News:

C5alive meets Chris Barrie
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

Author Topic: Micro Men !!! :D  (Read 9089 times)

Benniz

Micro Men !!! :D
« on: 27, September, 2009 - 16:33:48 »
Hey guys

Has everyone else seen The new drama soon to air on bbc4 called "Micro men"

Martin Freeman and Alexander Armstrong lead the cast in Micro Men, a drama from Darlow Smithson for BBC Four.

Micro Men provides an affectionately comic account of the Eighties race for home computer supremacy. The drama documents the lengthy rivalry between maverick visionary Sir Clive Sinclair (Armstrong) and his former colleague Chris Curry (Freeman) as they go head to head to achieve domination of the growing home computer market. Micro Men gives an amusing insight into the brilliant but eccentric characters that triggered the beginning of the UK computer revolution

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/comingup/micromen/

Im really looking forward to this I hope it is up to expectations Also in the clip they are showing there is of course a c5 :D was it voodoo or one of yours?

I think it airs on the 8th October but not totally sure if anyone else knows for sure?

Cheers as always! Ben

Karl

Re: Micro Men !!! :D
« Reply #1 on: 27, September, 2009 - 18:20:05 »
That will be this event ;

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=493.0

....for various reasons we didn't help out in the end.They purchased their own c5's for the job.

Since Sir Clive is not at all impressed with this tv production I'm not overly fussed that we didn't get to appear .

Benniz

« Reply #2 on: 27, September, 2009 - 19:49:29 »
Oh no is he not happy with this production then? :(

why is he unhappy, Now I feel much less enthusiastic about it already!!

Ben

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 28, September, 2009 - 15:58:20 »
I agree Karl, I would'nt want to be involved if it ends up just taken the p**s of Sir Clive, I see the funny side in this, I just hope it does'nt cross the line and just make fun of Sinclair.

Retro Andy

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
« Reply #4 on: 28, September, 2009 - 16:17:27 »
Blimey!  This production's a little close to the wire isn't it? 

Hardly a tribute to one of the UK's greatest inventors of our time.

Let's hope the production is short lived.

Having just seen the trailer, aren't they doing something wrong by using the 'Sinclair' livery and branding?  Not really my worry I know, but if it were my company I'd certainly like a say in how the production comes across.  Maybe this isn't how things work.  Ah well.
« Last Edit: 28, September, 2009 - 16:20:37 by mike7201 »

Offline minimin

« Reply #5 on: 28, September, 2009 - 18:26:07 »
That guy doesn't even look like Clive. This could be interesting =]
Did Adam Harper supply the C5's? He seems to have supplied them for many other BBC C5 related things?
Mark

Karl

« Reply #6 on: 28, September, 2009 - 18:40:13 »
That guy doesn't even look like Clive. This could be interesting =]
Did Adam Harper supply the C5's? He seems to have supplied them for many other BBC C5 related things?
Mark

I don't think Adam got involved either. We were asked to supply some c5's , which we initially agreed to, but it didn't work out coz they kept changing the venue/dates/times etc.

In the end they said they had purchased their own and didn't really need us - which wasn't a problem because I had found out a bit more by then....

Offline minimin

« Reply #7 on: 28, September, 2009 - 21:32:30 »
Thinking back - the new C5 Split would have been perfect!
Mark

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 30, September, 2009 - 21:06:32 »
Oh no is he not happy with this production then? :(

why is he unhappy, Now I feel much less enthusiastic about it already!!

Ben

Here you go, I knew I had the article around here somewhere ;

Offline mike7201

« Reply #9 on: 30, September, 2009 - 22:41:53 »
Aaaargh!   :o

Did you read the last bit in the last paragraph?

Does that mean that we should be saying 'we're not worthy' to Sir Alan now??  I'm confused!  Methinks that if this were the case, my C5 don't seem so attractive now that an old car radio salesman owns the name.  No offense intended, but he's no Sir Clive.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #10 on: 30, September, 2009 - 22:57:00 »
Well - in 1984 I started work,  My first (and only) shop job was with currys.  I had to sell Amstrad HiFi's as they were then - and I remember them as hi-spec plastic rubbish !!.  Yes he bought out Sinclair - i'll leave it at that.....

Clive Sinclair is my hero !

Thanks for everything you have done :)

Karl

« Reply #11 on: 01, October, 2009 - 17:07:21 »
Aaaargh!   :o

Did you read the last bit in the last paragraph?

Does that mean that we should be saying 'we're not worthy' to Sir Alan now??  I'm confused!  Methinks that if this were the case, my C5 don't seem so attractive now that an old car radio salesman owns the name.  No offense intended, but he's no Sir Clive.

Dont forget that "Sinclair Vehicles" was sold seperately to Adam Harper , so I reckon that means "Sir Alan" doesn't have any real link to our C5's  :)

Offline minimin

« Reply #12 on: 01, October, 2009 - 19:37:10 »
Right, so just to clairfy
Adam Harper bought Sinclair Veichles
So he inherited all of the debt?

So does he own all the production moulds etc?
Mark

Offline mike7201

« Reply #13 on: 01, October, 2009 - 19:45:58 »
To the best of my knowledge, Adam has taken on the vehicles side of the business entirely.  From looking at Adam's website, all tyres are remanufactured to original specification using original moulds. They are special low rolling resistance tyres by means of their internal construction. The rubber compound is harder wearing and will give 2 - 3 times the life of an ordinary tyre.

Of course, from looking at the shop, I see Karl stocks a great selection of alternatives of great quality, and at more wallet friendly prices.

c515mph

« Reply #14 on: 01, October, 2009 - 21:27:30 »
Just thought I would make my opinion clear.
Sir Clive Sinclair is one of our greatest inventors.The list of his inventions is well known,so I wont go into them all.
In producing the C5,he did what no other company dared to do.
He produced a machine that was designed to get some of us,out of our cars,and show the world,that we need to take a different course,as far as personal transport was concerned.
Now we all know the drawback,in the C5 design but most people do not realise the fact that it was limited in power and speed,simply to enable us to use it as easily as we would a bicycle,with no need for road tax,insurance,MOT,ETC.
We who now own the C5 have the pleasure of riding a machine that excites the imagination.We know how great it is.
The downfall of the C5 at launch,was mainly down to the press coverage.
They bent the truth,in order to sensationalise the story.
They lied about the C5 safety report,and said that R.O.S.P.A.Had said it was dangerous.But this was not so.They said it was no less dangerous than a bicycle,in fact in some ways,safer.
They took it out on busy London roads,on cold winter days,and said the batteries gave out.YES IDIOTS,BATTERIES DO GO FLAT,AND CARS RUN OUT OF FUEL TO.
And as any Londoner knows,if you took a bicycle out on the North Circular Road,you are risking your life."So strange,that they tested the C5 there"
Now I have got that off my chest,Ha,Ha,Ha,thank you Clive for opening some peoples mind up to the possibilities for future personal transport.