News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: My C5 with LCD display  (Read 24538 times)

Offline Dave.76

• Battery level: 3
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
Re: My C5 with LCD display
« Reply #15 on: 08, December, 2012 - 09:03:06 »
Well done, I like look of the screen and should look even better when you fit the smaller box.

The touch screen definitely appeals to a gadget lover like me. ;D

Offline dansretropod

• The C5 was born to be customised... 3D style
    • www.c5owners.com
« Reply #16 on: 08, December, 2012 - 12:04:55 »
a superb example of improvise adapt and overcome
Thanks BooBoo, I've read your motto before and thought it quite relevant to what I'm doing now ;)

ive posted before that i was considering something like this before, but never got round to looking into it. Would love to know the cost, and if you have thought about releasing instructions and the software (or selling it)

At the moment this is just a one off project for me but by all means I can make the software available to others if they want it :) and I will in the coming weeks put together a component list and some rough instructions of how I made it.  I think it may have cost me about £80-£100 so far, with the main cost being the Arduino/Shield/Screen which was £40.  You could choose to implement whichever sensors you wanted and change the code accordingly, I'd be willing to help with any code modifications if you wanted to do things differently.

Here are some pics of it in its smaller box:

I'll probably get burnt at the stake for doing this ;) but I've taken the case from a broken POD and butchered it to allow my new screen to fit into it and think it looks quite cool.  I've sat in it and pedalled it around a bit and there's plenty of room between my legs and the screen casing.

There's still things I want to add to this unit, such as Indicator/Light/Hazard control etc but that will have to wait til next week when the necessary parts arrive, after that I'll get some documentation done for it.

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #17 on: 09, December, 2012 - 13:45:11 »
Could this be used as a sat nav ?

I don't think you'd ever need a sat-nav on a C5 with it's rather short range ;) Though I guess it could be used as a sat-nav, with the correct software and GPS receivers.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #18 on: 09, December, 2012 - 15:59:17 »
Hi just downloaded the app .Take a look and see what you think

Cyclemeter GPS Cycling Computer

By Abvio Inc.

Offline dansretropod

• www.c5owners.com
« Reply #19 on: 09, December, 2012 - 16:05:55 »
Could this be used as a sat nav ?

You probably could do a sat nav for it.  The LCD screen has an SD card slot on the back of it so you could store the map data etc, though I doubt I would ever need it, as kamilb1998 said, the limited range on a C5 makes it not really worth it.

Offline KarlG

• You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #20 on: 10, December, 2012 - 11:04:44 »
Hi Dan,

are you still running on 12v or have you converted to 24?

Offline dansretropod

• www.c5owners.com
« Reply #21 on: 10, December, 2012 - 13:39:55 »
Hi Karl,

No.  This is a regular 12V C5  :)

It's funny you have asked this as in the past couple of days I've been thinking of converting it to 24V and using the PWM feature of the Arduino to drive the motor.  My knowledge of existing 24V conversions is limited, but I believe most use PWM motor controllers.

At the end of the day I want this C5 to be road legal so if I did a 24V mod I'd want the option (via the touchscreen ;) ) to limit it to 15mph whilst on public roads and a full speed option for private roads which would be easy to do in software.

Offline KarlG

« Reply #22 on: 10, December, 2012 - 15:02:18 »
Hi Dan,

did you read Phil's ULA replacement project, he used an ATmega88 to replace the original ULA which covered all of the original controls plus the ability to select normal or pedelec modes. This means that if anyone blew their original ULA, which happens quite often, it could with a couple of small mods, be directly replaced with his unit. Seeing that the original ULA is no longer available this meant that C5s could be kept on the road, not only that, with the pedelec mode the C5 can now be used legally anywhere within the EU.

This is his web page http://www.cypax.net/projects/ula/index?language=en I'm sure that you'll find some info there that will help you with your project.

IIRC in the UK the regs are 15mph and 250w, so if you up the voltage to 24 there is a chance that you may run into problems. I've read that the cops in the UK are not so hot as here, due to too many illegal electric bikes and scooters on the roads they've been ordered to crack down.

Anyway I'll be following your project and hoping that you include a pedelec mode.  8) 8)

Offline dansretropod

• www.c5owners.com
« Reply #23 on: 11, December, 2012 - 08:54:08 »
did you read Phil's ULA replacement project, he used an ATmega88 to replace the original ULA which covered all of the original controls plus the ability to select normal or pedelec modes.

Thanks for the link Karl, I hadn't seen this before.  I can see the advantages of doing it this way, allowing you to keep the original setup whilst making it more reliable and conforming with the pedelec rules.  If I ever get another C5 with all its electricals in working condition I may go down this route so I can keep it original looking.

