News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: C5 Driver Magazine  (Read 3298 times)

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
C5 Driver Magazine
« on: 30, September, 2009 - 20:56:53 »
Hello all.  I saw on Ebay today a copy of the first edition of the C5 Driver magazine.  These do tend to 'pop-up' from time to time, but was there ever a second edition, or was the first edition the only one ever printed?

Also...  Does anyone know whether there are any plans to re-print this for the 25th anniversary?  Don't suppose for a minute there would be permission available to do so, but perhaps there's a remote possibility, mostly as I am guessing the main content is likely to be only adverts and sponsors anyway?

Thanks.
Mike

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
Re: C5 Driver Magazine
« Reply #1 on: 30, September, 2009 - 21:15:09 »
I do have a copy of this magazine, but dont think their was ever a second

Retro Andy.

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 30, September, 2009 - 21:16:30 »
C5 Driver magazine is actually quite good - it is a real mix of technical info, some superb adverts from the firms that were involved in the c5 project, the C5 Teensters, road safety stuff but most fascinating for me is the sheer optimism that they were onto a good thing, the very real belief that they were about to revolutionise transport for the masses.

Such a shame the c5 is deemed to be a failure.

Offline mike7201

« Reply #3 on: 30, September, 2009 - 22:25:12 »
I take it by Karl's comments that there wasn't a second edition then  ;)

Yes, I agree what you say though - they really did think they were on to a winner!!  Obviously the press got the better of it and ruined it before it had a chance.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #4 on: 01, October, 2009 - 07:43:02 »
There's always two ways of looking at anything, if they had of carried on making the C5 then who know's what Sinclair Vehicle's would be doing now, but then if they were more successful we would'nt be here now.

Retro Andy.   

Offline minidaz

• Battery level: 6
« Reply #5 on: 01, October, 2009 - 15:37:06 »
Been after one for a while and managed to win the Ebay one  ;D ( sorry if anyone on here was bidding )

Just heard from the seller : He found, and is including, an April 1985 copy of Bicycle magazine, which aparantly has a large bit on the C5. Should also be a good read  :)

Daz
« Last Edit: 01, October, 2009 - 15:38:43 by minidaz »

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #6 on: 02, October, 2009 - 06:25:29 »
Well done Daz.

Retro Andy.

Offline minidaz

• Battery level: 6
« Reply #7 on: 02, October, 2009 - 16:27:38 »
Got the magazines ( very speedy delivery ) and they're both a good read. With the C5 Driver I liked all the little bits, such as how it was going to be the 2nd family car, and how all the 14yr olds wouldn't have to bother Mum and Dad if they wanted to see friends ... they just get in the C5  ;D

Does anyone know if the Teensters actually came about ?
Are there any C5 Teensters badges or jumpers in existence, or did the club fold before it even started ?

The Bicycle magazine has a C5 on the front cover with the words ' Will the Sinclair kill the bike ' and has a large article where they give the C5 to lots of people : cyclists, bus drivers, car drivers and a milk float driver ( who actually turned down the offer to drive the C5  :D ) , and see how they get on.
Some like it, some don't, and several think it's unsafe, and should come with indicators and wing mirrors as standard.
And Surrey County Council are going to be offering courses on how to drive the C5 ....... i wonder if they still do  :D

Daz

Offline mike7201

« Reply #8 on: 02, October, 2009 - 18:32:58 »
Wow, thanks Daz, that's a great account of what's inside the publication. 

Did you read it whilst wearing velvet gloves, turning pages with a pair of specially adapted tongs - then steralising the tongs over a candle flame for ultimate protection?

Sorry, it just reminded me of a Simpsons episode!   :D

Regards,

Mike