News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: my c5 restoration project  (Read 10645 times)

Jonny

my c5 restoration project
« on: 12, February, 2011 - 18:13:05 »
hi guys, just bought a c5 today and will be restoring it. the chassis has some light rust but nothing to bad. i originally thought it came without a pod but found it in the boot  :) it is missing the pod pins though. it has all the usual stuff aswell as tool kit, battery, charger,  high vis mast with instructions and owners pack. the battery was dead when i got it measuring 0 volts on voltmeter but i did my little voodoo trickery that i do to revive batterys and sure enough it bounced back into life  ;D

the front tyre has been replaced with a white one, all the other tyres are flat so i'll be ordering a new set soon. both lights work, haven't tested control box as i don't have the wire to connect pod to it. unfortunately one side of the front wheel cover is cracked- not to badly though also the wheel hubs are quite scratched there are also some deep scratches on the body.

the chain tensioner seems to tuck in more than usual, almost touching the chassis. could this be to do with the chain? it is quite rusty. i'll post pictures in a minuite.

Jonny

Re: my c5 restoration project
« Reply #1 on: 12, February, 2011 - 18:36:26 »

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 12, February, 2011 - 20:33:21 »
Looks good mate  ;)

Offline POZE

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #3 on: 12, February, 2011 - 20:39:01 »
very nice, looks like a clean body and love that white tyre! really random, good buy

Jonny

« Reply #4 on: 13, February, 2011 - 22:05:30 »
did some work on the c5 today, it is almost disassembled now. got to the point on the video were the pedals are removed. the handlebars came out surprisingly easy which was nice. went into town and bought some sand paper and rust remover from wilko. worked surprisingly well de rusting the chain and the large u shaped thing that holds the boot up. the chain tensioner sat better today also.

pretty productive day   :)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #5 on: 14, February, 2011 - 07:53:33 »
Looking good, sounds like you are enjoying yourself, it is very rewarding when you have finished and go for a ride with everyone looking as you go  :)

Retro Andy.

Jonny

« Reply #6 on: 14, February, 2011 - 18:45:41 »
yep, lots of fun working on the c5. hoping to get the chassis done in half term but need to get the thing to remove pedals. disassembled motor and re greased today, also cleaned up wheel covers will post some pictures onto photobucket in a minuite.

by the way how do i open the gearbox for greasing?

Jonny

« Reply #7 on: 14, February, 2011 - 19:40:45 »
there we go, photos are up. does anyone know if this is part of the c5?  http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc463/JonnyAdam/?action=view&current=IMG_0346.jpg

just found it in the right footwell

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 14, February, 2011 - 20:37:44 »

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #9 on: 15, February, 2011 - 06:13:23 »
there we go, photos are up. does anyone know if this is part of the c5?  http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc463/JonnyAdam/?action=view&current=IMG_0346.jpg

just found it in the right footwell

I don't think it belongs to a C5 unless you are thinking of going under water with yours  ;D

Retro Andy.

Jonny

« Reply #10 on: 15, February, 2011 - 17:08:21 »
yeh that's what i thought, just wanted to check before i binned it. maybe it was submarine c5  ;D

Jonny

« Reply #11 on: 16, February, 2011 - 22:17:50 »
thanks for the link Karl, have now re greased the gearbox and it is running great  :) i also cleaned up the black inside part of the boot and will hopefully clean the white part tomorrow. also tomorrow i shall try to find pedal crank remover and will be picking up the bits and bobs i've ordered from the c5 alive shop

Jonny

« Reply #12 on: 17, February, 2011 - 21:25:44 »
cleaned boot today and picked up my stuff from karl. Also have removed pedal cranks as karl lent me his pedal crank remover (thanks!)  :)

Karl

« Reply #13 on: 18, February, 2011 - 18:04:15 »
cleaned boot today and picked up my stuff from karl. Also have removed pedal cranks as karl lent me his pedal crank remover (thanks!)  :)

you're most welcome mate, keep us updated on your progress  ;)

Jonny

« Reply #14 on: 18, February, 2011 - 23:45:05 »
did a bit more work today,removed body from the chassis. installed an led bulb, removed middle pedal thing and have installed anti bounce guards for the chain tensioner. also my pod wire arrived today from chas. ordered a crank remover off ebay incase i need to take of my pedal cranks again. at £4.30 with free postage i couldn't resist  :) there seem to be a few cut wires in my c5, i originally thought they went to the lights but both front and rear lights work. some seem to have been cut up near the rear light, some down the front where the pod wire comes out anyone know what these wires may be for?. pictures:     

on back of seat, red and purple wires going to the rear brake light: http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc463/JonnyAdam/?action=view&current=IMG_0351.jpg

at the front: http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc463/JonnyAdam/?action=view&current=IMG_0353.jpg

by the way heres the link to the pedal crank remover incase anyone wants: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160485039117&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_789wt_907

i've got more cif now so weather permitting may do some body cleaning on sunday.
« Last Edit: 18, February, 2011 - 23:48:57 by Jonny »