News:

C5alive filming with "oldgoldtech.com" at Brooklands Museum - 13th November 2010
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1440.0

Author Topic: Fitting a front disk brake ...  (Read 10262 times)

Offline frankev

• Battery level: 0
  • One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
Re: Fitting a front disk brake ...
« Reply #15 on: 07, December, 2010 - 13:06:51 »
My C5's stop with the original brakes as well. I will try one with an anchor for emergency stops  ;)
I have disk brakes on the front wheel of my bicycle. If I use them I flip over the front wheel. Did happen twice  :'(

alexbromo

« Reply #16 on: 07, December, 2010 - 14:07:57 »
My C5's stop with the original brakes as well. I will try one with an anchor for emergency stops  ;)
I have disk brakes on the front wheel of my bicycle. If I use them I flip over the front wheel. Did happen twice  :'(

Effectively a disk brake is a very strong unit for C5 quotas.

If a normal disk brake is capable to instantly block a 26" bycicle wheel, scared to imagine what it can do on a 12" wheel, where the results of the torque applied by the rotor is virtually double ! In fact i seen that on my C5 also a very little force on the brake lever results in a very strong braking.

I guess the real risk to destroy the little plastic wheel in case of emergency braking ...  :)

Alex Bromo

Offline techytype

« Reply #17 on: 07, December, 2010 - 20:00:50 »
sorry, but i've been busy,

photo's that show what i mean in the link, the rota is a 180mm, but will be shortly changed for a 140mm (received today) to beter allow wheel cowl to be fitted.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/techetype/Sinclair%20C5/C5FrontBrakecloseupofRotalockingBoltbolt.jpg

Alan

Offline techytype

« Reply #18 on: 07, December, 2010 - 20:08:38 »
original brake is very hit an miss affair, slightly damp and very little effect. disk brake will be like car servo brakes, but if your heavy on the lever the C5 will skid before it stands on it's nose - hopefully  :o

once i've done the back brake perhaps an ABS system will be next?  ;D ;D ;D

Alan

alexbromo

« Reply #19 on: 08, December, 2010 - 11:13:55 »
sorry, but i've been busy,

photo's that show what i mean in the link, the rota is a 180mm, but will be shortly changed for a 140mm (received today) to beter allow wheel cowl to be fitted.

I also chose the 140mm rotor (the littlest bycicles available) to have sufficent room to reinstall the original plastic cover, moreover i had to cut a little piece on the top of the right cover because the cable and clamp's arm slighty interfered on it.

Alex Bromo

Offline techytype

« Reply #20 on: 08, December, 2010 - 13:19:09 »
hi alex,

been really good to have someone to compare and bounce idea's off,

i'm part way through mounting the bracket for the brake, mounting mine behind the fork (motor side), the bracket is 'pushing' against the fork when applied, meas it takes less strain and can be a lot thinner.

just for 'jigging' i've used a very simple 'L' bracket for the upper fixing bolt, drilled right though the fork, then nut and bolted bracket to secure it.

i will be making a simple straight strap, with a hole to go on the axle (between wheel and fork), that will then be bolted onto the lower brake fixing.

when happy i'll add photos,i'm lucky as i have a spare chassis and forks with steering rod

regs
Alan

Offline frankev

« Reply #21 on: 09, December, 2010 - 22:46:13 »
original brake is very hit an miss affair, slightly damp and very little effect. disk brake will be like car servo brakes, but if your heavy on the lever the C5 will skid before it stands on it's nose - hopefully  :o

once i've done the back brake perhaps an ABS system will be next?  ;D ;D ;D

Alan
this ABS thingy, I go check to that out. If it works on a car with 12 volts it can be useful for a sinclair C5 as well.  :P

alexbromo

« Reply #22 on: 10, December, 2010 - 09:01:15 »
hi alex,

been really good to have someone to compare and bounce idea's off,

i'm part way through mounting the bracket for the brake, mounting mine behind the fork (motor side), the bracket is 'pushing' against the fork when applied, meas it takes less strain and can be a lot thinner.

just for 'jigging' i've used a very simple 'L' bracket for the upper fixing bolt, drilled right though the fork, then nut and bolted bracket to secure it.

i will be making a simple straight strap, with a hole to go on the axle (between wheel and fork), that will then be bolted onto the lower brake fixing.

when happy i'll add photos,i'm lucky as i have a spare chassis and forks with steering rod

regs
Alan

Very interesting solution Alan !  ;)

What kind of material have you used to build the bracket ?

Alex Bromo

Offline techytype

« Reply #23 on: 10, December, 2010 - 09:25:28 »
So far just proto typing on some spare forks,
I'm attaching upper mount with a simple  L bracket, drilling through the fork leg from to back, lower hole will be a straight strap either to go over axle between wheel and fork, or bolted on the inner 'face' of the leg.

As my caliper is dragged toward the fork in use, it allows thinner material, if one should break or i loose a bolt then it will be stopped by the fork, sort of extra safety designed in.

Been working on designs for rear break, that will be IMHO very radical. Si watch this space ;).

Alan

Offline quasimodo

« Reply #24 on: 05, January, 2011 - 20:20:17 »
Love this! Nicely done!

I will fit mine with a disc-brake too. Will probably need some good stopping power with my new 750W-24V motor fitted.

Greetz
www.sinclairc5.nl

Offline techytype

« Reply #25 on: 05, January, 2011 - 20:51:53 »
Been all stop due to Xmas season and snow, but hope to get back on ti it this weekend, if my son don't need help to move out that is (waiting for date from agents).

Alan

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #26 on: 06, January, 2011 - 06:09:20 »
Wow that motor looks the business  :)

Retro Andy.

Offline techytype

« Reply #27 on: 06, January, 2011 - 08:02:39 »
Love this! Nicely done!

I will fit mine with a disc-brake too. Will probably need some good stopping power with my new 750W-24V motor fitted.

Greetz
www.sinclairc5.nl

Pictures and details please (so we can lech then :) ).

Regs
Alan

Offline quasimodo

« Reply #28 on: 06, January, 2011 - 21:29:35 »
Of course I will put all details on my blog.

I hope my frame will be ready tomorrow, so I can start the build.
First steps:
- Mount the motor
- New Ball Bearing for the steering and the front fork
- Install necessary wiring and computer.
- Upload Pictures !!!

Offline frankev

« Reply #29 on: 06, January, 2011 - 22:48:26 »
Hi Quasimodo,

Did you read the reply I left, concerning the Dutch law for E-Bikes on your topic about your 750watts 24v project topic. I don't aspect much trouble for you unless you start doing wheelies on the road.  :D :D