News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Things i've done.....  (Read 1985 times)

shaggy91

Things i've done.....
« on: 01, August, 2011 - 22:19:53 »
Hi,

Since last being on the forum i'd thought i'd update you on whats been going on with my C5.

I've fitted new schwalbe tyres - took me 3 attempts and a chat with poze before they were perfect.
Taken the motor apart and cleaned EVERYTHING in the motor then re-greased and replaced.
Got a 063 halfords battery.
Built a battery out of small 12v cells removed from a UPS that still have plenty of life in them.
Connected the lot together on parallell on the keyswitch (cells on the left hand side and 063 on the right connected with quick release clips).

After an initial run of 8 miles the motor was protesting at overheating so i have now fitted a fan.

The aim is to use the C5 to my place of work 8 miles away and be able to return without charging.

The one problem i have (and its only a minor one) is within minutes of pulling away my battery meter on the pod loses the green/amber and i am left with 2 red lights.  I can then travel, as i have done today, 12 miles and return home on one red light.  Upon checking the voltages of the batterys the home made one is still pushing 12.86 volts and the halfords 063 is putting out 12.57 volts.

From what i've described here - how much more life is left in the batterys before they are low juice for the C5?

I ask this as i have a feeling the pod is not reading correctly with regards to the battery life????

Regards

Shaggy91

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
Re: Things i've done.....
« Reply #1 on: 02, August, 2011 - 22:43:09 »
S, Check the POD as I had a similar fault and had to replace a burnt out resistor - on mine it was the one that ran across ways to the 10pin connector. I took it out of another faulty POD but you should be able to get spares from Maplins, etc.

Lance

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 03, August, 2011 - 10:28:13 »
sounds like your home made battery is performing better than the Halfords one  :D Having said that, 8 miles out of a single battery is good going are you getting the 12 miles on one battery or by using both ?  Most people use 2 batteries for most of the c5alive meetings and they tend to be on average 10-15mile routes .

Lance is right about the pod ,it does seem like you have a duff one.

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #3 on: 03, August, 2011 - 12:18:22 »
Mine has done this, disconnect power (leads from battery or switch off) and re connect and that clears mine and resets the display.

May work with yours

shaggy91

« Reply #4 on: 03, August, 2011 - 21:11:22 »
Well the home made battery was an 8 cell configuration, about the size of a small car battery. I say was as I had a duff cell so its a 7 cell configuration. Used it on its own and got 4 miles out of it.

I'm using both the homemade and the 063 together as one big battery.  The only reason I asked was I'm sure I read somewhere that the lowest the battery can go is 10.5 volts. I think the pod needs calibrating but after reading the how to I gave up. Just wondering if I should really try to get it calibrated or just leave it.

Cheers

Shaggy