News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Top bodging !  (Read 6177 times)

Karl

Top bodging !
« on: 18, July, 2011 - 09:29:10 »
Over the years I've seen many top bodges that were no doubt carried out due to financial restraints ,maybe lack of parts availability or just an attempt to improve an original design flaw that's causing some frustration .

A few of my favourites include the spring loaded drivebelt tensioner fitted to wizbats c5, a furniture castor fashioned into a chain tensioner and the gearbox filled with "no-nails"  ::). Not to mention the oil filled rear brake assemblies ,done to cure the squeaking noise  :o

Some bodges are more useful than others, but up until now I've never recorded them for future reference.   Hopefully this topic will gradually fill up with all the examples we discover over the next few years or so  ;D

To start the ball rolling, here is a chain tensioner bodge discovered on a recent restoration project;

..the spring was certainly kept under tension ! Not sure if it worked or not as the c5 was partly stripped when I got it.

wubbert

Re: Top bodging !
« Reply #1 on: 19, July, 2011 - 20:30:23 »
that does the trick!!!! 8)

i think its a nice mod.....

i found some strange changes also on a frame...like angle steel welded on
to strength it....ow a pipe inside the left wheel instead of the spline.... :-\

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #2 on: 19, July, 2011 - 23:20:42 »
Found this on one of mine !    8)

Karl

« Reply #3 on: 20, July, 2011 - 21:18:12 »
A contender for sure  ;D

Seems a bit of an unnecessarily complicated solution to the belt slip problem...especially when a large cable tie does exactly the same job for minimum effort  ;).

Bet it did the job nicely though.

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 08, October, 2011 - 12:00:47 »
..some more top bodges  ;D ;

For that aching back;

..a replacement switch ;

..and to reinforce that replacement switch;

Offline POZE

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #5 on: 21, January, 2012 - 22:06:12 »
Heres some images of the gearbox bodge on yesterdays purchase!
The gearbox was literally wobbling, so i removed it this eve, found the 'penny' mod, some ali strips, cable ties and a gearbox thats no longer attached to the motor.

The shelf part is also semi mullered!

handy!

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #6 on: 22, January, 2012 - 10:23:01 »
 :D

Retro Andy.

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 22, January, 2012 - 12:29:46 »
good old "cable tie technology"..what could possibly go wrong  :D

Offline POZE

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #8 on: 22, January, 2012 - 18:46:29 »
Jujst thought id remove the wheels as i had 5 mins spare, found a nice bodge - the left wheel was on backwards! i thought it looked like it was stuck out more and didnt come apart in the normal manner....

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #9 on: 23, January, 2012 - 18:04:52 »
Wow!
 :o :o

Thats the benefit of buying from Karl - you know your C5 is using only the best bodges!

Jonny

« Reply #10 on: 22, February, 2012 - 00:06:20 »
I'll dig out tomahawk and show you how I bodged the chain tensioner.  :)

Karl

« Reply #11 on: 21, April, 2012 - 17:19:31 »
..some new contenders for top bodger, found today on a recently acquired C5 being made ready for use as a loan vehicle for the Crawley run;

First up, an old favourite - an attempt to eliminate belt slip (rather than just set it up correctly  ::))

..the second piccie shows that the motor has slipped off "the wall" so no amount of rotating the motor is really going to cure it..

It has now been properly set up using our tried and trusted cable tie method and the motor rotated back to its proper position  :)

This piccie is a bit of a mystery...I have no idea what the additional wires have been connected for ?

..This c5 arrived as a non-runner and needed both the control box and pod replacing, as well as fitting a nice new c5alive wiring kit before it would run properly  8)
« Last Edit: 21, April, 2012 - 22:42:54 by BooBoo »

marra

« Reply #12 on: 21, April, 2012 - 17:52:13 »
Looking at the corrosion on the nut/bolt on motor mount it has been running like that some time.  ::)  I have never seen the gearbox cog plated like that, would only cause the belt to rub. some odd folk thinking on that one. I bought a c5 last year like that motor slip of the shelf bit and when I opened the gearbox the inner shaft bearing ( the 2 little ones ) had snapped, well miffed  :( .

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #13 on: 21, April, 2012 - 19:05:26 »
Looks like they tapped a 12v source of the key block to run some accessory ? :) :) 

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #14 on: 26, May, 2012 - 21:20:01 »
Some more attempts to sort out the motor slip issue - this time two pegs to stop it moving - even though its not sitting on the fence -