News:

Meeting the Gadget Show team
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404.0

Author Topic: Great investment!! Mint in box!!  (Read 5963 times)

Offline danny7147

• Battery level: 10
  • If at first you don't succeed... pay someone else.
    • Bikes To The Future
Great investment!! Mint in box!!
« on: 04, January, 2013 - 11:57:36 »
Yet another brand new, never opened C5 has reared its head on Ebay, currently on 350. GREAT INVESTMENT!! Really? Let's look at the facts. £399 in 1985 is £1009.47 now. Very few of these mint boxed ones manage to make half of that! Will they in another 30 years? Who knows... But it reminds me of a friend of mine who, again in the 80's, bought a brand new Sierra. Drained the fluids, dry stored it, and as far as I know it's still there. That car even now would struggle to fetch 5 grand. Boxed, not boxed, face facts, the C5 will never make you rich for one simple reason. It's not a one off Ferrari... It's one of the many still boxed C5s!

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 5
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
Re: Great investment!! Mint in box!!
« Reply #1 on: 04, January, 2013 - 16:47:26 »
My dad said he would buy a brand new C5 but now one has popes up he has changed his mind :P ::) ??? :-\ :(

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 05, January, 2013 - 12:32:01 »
If you had a TARDIS/time machine you would be better off going back to 1986 just as Sinclair Vehicles failed and buying up all the c5 spares and accessories ...that's where the real increase in value has taken place.

Supply and demand.

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #3 on: 06, January, 2013 - 19:35:28 »
Yet another brand new, never opened C5 has reared its head on Ebay, currently on 350. GREAT INVESTMENT!! Really? Let's look at the facts. £399 in 1985 is £1009.47 now. Very few of these mint boxed ones manage to make half of that! Will they in another 30 years? Who knows... But it reminds me of a friend of mine who, again in the 80's, bought a brand new Sierra. Drained the fluids, dry stored it, and as far as I know it's still there. That car even now would struggle to fetch 5 grand. Boxed, not boxed, face facts, the C5 will never make you rich for one simple reason. It's not a one off Ferrari... It's one of the many still boxed C5s!

Now up too £810, that's cheep for a new C5 ::)

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #4 on: 06, January, 2013 - 19:36:41 »
I have just seen the location of it and it's just down the road from me :o :o :o

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 8
« Reply #5 on: 06, January, 2013 - 20:55:30 »
Hi there Luke Go down and take a sneek in the box and let us know if there is anything in it ...(Maybe Jack is there)
(
Bye Chas

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #6 on: 07, January, 2013 - 21:17:46 »
I have moved the posts about remanufacturing indicators to a new, separate thread.

Click here to go to the new thread about remanufacturing indicators.

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #7 on: 07, January, 2013 - 22:46:01 »
Back to my original point, let's look at this £810 wonder. Apologies to older readers, but for the benefit of younger readers to understand what this is about here's a simple explanation about inflation:-

In 1985 I was 7. A can of Coke was about 20p, Mars bar the same. Each year the prices go up a little, so now it's about 65p each. That's about as easy as I can make it.

In 1985 that brand new boxed Sinclair (assuming it was bought list price) would have been £399 plus postage. That, in todays world, is Just over £1000. Now, think of finding somewhere to store that massive box for 27 years, let alone Ebay fees etc, and that £810 is actually a huge loss on what it cost them to buy originally! So where the investment? The price of accessories is going through the roof, but to buy that mint boxed C5 and keep it in the box for another 30years...? Do you think I'll ever make you a fortune?

Offline KarlG

• You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #8 on: 07, January, 2013 - 23:10:20 »
There is a very good chance, once the super rich collectors get to know that the boxed C5 is a very rare item just watch it take off. They wont be for the road but displayed in the super sized lounges as a talking point.

Just like Tom Cruise having a Vincent Black Shadow in his lounge, not to ride but just as an item of interest.

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #9 on: 08, January, 2013 - 11:52:04 »
A Vincent Black Shadow is a far more desirable item thsn a Sinclair C5. Even then how many people do you know with a motorcycle bolted to their living room floor.? Actually, I really knew one , with a fully restored Sunbeam S7 bolted to his dining room floor- it made the room look ridiculous. A Sinclair C5 would not improve the appearance of a living room.

Offline Howard81

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #10 on: 08, January, 2013 - 12:50:48 »
A Vincent Black Shadow should be ridden, not used as a piece of furniture ;D

Offline KarlG

« Reply #11 on: 08, January, 2013 - 13:06:14 »
Sorry but I don't  know any of the super rich. Just a quick question, how big is your living room? In the lounge from some of the super rich they could put your house on display.

A Jap gave out millions of dollars to catch a FISH, the reason being they are super rare. What the item looks like is irrelevant, it must be rare to be a point of interest, just 'look what I've got'.

A Vincent Black Shadow should be ridden, not used as a piece of furniture
What! Do you mean like a C5 bed?  8) 8) 8)

Offline danny7147

• Bikes To The Future
« Reply #12 on: 08, January, 2013 - 13:15:03 »
When did you last see a Sierra on the road? In a museum? They're 80's, rare, and are still worth nothing. Now compare a Lada Riva. Seen one lately? A mint boxed C5 will never be worth more than it is now for one simple reason. There are too many of them. Sure, shoot me down and tell me parity of parts, but I'll dare you to show me one Lada in a museum. Spend years pumping a massive box, and in 30 years time when some 'rich collector' finally opens it, what will they find? Perished tyres, degraded plastic, and more dry joints than my gran. My point is that keeping a fully maintained one out of the box has a better chance than one in the box.

Offline Howard81

• Battery level: 3
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #13 on: 08, January, 2013 - 13:25:22 »
In Finland ;D

Offline KarlG

« Reply #14 on: 08, January, 2013 - 14:08:11 »
The rich are not collectors as such, a box doesn't interest them, that'll be dumped, it's solely the rarity.

Perished tyres, degraded plastic, and more dry joints than my gran.
Everything deteriorates with time whether it be a painting or a C5.

In the 70s and 80s you could find loads of Merc 190SLs in fairly good nick in the scrap yards, until one day a Mag noticed that they were becoming quite rare. Then the price started to soar, within one year the price had quadrupled.

but I'll dare you to show me one Lada in a museum
Sorry but I don't find this to be a good example, I can give you a list a couple of miles long of things that are not shown in a museum.

I don't know about the UK but here the price for a Beetle is soaring, in Holland the Fiat 500, and yet a lot of super machines rot away. It seems to be a case of what tickles your fancy.

I've been collecting photos of the Fairey Rotodyne for years, not what one could call a  beautiful or spectacular aircraft, and for a long time I never paid over £10 for a photo, now they are going for over £200. The same goes for plastic model A/C, I've seen bids for over €2,600 for a kit.

A Vincent Black Shadow should be ridden, not used as a piece of furniture
In a few years time there'll be no more Shadows on the road, the price is reaching the stage whereby no one will risk driving one.

Mind you, you may be right. If Chas keeps up the good work of stopping the rot the C5 wont become so rare.  ;)