News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: NEW Sinclair Vehicle!!  (Read 34453 times)

Offline mike7201

• Battery level: 0
    • Portland's very own Royal Manor Theatre
Re: NEW Sinclair Vehicle!!
« Reply #60 on: 06, November, 2011 - 22:44:37 »
Well, it's a whole year since I first saw the clip.

Still no news.  As for estimated delivery in July 2011, they've clearly not arrived.  Or, is it perhaps a way of getting the image of the X-1 into people's minds, so that the can become used to the idea of having a new type of vehicle on Britain's roads?

I recall Sir Clive saying in a clip I watched, that one mistake they made with the C5, was that they didn't give the world long enough to become used to it, before it was launched. 

Does anyone else agree?

Maybe I'm just nuts.  Either way, I still think it would be good to have the X-1 launched sooner or later.  It's a shame no-one has heard anything about it since sending their initial emails expressing an interest to purchase, or even set a deposit.

Hmm...  Not sure what happened there.

Hope it's sorted soon.

Mike

Offline frankev

• One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #61 on: 07, November, 2011 - 08:18:13 »
As a reply I would say that Sir Sinclair did not have a problem with giving the world enough time to get used to the C5. He introduced it in the wrong country.
Imagine, a new (small) car on the road, maximum speed 15mph. No way to pass it on the road. Within a month everybody would hate those stupid slow users of the road.In Holland however, we have bicycle paths on every road. Nobody would be bothered by a new user off the road that only drives 15 mph. Also, since there are hardly any mountains or hills in our country, the 250 watt engine would produce enough power to get you everywhere without extra pedaling. If Sinclair wants the X1 to be a succes, he has to introduce it first in the Netherlands. People can get used to it and build a positive imago for this bike, since it looks like it was made for our bicycle roads. Then after a while, bring it out on the British market.

greetz

Frank

Offline vanpeebles

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #62 on: 07, November, 2011 - 09:08:47 »
As a reply I would say that Sir Sinclair did not have a problem with giving the world enough time to get used to the C5. He introduced it in the wrong country.

This I agree with, I think the technology was right but 80's Britian was the wrong place at the wrong time. Netherlands or Asia would of been better suited.

Karl

« Reply #63 on: 07, November, 2011 - 09:09:50 »
Didn't the original c5 get banned to begin with in The Netherlands ? 

The biggest problem any manufacturer seems to face when trying to introduce any new vehicle of this type is the complex legislation imposed by various governments. Then they constantly move the goalposts, just to make life even more difficult  >:(.

Even the original c5 could not be manufactured today as it would not comply with present pedelec regulations  :o.  Thankfully though, all the new red tape is not retrospective. But we do have the authorities to thank for being restricted to a 250w motor , and it is this lack of power that the c5 is most criticised for ::)

Offline frankev

• One Sinclair on the road, doesn't mean it's summer
    • Sinclair meeting in Holland in july 2011
« Reply #64 on: 07, November, 2011 - 11:20:47 »
Yes BooBoo,

In the beginning (1985) the Sinclair was not allowed on the Dutch roads. In 1985 there was no law for electric biking yet. If a factory would like to get it on the road in Holland it would have to ask a road legal status from the RDW. This is a institute that regulates and controls the vehicles (safety, etc) on the dutch roads. Sinclair never asked the RDW to take a look at and legalize the Sinclair C5 (as far as I know), therefore it was an illegal vehicle in 1985.
Since there are much more legal possibilities in 2011 in electric transportation, in my option, Sinclair would have a great test-country for its X1 in Holland.

Greetz

Frank

Karl

« Reply #65 on: 07, November, 2011 - 21:07:00 »
Have to agree that the Netherlands has by far the best cycle network I've ever seen...the Zutphen run was superb  8)