Pedelec and 24V will be for the next phase then I think.  I'm not 100% sure of the legality of having it run at 24V with a software option to reduce the output to the motor by 50% whilst on public roads but I think it would be okay.  I have in the past spoken to a local traffic cop about the C5 and all he said was that as long as it had 3 wheels, was electric, didn't go over 15mph and I wasn't drunk it would be fine.  Though he did say if he ever saw me on it he'd pull me over just to say hi ;)

Dan could you use this with the uni 8 24v controller?
Erm, not sure.  I'm leaving the 24V issue 'til the new year now (I need to figure it out) as I have other things to be getting on with.

Offline KarlG

« Reply #24 on: 11, December, 2012 - 12:39:30 »
Hi Dave,

I gave you Phil's link as a source of info as to which functions need to be addressed, e.g. battery management (BMS) etc. and not to steer you into going pedelec. Mind you that's not such a bad idea.  ::) ::)

I would like to change over to a lighter type of battery, but they are not suitable for the C5's BMS. This means I need to change over to a totally new control system, hence my interest in your project. Going over to 24v would probably cause me a lot of trouble with the Bulls (cops) here. If I get stopped I could be ordered to go to the TÜV (MoT) who are very well equipped with test gear, and they wouldn't need more than a couple of minutes to establish the legality of the C5.  :(

Just one last point. Are there other, smaller, displays that have the touchscreen function?

Cheers.  KarlG.

Offline dansretropod

• www.c5owners.com
« Reply #25 on: 11, December, 2012 - 13:56:19 »
Hi Karl,

I would like to change over to a lighter type of battery, but they are not suitable for the C5's BMS.

What battery are you looking at?  I'm using a pair of 20aH Lifepo4 batteries and I've read about others using them elsewhere on the forum.  They're expensive, but I don't know of any others that can be used that have a comparable weight?

Going over to 24v would probably cause me a lot of trouble with the Bulls (cops) here

Bulls  ;D ;D

Just one last point. Are there other, smaller, displays that have the touchscreen function?

Alas no.  Not that are specifically made for Arduino anyway.  There are plenty of smaller displays that can do text and graphics but not touch.

For those interested this is the unit I've been using, made by SainSmart:

http://www.sainsmart.com/home-page-view/sainsmart-mega2560-board-3-5-tft-lcd-module-display-shield-kit-for-atmel-atmega-avr-16au-atmega8u2.html

This is the only one I've seen with touch built in and which is reasonably easy to use.  Though the support/documentation from Sainsmart is shockingly bad. :o

You could use a smaller screen and just have a bunch of buttons to control it?

Thanks!

Dan

Offline dansretropod

• www.c5owners.com
« Reply #26 on: 11, December, 2012 - 19:24:03 »
Is that all you need? Or do you need bits to add to it and does the speedo work?

That link is for the screen/controller board only which is the basis for this project, I've used a lot of sensors/wiring etc to make it do what you see in the pictures.  When I've done the component list I'll post it here.

Offline dansretropod

• www.c5owners.com
« Reply #27 on: 22, December, 2012 - 19:33:37 »
Hi Dave,

Sorry, not yet, have been busy with other things recently.  Hope to get back on to this in the new year.

Offline dansretropod

• www.c5owners.com
« Reply #28 on: 30, December, 2012 - 16:05:47 »
Just a quick update on this as I've finally had some time to add some extra features to the display like indicator arrows, a hazard light button, an analog throttle input + motor MOSFET transistor that uses the arduino's PWM ability to give greater control over the motor speed.

Here's the new list of what the box does:
  • Display battery voltage
  • Display ambient temperature
  • Display motor temperature
  • Display motor Amp consumption
  • Display throttle level
  • Display motor MOSFET controller heatsink temperature (This is only for me whilst testing different PWM frequencies)
  • Display speed (MPH/KPH)
  • Variable speed cooling fan (Software controlled based on motor temperature)
  • Motor control MOSFET using PWM (Software controlled based on analog throttle input/disabled when motor temperature is > 60°C)
  • Visual indication when the left/right indicators are on
  • Indicator flasher in software
  • Hazard toggle button, software controlled
  • Front/Rear light toggle button, software controlled
  • Underneath Blue LED strips with toggle button, software controlled
  • Handlebar switch (previously the motor switch) flashes the front light
  • Display time/date
  • Display total/session mileage
  • Security PIN lock screen, all electronics are disabled until the correct PIN is entered
I did a test by connecting both my batteries in series to give the motor 24V and it seems to work okay except the mosfet and it's heatsink gets hot so I'll leave it at 12V for now as I'm still torn between keeping it legal so I can use it on the roads and having a faster C5.

Heres a short video of the screen as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bke5lkLrb-c

A work in progress component list is here:
http://www.dansretropod.com/sinclair-c5/c5-with-touchscreen-lcd-display.aspx#components

Thanks!

Dan
« Last Edit: 30, December, 2012 - 16:09:25 by dansretropod »

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
« Reply #29 on: 30, December, 2012 - 16:17:25 »
Well done very good what you have done its way beyond me ..

Chas