News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Restoring Steve's C5  (Read 5328 times)

Karl

Restoring Steve's C5
« on: 24, July, 2010 - 08:47:06 »
Steve (on the forum as "creepycrawley") said he would like to see his C5 given some TLC. He has used it on most of the c5alive runs and meetings and has always been a big supporter of c5alive. He is always helping out with the large bus we use to carry all the display stuff to the various car shows etc.

I've spent a few afternoons stripping the c5 down to see what needs doing ;

His c5 is in pretty good shape considering the use it has had, the only snags found so far are;
a split in one of the front chassis mounting points
bent rear brake lever
bent bolt on the rear "hoop frame"
rear axle bearing fell apart (the one that sits within the round plastic casing)
..and both the wires from the motor brushes are blue  ???

There's a few other small bits and pieces to sort, but hopefully it will be back up together in time for the MGFest.

« Last Edit: 24, July, 2010 - 08:50:02 by BooBoo »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: Restoring Steve's C5
« Reply #1 on: 24, July, 2010 - 08:51:49 »
Good to see Steve's C5 getting the BOO BOO treatment - he really is a the 'unsung' hero with the big white bus. PS I don't think I ever remember his breaking down  :o

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 24, July, 2010 - 09:01:29 »
Good to see Steve's C5 getting the BOO BOO treatment - he really is a the 'unsung' hero with the big white bus. PS I don't think I ever remember his breaking down  :o

You're right - I don't think it has ever failed all the time he's owned it .Just a few punctures at a couple of the meetings. Makes things a bit tricky though, what if it lets him down after I've refurbed it  :o ;D :D

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 24, July, 2010 - 11:28:09 »
Keep posting the pictures Karl, I know it will look a treat once its had the C5 Alive treatment  ;)

Retro Andy

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 27, July, 2010 - 10:56:10 »
Some more pictures showing how far I've progressed.....somewhat hampered by me being on the "9 days on, 2 days off, 9 days on" part of my shift rota. In order to get this ready for the MGFest I've had to do a few hours here and there. But it's just about ready ;

Just needs a good scrub to get my oily hand prints off it  ;D Then there's a few test runs to sort out any of those snags that always crop up when you've dismantled and then re-assembled something  ;)

Quite pleased with this one though - turned out nice.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #5 on: 27, July, 2010 - 18:45:55 »
Looking good Karl  ;D

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #6 on: 27, July, 2010 - 20:08:59 »
Is it my imagination or is that rear right hand side tyre on backwards? I thought the schwalbe logo was on the outside on the right (with c5 facing forward) and hidden inside for the left.

But looking good!

Offline MikeDX

« Reply #7 on: 27, July, 2010 - 20:11:06 »
Actually both look wrong! This worries me as maybe mine are the ones on backwards!

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 27, July, 2010 - 22:32:34 »
I'd go with the directional arrow on the tyre sidewall as I've seen the Schwalbe logo printed both sides, so you can't count on it as the definitive guide.

I'll check Steve's tyres when I clean it up - we haven't changed the tyres yet as they've still got some life in them.

Offline MikeDX

« Reply #9 on: 27, July, 2010 - 22:35:04 »
Well, me too but I guess that is the answer - the logo can be on either side.

I would like to have the logo on the outsides for both of my whels but all of my tyres have the logos on the same side (with the directional arrow pointing the correct way).

There you go karl, you can start pairing tyres up :)

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 27, July, 2010 - 22:45:18 »

There you go karl, you can start pairing tyres up :)

I'd settle for having a stack of them on the shelf at the moment ...still waiting on delivery  :o

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #11 on: 28, July, 2010 - 06:45:37 »
Looks good Karl, Steve with be happy as Larry at the weekend, top job again  :)

Retro Andy

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #12 on: 28, July, 2010 - 09:01:30 »
That logo Schwalbe threw me at first, and I had to remove a tyre and turn it round when I first installed them.

Karl

« Reply #13 on: 28, July, 2010 - 11:30:03 »
Steve collected his c5 today. Looking at  his face in the picture , it must have been taken just as I gave him the bill    :-* :o ;D :D ;

Karl

« Reply #14 on: 28, July, 2010 - 11:34:45 »
Is it my imagination or is that rear right hand side tyre on backwards? I thought the schwalbe logo was on the outside on the right (with c5 facing forward) and hidden inside for the left.

But looking good!

Took another look at them today and Mike is right, both the tyres are fitted the wrong way round (not by me though  ;)).

Steve is happy to leave it until the tyres need replacing.