News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Newbie in NL  (Read 6877 times)

Rona

Newbie in NL
« on: 27, October, 2011 - 17:53:37 »
Hi!
I'm an American living in the Netherlands and I just bought my first C5 off Marktplaats.  Hubby and I are very excited to have her.  We've wanted one for a while now and the price was awesome on this one.

Course'... the reason it's so reasonably priced is that it's broken.  I've taken it apart already and regreased everything.  Engine does work when wired directly, so it's the control box. Right now the C5 is dog power assist when I pedal.  My 120lb Great Pyr likes to pull it through the park every day, sometimes twice a day.

Thanks for letting me join the forums!

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
Re: Newbie in NL
« Reply #1 on: 27, October, 2011 - 19:25:59 »
Welcome to the forum, good luck with your new C5. We are here to help if we can.

Lance

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #2 on: 27, October, 2011 - 20:46:08 »
Welcome to the forum, glad you are enjoying your C5  :)

Retro Andy.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #3 on: 27, October, 2011 - 20:53:15 »
Hi there welcome any help you want just ask .....bye Chas

copendriver

« Reply #4 on: 29, October, 2011 - 19:36:14 »
Welcome to the Forum

You'll find the guys and girls here super friendly & very helpful and insightful, basically a smashing bunch of people.

Best Regards Neil x

• Millennium Member
« Reply #5 on: 29, October, 2011 - 20:21:24 »
Hi there Rona it`s Chas Iv`e replied to your email and left my phone number ....bye Chas (PS if you are stripping down your c5 why not look at my video`s on YOUTUBE   my video`s are on  JORDAN8ISH
They may  help you ...bye Chas

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #6 on: 30, October, 2011 - 16:06:00 »
Hi Rona and welcome - sorry for the delay in responding to your e-mail as we have been away in sunny Liverpool doing that whole Beatles thing ! - any problems just ask - Regards Radiomarty

Rona

« Reply #7 on: 13, November, 2011 - 13:59:28 »
I got her up and running today thank's to getting a replacement control box from Chas.  We took her around the park and she's wonderfully fun!

The key system isn't the greatest. It has a lot of wear and doesn't make a good connection. You have to wiggle the key. I think I will get one of the wiring assemblies for that problem.

The other big concern is wheel squeek when going up a sidewalk ramp.  The wheels make a horrible high pitched wail and after a few revolutions settle down.  Any advise for that??  (and with our local roads and bike paths, I do have to take a few of these ramps so I can't avoid them ... wish I could)

Everyone has been so helpful!  Thank you so much!
Rona

• Millennium Member
« Reply #8 on: 13, November, 2011 - 15:06:05 »
Hi there Rona great to here that you got it running ....Regarding the squeek  do you know from what side it is coming from (left/right back wheel )   bye Chas (ps the key switch has allways been a problem ...If you like you could send it to me and I could  service it for you ....)

Rona

« Reply #9 on: 14, November, 2011 - 09:14:06 »
It's weird because it's on one side or the other, depending on which angle I go up.  Sometimes it's on the right and sometimes it's on the left.

I have tried tightening the wheels more, but that just makes them impossible to turn and have a lot of friction.  I have taken them apart and regreased everything.  Maybe even more grease ?  :P

I've already taken the keyswitch apart once or twice.  Did it again last night. Today it seems to be working well enough..but I think it's just... ikky.  You're right... poor design there.  It just doesn't wear well over time.

Leaves me in sort of a quandary over locking it up when I take it places.  I love having a key.  Along with a wire cable and lock, the key is a nice extra thing to have.  While I know leaving it places is kinda dumb, I intend to really use my Sinclair as an every day vehicle around the village.  (I'm disabled in the right leg and she's so much sportier and lovely looking than a yukky oldpeople mobility scooter. Lot more fun too.  I refuse to go into old age and disability without a serious fight!!)

Karl

« Reply #10 on: 14, November, 2011 - 12:41:56 »
Regarding the squeak , I'd start by checking the bearings for wear and tear and also the brake adjustment on the "off side" wheel. As you corner the wheels flex quite a lot plus the drums are sometimes oval shaped instead of circular - which never helps  :). Be careful not to overtighten the bearings as this will cause the cage to collapse..also, don't forget the sealed bearing inside the plastic casing of the brake components and the roller bearings inside the motor mount.

Lastly, during our Zutphen run a loud squeaking noise was traced to failed motor mount bearings caused by a chain that was too tight. This had caused the axle to bend and put excessive strain on the bearings each at end. Better to have a loose chain than one too short.

Let us know how you get on  8)

Rona

« Reply #11 on: 14, November, 2011 - 21:04:43 »
Lastly, during our Zutphen run a loud squeaking noise was traced to failed motor mount bearings caused by a chain that was too tight. This had caused the axle to bend and put excessive strain on the bearings each at end. Better to have a loose chain than one too short.

eeek!  that sounds horrible!  I'll have to check on that in the morning.  I suspect the chain is fine.. but I probably need to look at the wheels again.  More grease won't hurt anything!

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #12 on: 05, December, 2011 - 19:23:08 »
I love the idea of making it dog powered - Like a sled!

Off to buy huskies... Dan

Offline frankev

• Battery level: 0
  • One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #13 on: 24, February, 2012 - 17:22:56 »
Hi Rona,

Welcome on this forum and welkom in Nederland. Hope to meet you someday, at another Dutch C5 meeting perhaps.
I like to ride my Sinclair every day as well. Even now in winter. But even more "fan" is my dog. He loves it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kFELIJQLcI
The speed dogs can give your C5 ride can be a bit scary sometimes. ;)

greetz Frank

Rona

« Reply #14 on: 25, February, 2012 - 20:27:39 »
http://ronajustine.blogspot.com/2011/11/sinclair-c5-and-obelix-dog.html

I finally put up a video of our dog Obelix and the Sinclair  :)  The link goes to my blog... I can't seem to link directly to a blogger video.