News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Tensioner and general resto  (Read 7647 times)

giles

Tensioner and general resto
« on: 29, August, 2010 - 19:28:52 »
Hi Folks,
I have just picked up a C5 that needs restoring altough I have been told that is was working fine before benig laid up.

I've noticed that the chain tensioner is kind of hanging off and dangling on the end of a weak looking spring.  How is the tensioner fixed to the body?

Another thing that has puzzled me is that it has a key block on both sides, both sides with the fat brown and thin brown cable and the fat blue cable.  Why would it have two key blocks.... curious.
I'll take some pictures and post them (if I can remember how to....)

Cheers, Giles

Karl

Re: Tensioner and general resto
« Reply #1 on: 29, August, 2010 - 22:18:50 »
.....I've noticed that the chain tensioner is kind of hanging off and dangling on the end of a weak looking spring.  How is the tensioner fixed to the body?

This link should help with the chain tensioner query  ;);
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=310.0

The two keyswitches suggest it may be a twin battery version (for longer range).

giles

« Reply #2 on: 30, August, 2010 - 10:04:22 »
Photos of resto project "ITS 01" 1985 C5

I am curious about the twin key blocks, as BooBoo suggest, is it a long range 'extrs' or a home bodge?!
Indicators, one left hand mirror (anyone got a right hand one?!), one red and one blue side panels and a sinclair key too.... let's hope it goes!  Tyres and tubes to be replaced quick smart.
I have also noticed that although the rear (drum) brake is free and works well the front brake is solid and the front wheel wont turn.  Easy fix I guess, but do you think the cable is seized in the sheath or the brake blocks mechanicals seized?  It really shows that I never messed around with my racer as a teenager!
Looking forward to seeing you all at Brooklands.
Cheers, Giles

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #3 on: 30, August, 2010 - 10:35:36 »
Look's like you have the making of a really nice C5 there Giles - as Boo Boo rightly said it is a twin battery model (probably factory fit as all the straps are riveted etc) with indicators and mud flaps - very nice indeed a top spec vehicle.If you post some photo's of the front brakes we can have a guess as to what is going on - shouldn't be a problem.

Your are missing the body fixing for the tensioner but Boo Boo has some replacement parts:
 http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=19&products_id=200&osCsid=4880e8be98492364864cc6aaf361f249-

Good luck with the resto -Just a guess but ITS 001 was probably the previous owners initials. Nice Imp by the way !!! :)
« Last Edit: 30, August, 2010 - 10:43:16 by radiomarty »

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 30, August, 2010 - 11:01:25 »
Looks nice and complete, should scrub up into a good 'un  8)

The front brake is possibly rusted solid, might be a case of just dismantle it and clean it up to make it work again.

I'd always replace brake cables as a matter of course, they really are vital and so often overlooked !

giles

« Reply #5 on: 03, September, 2010 - 19:34:52 »
"ITS 01" update...
Now know as "IT 01" as the S was scruffy and I think, "Information Technology 01" is kind of more appropriate for Sir Clive Sinclairs baby ;D

OK, the front brakes are not inoperative as I thought, it was the over inflated inner tube pushing out the tyre and getting stuck in the brakes.

I have fitted the wheels with new inner tubes although the tyres look pretty knackered they will be OK while I get it up and running.

The only thing stopping it working now is a pair of leisure battery connectors and the chain tensioner.  For the latter I need some guidance.....
I read in the shop that you can buy a "Chain Tensioner Y-Clip Replacement" but I can also buy a "Chain Tensioner Clip Kit", the photos of the bits look different although they sound like they are doing the same job.  If anyone has the time it would be good if you could cast your eyes over the photos above of my tensioner and let me know which bit I need.  I will also be buying an anti chain bounce of device.
After that I am planning to fit new side stripes and maybe a funky LED bulb.  Can anyone tell me (objectively) if they give a good light.  I have found that my LED wind up torches are some what lame.  I wondered if the LED bulb is more bling than functionality, which would be fine but if that's the case I will stick with the standard bulb.  On the other hand if they are brighter and can be seen more clearly and illuminate the path/road better then I'll have one.
Cheers, Giles

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 03, September, 2010 - 19:56:08 »
There are two plastic bits that connect the tensioner to the chassis.

