News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Box fresh  (Read 2641 times)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Box fresh
« on: 20, December, 2012 - 10:40:42 »
Had a C5 in for a wiring kit conversion and an issue with the motor due to never having been used - The C5 was a display feature in a motor show room and was virtually mint - The owner was selling in and tried powering it up but no luck - After a motor strip down and fitting the kit the  C5 sprung into life but found it had a permenant red motor load due to a duff ULA chip - just goes to show we desperately need a replacement for this chip as even unused once can go down  :(

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
Re: Box fresh
« Reply #1 on: 20, December, 2012 - 11:54:18 »
Hi Marty,

there's a very good optical illusion in the second photo, when I first looked at it I had the impression that you had a pickup bed on the rear.

The problem with the ULA chip is becoming acute, I had mentioned to Chas that I would look into the possibility of producing some. The only problem is to make one for myself is one problem, to have PCBs produced and order multiple items is another. To make it a viable proposition there needs to be at least 20 produced, is there a requirement for so many?  Over a long period yes, but at my age I don't know if I'll be around that long to offload them.

I made provisional contact with Phil to ask if he or his PCB supplier still had the film for the PCBs, but he appeared to be a little bit on the cool side. Then there was a spate of posts covering other possibilities of producing a control system, so with the uncertain state I found it better to wait and see what the final outcome would be.

Cheers.  KarlG.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #2 on: 20, December, 2012 - 13:58:02 »
Hi Karl - I would require 6 straight away with a few contacts probably wanting more - Marty

Offline pso-buzz

• Battery level: 4
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #3 on: 20, December, 2012 - 15:57:26 »
How much would 1 cost?  Is it something we should be buying as a spare?

Offline KarlG

« Reply #4 on: 20, December, 2012 - 19:34:42 »
Hi  pso-buzz,

How much would 1 cost?
Sorry I can't give you a price as I haven't gone that far into the subject. Phil's price would be a good starting point, his quote was "40 EUR (£ 34.00) +5 EUR for shipping ".  This unit is a replacement for the existing ULA chip located it the POD, It will fit where the existing ULA is located, BUT it is not a direct replacement, some minor mods have to be to the existing circuitry and some additional items have to be fitted.

Is it something we should be buying as a spare?
In my opinion NO, but if anything goes wrong with the original ULA chip you are left high and dry. This unit allows you to remain 'street legal' with no major changes.  At the moment the only other alternatives are a major, and may expensive, change to your complete electrical system.

If you are into electronics then read Phil's buildup, look here.
http://www.cypax.net/projects/ula/index?language=en
and here
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1601.msg13259.html#msg13259

If you are not into electronics and you would still like a unit then I would recommend you give these links to a friend who is. Let him explain to you the ins and outs or the pros and cons of a conversion.

Cheers. KarlG.

Offline KarlG

« Reply #5 on: 20, December, 2012 - 20:37:41 »
Hi Marty,

IIRC Chas quoted that he would take 4 units, and I need at least one maybe two 'Phil ULAs' to keep the fuzz of my back.

The only problem on my part is time, I really don't have all that much free time on my hands. I'm a single person household with all the chores associated with it, I'm involved in social work for 3 to 4 hours per day, I also have a dog to take care of, and all of these 365 days a year.

The reason I quote 20 units is the reduced price for batch orders. To produce 20 wouldn't take all that much longer that to produce just one or two. I don't think it would a great problem if I produced the units and tested them if someone in the U.K. can do the individual programming and distribution. Production would be at cost, if I send a single unit to the U.K. the P&P with DHL is €9, if I send 20 units in one package it's still €9. I don't know how Phil came to €5 P&P, but I could certainly ask him.

One of Phil's PCB plans in the IN is unusable, in the plan for the top of the PCB he's included the component layout markings together with the lands, lots of lovely short ccts. Now if the PCB film still exists this would save time and money, so this is something else I need to check out.

There is too much to discus and doing it through the forum will take quite a bit of time (and space). ::)  I think the best bet is to discus this over the phone, so email me your phone number and include the best time to contact you. Or if you have flat rate you can call me. ::) ::)

Cheers.  KarlG.

marra

« Reply #6 on: 20, December, 2012 - 21:12:18 »
Ill have 1 or 2 replacement ula .

Offline KarlG

« Reply #7 on: 21, December, 2012 - 09:51:17 »
Hi Dave,

have you read the contents of the links posted in 'Reply 4' ? If not I recommend that you do so before placing a provisional order.

Offline mhurt

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #8 on: 21, December, 2012 - 13:32:26 »
I looked into making some of these a couple of months ago but had to put it on hold,  partly because I just cant solder any more due to shaking.
So,  I'd definitely be up for ordering at least one, maybe two, if made.  I could possibly program and distribute them,  but would have to test first as I would be using a USB serial adapter and I've not actually tried it yet :o

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
« Reply #9 on: 21, December, 2012 - 14:49:34 »
Hi Karl if it helps you could put me down for a total of 6....
Bye Chas