News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Another C5 sees light of day...  (Read 2357 times)

Offline danny7147

• Battery level: 10
  • If at first you don't succeed... pay someone else.
    • Bikes To The Future
Another C5 sees light of day...
« on: 15, September, 2013 - 19:56:37 »
Today was an interesting day. Firstly, apologies for failing to make the Brooklands meet, but I had a call a couple of days ago from a lady I met at a show a few months back telling me that if I still wanted to buy her C5 it would have to be done ASAP... huh? What C5? Then it dawned on me, and we had to go up there today.

Well, I didn't know what to expect, from what she'd said I was expecting a rusted out heap, but first impressions I was pleasantly suprised to see it was a November '84 machine! Lights were both perfect, and temp wiring a battery up fired up the Pod so it was looking promising. The story went that her husband had bought this one along with another on preorder and it was used as a kids garden runaround for a few years before being stuck in the shed and forgotten for nearly 20 years(!)...

Well, my eagle-eyed wife spotted that there were tiny holes from where mirrors had been fitted, and after a great deal of searching eventually found a pile of C5 parts! I'll come onto the price in a minute, but here's the haul....

So, in total... other than the C5 there's:-

Boxed (missing cardboard) indicators
Boxed spare battery fitting kit
Boxed mud flaps
Boxed horn
Unboxed mirrors
Unpackaged booster
Unpackaged hi vis
Full documentation including letters, newspaper advert, manuals, brochures etc

Price? Well, I managed to get the lot for £280.

Getting it home, it's got a few scratches, nothing too serious, but it should clean up reasonably well. Anyway, so huge apologies for missing Brooklands, but this was an offer I couldn't refuse!  ::)

Offline c5mick

• Battery level: 3
  • Live for today, tomorrow may not be as good
Re: Another C5 sees light of day...
« Reply #1 on: 15, September, 2013 - 20:06:31 »
What a find

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 5
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #2 on: 15, September, 2013 - 20:20:14 »
Just the accessories alone would had cost the amount you payed for the hole lot on ebay

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 15, September, 2013 - 20:22:07 »
What a little gem  :)

Retro Andy.

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #4 on: 15, September, 2013 - 20:30:05 »
Yep, pretty pleased as you can imagine! It's actually a bit of a dilemma though whether to fit the boxed accessories or just store them... I have to admit I like the idea of having an '84 model, and we've already got one with all accessories so although I've got the bulk of the dirt off now it's still going to be a bit of a work in progress!

Luke - That was my thoughts too... I went there with enough money on me today to cover buying most basic C5's, and I think I got it at the lowest price she'd have taken but it also came with the condition that I'd let her know when it's first show will be. It was sentimental to her so I really was lucky!

Incidentally, talk about a motor lovers dream, she also had an immaculate 1937 SS Jag, an E type and a Rolls... but I settled for the C5 as I think the others would have been a bit out of my price range lol!

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #5 on: 16, September, 2013 - 13:27:10 »
You Lucky - Lucky   :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #6 on: 16, September, 2013 - 13:57:15 »
Right place right time I guess, although it was paid for straight out of our holiday money which really didn't please 'er indoors lol :-)