News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Mobile catering conversions?  (Read 8327 times)

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
Re: Mobile catering conversions?
« Reply #15 on: 18, January, 2013 - 19:21:36 »
Really? That's interesting. I'll chat to my friend who would be helping convert.

Unfortunately my ideal location has said no.  :(

Offline theo

• Battery level: 7
  • A Life without C5 would be possible but senseless
« Reply #16 on: 18, January, 2013 - 21:30:16 »

What about an old London double-decker? Eye-catcher and not too expensive.

Offline danny7147

• Battery level: 10
  • If at first you don't succeed... pay someone else.
    • Bikes To The Future
« Reply #17 on: 18, January, 2013 - 22:02:16 »
The other hurdle is that "technically" you can take the seats o u t and have it reclassified as a van/high but a double Decker will still weigh in excess of 10 tons with the seats out which means you'd need a class 2 hgv licence to drive it. Assuming you passed your test a few years ago though you might just get away with a small single decker being able to scrape under the 7.5 ton limit  :-\

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #18 on: 18, January, 2013 - 22:05:00 »
Really Theo? Where can you get them? I've been googling for classic buses for sale but can't find anywhere for them.

Offline danny7147

• Battery level: 10
  • If at first you don't succeed... pay someone else.
    • Bikes To The Future
« Reply #19 on: 18, January, 2013 - 22:29:24 »
You'll think I'm joking, but you often get cheapies on EBay. There were a couple of lovely Wright Crusaders (single deck) on there a couple of weeks ago that sold for £1200 each. You can get a decker for around £800 but beware of hidden expenses because parts don't come cheap. I've been in the bus and coach industry for 17 years, from an assistant manager to a driver so am always happy to help and give advice on any you find  :D

Offline theo

• Battery level: 7
  • A Life without C5 would be possible but senseless
« Reply #20 on: 19, January, 2013 - 03:15:02 »

Among other things, there is an interesting looking 1975 Bedford classic bus (ex-library coach) on eBay.
I also saw some potential vehicles at classic cars uk under the category "commercials" 

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #21 on: 19, January, 2013 - 03:24:56 »
Nice thought Danny, but I don't think Wright Crusaders have the look. I saw the ex-library coach though Theo, I like it but still not there really.

I reckon theres a nice business model there though, converting old bus shells and interesting vehicles in to catering units. Be good for those cases where the interior is too far gone or missing loads.

Offline mhurt

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #22 on: 19, January, 2013 - 14:15:24 »
Not sure if this is of any use, but it's the reply I got from the DVLA about using a bus as a mobile community centre.  If you had a mobile cafe that also doubled as an exhibition of some sort......

A mobile project vehicle is defined in regulation 3 (1) of The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999 as amended as follows:

“a vehicle which has a maximum authorised mass exceeding 3.5 tonnes, is constructed or adapted to carry not more than 8 persons in addition to the driver and carries principally goods or burden consisting of-

(a) play or educational equipment and articles required in connection with the use of such equipment, or
(b) articles required for the purposes of display or of an exhibition,

and the primary purpose of which is use as a recreational, educational or instructional facility when stationary.”

Mobile project vehicles, which meet the definition, are exempt from the normal driver licensing requirements that apply to large vehicles
Regulation 51 (1) (r ) of The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences ) Regulations 1999 allows a person who has held a full GB, Northern Ireland or EC/EEA category B driving licence for an aggregate period of at least 2 years, is aged 21 or over to drive a mobile project vehicle on behalf of a non commercial body :-

(i) to or from the place where the equipment it carries is to be, or has been used, or the display or exhibition is to be, or has been mounted, or

(ii) to or from the place where a mechanical defect in the vehicle is to be , or has been remedied, or
(iii) in such circumstances that by virtue of paragraph 22 of schedule 2 to the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 the vehicle is not chargeable with duty in respect of its use on public roads.
N.B. Drivers who obtained their full category B licences before the 1st January 1997 are not subject to the same conditions as new drivers. They do not have to be 21 years of age or have held the licence for 2 years. The drivers are allowed to drive mobile project vehicles on behalf of both commercial and non-commercial bodies.

Mobile project vehicles which do not meet the definition will be subject to normal driver licensing requirements and the category of entitlement needed to drive the vehicle will depend on the vehicle's maximum authorised mass. This means that the driver of a vehicle, which is: -

a. up to 3.5 tonnes will need to hold category B;
b. between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes will need to hold category C1;
c. over 7.5 tonnes will need to hold category C.  

Offline mhurt

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #23 on: 19, January, 2013 - 14:19:49 »
This page http://www.self-preservation-society.co.uk/jotter/driving.htm has info on the requirements for buses over 30 years old