The "y" clip replaces only one of the plastic bits;
 http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=19&products_id=200&osCsid=71e3388038b2a3f02a6fcd727272a56a

The clip kit replaces both the plastic parts;
http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=19&products_id=201&osCsid=71e3388038b2a3f02a6fcd727272a56a

LED bulbs are arguably better in that they consume less power and give off less heat, but they are not necessailry any brighter and suffer the disadvantage of an inferior spread of light.  In all honesty, the c5 bulbs are so small these differences are minimal and if your old bulbs are working there's no harm in sticking with them. 
« Last Edit: 03, September, 2010 - 19:59:56 by BooBoo »

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #7 on: 04, September, 2010 - 08:32:42 »
Please keep the pictures coming of your progress, looks a nice one

Retro Andy

giles

« Reply #8 on: 04, September, 2010 - 11:41:20 »
Hi Folks,
Real progress(!) this morning, I have fitted the battery terminal connectors I held my breath as I connected it up and phew, lights came on as expected.  Not only that but the indicators work and the motor propelled me down the cul-de-sac, fab it's a runner!
Then an issue startled me....... when applying the brake the hand brake wheel instantly locked up and juddered, no matter how gently I applied the rear brake it just locks up, quite odd.
Can anyone help with this?
Cheers, Giles

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #9 on: 04, September, 2010 - 17:17:19 »
It might do that because its not been used for a long time, my rear brake always snatches the first fews times I use it when "Charlie" hasn't been used for a while, I need to change the shoes really, I have a new set, but I am getting the most wear out of the old shoes first.

Retro Andy.

giles

« Reply #10 on: 04, September, 2010 - 19:41:38 »
Very happy today as I found a little red switch under the right hand handle bar grip.... I connected "IT 01" up and it's a horn!  A piercing shrill techno (so Sinclair!) horn!  Fantastic!
So my resto project is shaping up well....
It's got indicators, horn, mud flaps, twin battery ready, number plate(!), one red one blue  ::) side panels, (near side only  ::)) mirror - does anyone have an off side mirror? On top of that after connecting it up it worked straight away save for the locking rear wheel under braking and chain tensioner needing the Y clip.  It wont be long before I will need to clean it and add the stripes  ;D

Thanks for your comment about the rear brake. It really is quite alarming when it locks up, is there anything I can do to stop it happening - for example wet and dry the shoe or such like?

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
« Reply #11 on: 05, September, 2010 - 07:27:20 »
Giving the rear brake shoe and drum surface's a good clean up with some emery tape will help.

Retro Andy.

Karl

« Reply #12 on: 05, September, 2010 - 08:57:45 »
If the locking up cannot be adjusted out, as Andy says - it might be time for some new rear shoes.

The rear brake is always a bit of swine to get right  :-X

giles

« Reply #13 on: 06, September, 2010 - 07:13:59 »
How do you adjust the rear brake shoe?  I suspect it is coming on too aggresively.
Giles

Karl

« Reply #14 on: 06, September, 2010 - 08:21:14 »
How do you adjust the rear brake shoe?  I suspect it is coming on too aggresively.
Giles

Adam Harper gave us a talk on setting up the rear brake at the first Brooklands event.

To summarise, once you have the cable adjustment correct you then note where the shoes are rubbing against the drum - gives the squeaking noise a few us will recognise from the meetings - then alter the profile of the shoe with some sand paper or a dremmel type tool.Then re-adjust the cable if necessary.

Be careful when doing this because if you get it wrong you have to replace the shoes and start again....as I found out on "Voodoo"  :P Having done all this you might find it only offers a slight improvement,rather than a complete cure.

It is worth noting that in the unofficial handbook the problem of the rear brake locking up is mentioned and no solution is offered. Might just be a "characteristic"  of the mechanism.