it doesn't really matter what the back looks like as long as it fits, so we'll see :)

Offline Howard81

• 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #21 on: 17, February, 2013 - 22:43:12 »
Why not mould the centre caps and the prongs separately? You could make a flat centre and an L-shape prong then simply glue them into position! Would seem simpler to cast that way too  ;D

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #22 on: 18, February, 2013 - 06:37:03 »
Like the thinking, but drawback would be that the prongs would be too small to mould individually. I should be able to get a fairly decent result with filing, and will be much sturdier too :-)

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #23 on: 21, February, 2013 - 20:27:59 »
Indicator mould' s nearly ready, tomorrow night is the night we'll find out if it worked or not. I'm on 50% confidence at the moment so we'll see!

Offline pso-buzz

• Battery level: 4
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #24 on: 21, February, 2013 - 22:19:18 »
You don't need prongs if you use double sided glazing foam tape (thanks for the tip Chas)

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #25 on: 22, February, 2013 - 06:03:06 »
I gave up moulding front ones as they're easily available, it's just the rears I'm concentrating on. I actually ordered a pair to see what they were like and interestingly they have prongs on in the correct position! The only difference is that the bulb holder is slightly wider so the hole would need filing out, but the plan is I'm going to order some so I can offer a complete set, or people can buy the rears rescuately and source their own. The mould's given me a few problems so far so it's fingers crossed it works first! I'll find out tonight :-)

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #26 on: 22, February, 2013 - 23:36:25 »
Okay, mildly irritated. The moulds are perfect, incredible detail, but the plastic's being a problem. Far too many tiny air bubbles, colour miles off and not setting hard enough... For how good the moulds are, they will end up great, but for now there's work to be done!

Offline Dave.76

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #27 on: 23, February, 2013 - 09:06:15 »
You have far more patience than I would. I hope it works out well in the end. Good luck :)
 Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #28 on: 23, February, 2013 - 11:15:25 »
Revience is easy when there's a potential profit involved lol! I might make a white one later to show off what the moulding's like. It's actually pretty amazing, it's got the Magnalite England written as clearly as the original, as well as the lines and speckled outer part on the rear! The plastic's being a real headache though, but once that's sorted (somehow!) you'd have to look closely to tell the difference! The centre caps are looking far more promising at the moment though but the mould won't be set until Monday...

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #29 on: 23, February, 2013 - 15:28:38 »
Maybe you could do a clear/frosted version and put the yellow bulbs or LEDs in for those that want to be different  8)