News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Ebay C5 .. with engine  (Read 15844 times)

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
Re: Ebay C5 .. with engine
« Reply #15 on: 22, February, 2010 - 21:59:37 »
a very interesting project, that motor looks as though it was just made for the job, as seems to fit in the motor bracket a treat.

imo brilliant part of being in the C5 scene is you have the basics design then what i find fascinating is how people approach and arrive at the variety of different ways to improve on it.

the joy of this C5 hobby is it don't have to cost a fortune or a lot of space to indulge in trying out your idea's, as they can be as small or as intricate as you care to make them  :).

regs
alan

DRIFTKART

« Reply #16 on: 27, February, 2010 - 23:32:13 »
Hi guys
I put in a bid for £60, But lost it,
still looking for my first c5,
James

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #17 on: 28, February, 2010 - 08:02:03 »
Keep looking Bud - one will turn up - probably best with a more original one anyway - good luck.

Radiomarty (Adam Ant)

Karl

« Reply #18 on: 02, March, 2010 - 22:16:01 »
Chas - if its likely to be ready in time, why not bring your 24v c5 to the AER event at Santa Pod ? You'll need to get your skates on and register though  :)

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #19 on: 03, March, 2010 - 08:39:19 »
Hi there Karl I would like to but need to do some testing on it yet (the 24 volt) and if all is ok will have to complete the wiring for the lights /horn  voltmeter + speedometer (just got back from holiday ) so I'm a bit behind ,but will try my best to get there ..

• Millennium Member
Re: Ebay C5 .24 VOLT
« Reply #20 on: 04, March, 2010 - 18:19:07 »
HI THERE JUST AN UPDATE ON THE C5 24 VOLT I,V JUST REWIRED IT WITH THICKER AND MORE FLEXABLE WIRE ALSO MOVED THE RELAY AND TESTED IT AND AT THE MOMENT ALL SEEMS OK BUT I WILL HAVE TO GET IT OUT SIDE AND GIVE IT A GOOD RUN BEFORE COMPLETING THE REBUILD 

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #21 on: 04, March, 2010 - 19:12:12 »
What motor and controller are you using for this, its looks just the job !

John

• Millennium Member
« Reply #22 on: 04, March, 2010 - 22:53:58 »
Hi there John the controller is a Uni-8 24 volt and a Magura 4QD Twist grip throttle .The motor is a 24 volt 900 watt dc motor .The reason why the controller has no cover is that I was adjusting the gain for full control and have not yet put it back I need to test everything on the road before I can complete the rebuild if it`s not up to scratch I will strip it down and redesign it or just convert it to a petrol engine ..

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #23 on: 04, March, 2010 - 23:01:34 »
it is such a neat solution i bet i'm asking this question for many  ;D,

where was that motor sourced from, is there a name/model number on it?

looks ideal for replacing the original C5 motor.

regs
alan

Offline fezza_rs

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #24 on: 05, March, 2010 - 06:18:36 »
nice work chas! Do you realise what you have fitted is basicaly c5 alives old 24 volt conversion kit! Is the motor from tnc scooters in the usa? Whats it like without a gear box? It would go guite well with a sturmey archer inbetween the motor and drive wheel.

• Millennium Member
« Reply #25 on: 05, March, 2010 - 08:31:10 »
Hi there you are right the kit was from c5 alive quite some time ago when it was run by Mark .
Regarding using it as a direct replacement well it is smaller than the original C5 Motor and it took quite a lot of work to get it secure and clamped down in the cradle and it's still not quiet finished yet but if the motor is powerful enough I will make it more secure or even move it to the middle of the Axel .Also it does not need a Sturmy archer gearbox if you are using a speed controller It is a scooter motor imported from USA .The speed of the motor is 2300 rpm then it's geared down by the chain drive and sprockets ....
« Last Edit: 05, March, 2010 - 11:02:57 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Karl

« Reply #26 on: 06, March, 2010 - 10:33:11 »
Looks like a lot of hard work has gone into that , not to mention a lot of thought.

Should go quite well too  :)

• Millennium Member
« Reply #27 on: 06, March, 2010 - 13:09:05 »
Just to let you know that I've just had a test run and it runs very good not sure how fast but it also goes up hills as if  they where not there Now I can Finnish the build  connect the fan up to cool the motor and the controller allthough the controller has a large heatsink it wasn't even warm  ..
I now need to connect a voltmeter / ampmeter / speedometer / lights / and a thermal cut out for the power just in case the motor overheats
Will post photos asap 
« Last Edit: 06, March, 2010 - 13:12:40 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #28 on: 06, March, 2010 - 15:59:51 »
Very impressed Chas - you certainly are a dab hand with the mod's.

• Millennium Member
Re: Ebay C5 .. with 24 volt motor
« Reply #29 on: 12, March, 2010 - 16:55:11 »
Just to update my project  (24 volt C5 )
Now that I've been on a couple of runs without any problems I have completed some of the wiring (lights/horn/volt/amp meter .All there is to do now is to fit the speedometer + a shunt for the ampmeter .And a new set of schwalbe tyres and a good clean up..

« Last Edit: 12, March, 2010 - 17:02:42 by C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER »