News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Looking for an expensive pod  (Read 4848 times)

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 5
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum

Offline pso-buzz

• Battery level: 4
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Re: Looking for an expensive pod
« Reply #1 on: 20, September, 2013 - 16:51:45 »
This guy is always expensive. But it's only because people will pay.

Offline c5mick

• Battery level: 3
  • Live for today, tomorrow may not be as good
« Reply #2 on: 20, September, 2013 - 17:15:59 »
It's the same as I paid for a complete c5 with a working pod,
There is an expensive front wheel cover too, oh and expensive rear wheel centre caps.
Think I may break all mine and retire, lol

Offline danny7147

• Battery level: 10
  • If at first you don't succeed... pay someone else.
    • Bikes To The Future
« Reply #3 on: 20, September, 2013 - 17:36:28 »
Pricey, but then again if someone is in dire need of a replacement Pod what choice would you have but to pay it? To be fair to the guy I've bought from him before and he's a really good seller to deal with, but it's a really depressing situation that we're finding ourselves in seeing all of these apparently working C5s stripped just because there are no spares around...

Offline rs20004wd

• Battery level: 2
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #4 on: 20, September, 2013 - 17:54:48 »
Expensive- too right! It pushes genuine enthusiasts to extortionate financial highs just to keep mobile. So now a mirror has jumped from £41.00 to £74.99, wow, but you do get a fixing bracket, or are right hand mirrors more expensive than lefts? They are all 'Buy it Now' sales, take it or leave it and not a 'or best offer' in sight. Can the ordinary working man in the street really afford this level of over inflation? I agree with danny7147, he's a 'really good seller' rather than a Sinclair C5 enthusiast.

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #5 on: 20, September, 2013 - 18:33:15 »
The most expensive pod I've seen sell for is £50 ish not £75

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #6 on: 20, September, 2013 - 18:52:20 »
Huge thanks for the sponsorship by the way! :-) I used to have the same situation with vintage bikes, they're worth three times in parts what they are as a complete vehicle for the simple reason that there are coun more people looking for an elusive part to complete a resto compared to people looking for one to restore. Take my 1950 Norman, I've spent the better part of £400 restoring it, everything authentic. As a bike it's probably worth £150 on a good day, but in bits I could get £300 with my eyes shut! Same with C5s... I've bought four in the last few months, two were near £100. Both of them had full working electrics, and when you take into account the lights, mouldings, handlebar cover, pod clips, boot, boot clips, the list goes on, what's the sense in keeping them roadworthy? It's a tragedy... But unfortunately it's the only way to get parts!

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #7 on: 20, September, 2013 - 18:53:59 »
Oh, and have either of you seen how much I just had to pay on there for a microswitch for my horn? ;-)

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #8 on: 20, September, 2013 - 19:23:11 »
Oh, and have either of you seen how much I just had to pay on there for a microswitch for my horn? ;-)

I saw it on eBay but how much did you buy it for

I was lucky when I fitted my horn because my dad had one in a draw, the exact same as the original

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #9 on: 20, September, 2013 - 19:42:28 »
£16 for the switch! I've actually got a brand new boxed horn kit that I got with that C5 the other day which has the switch in it, but I just figured that I've had an original horn sitting on a shelf for about a year now and if I used the switch from the boxed one it would really knock the value down... but even so, £16 is pretty crazy for a little switch!

Offline c5mick

• Battery level: 3
  • Live for today, tomorrow may not be as good
« Reply #10 on: 20, September, 2013 - 22:36:11 »
Hi
The parts are worth what a buyer is prepared to pay. If no one pays the asking price then the parts won't sell. Boots clips sold for £16.00 the other week, within a few days of these being sold another pair were on EBay with a starting bid of £16, if someone is desperate enough they will pay silly money.
It's a fine balance, those who can't wait pay top dollar the cool dude who sits back gets it cheaper, you can get dragged along in an auction. Not sure what the answer is, don't suppose there is one, it's just supply and demand.
Mick

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #11 on: 21, September, 2013 - 08:33:08 »
If it doesn't sell, he'll probably drop the price a bit but not much  ::)

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #12 on: 21, September, 2013 - 11:33:28 »
Do the blueprints for the ULA still exist? Making microchips is out of any of our expertise, but surely an electronics company could. Sure, cost etc, but I'm just curious... Any ideas if the plans exist?

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #13 on: 21, September, 2013 - 12:36:58 »
Is this what your looking for

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1601.0.html

correct me if I'm wrong

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #14 on: 21, September, 2013 - 16:50:55 »
The thing with the little plastic bits that he makes is that I could make them all easily out of polyurethane so they'd be almost identical to the originals, it's just whether there's enough of a market to warrant the outlay. I've pretty much given up on moulding clear bits like indicators, but hi viz flags, rubbers, centre caps, wing mirror brackets, pod clips, they're all easy, the problem is that it would mean an outlay of about 60 quid per item to set up the mould. His are okay, but not perfect, wrong material. I might look at doing another catch of hi viz masts soon though, we ended up selling nearly 60 of them lol!