News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Hello there - new C5 owner  (Read 4971 times)

aladds

Hello there - new C5 owner
« on: 08, April, 2010 - 17:03:12 »
Hi there!

I'm new to the forum, and to C5 ownership as of a couple of days ago but I'm already having fantastic fun with my little C5.

I stripped it down, sanded and painted the chassis (with a rustproof undercoat) and reassembled everything (this morning). I've not stripped the motor down, and I need to fit new tyres (ordered and with me soon I hope!) but I'd like a little advice.

I have the original key and key switch, but this has been removed and a standard car battery fitted. This was obviously dead, so the first thing I did was take that out and get rid of it. I've got myself an 85AH caravan leisure battery for it, which is all well and good. However, there's no key and no way of turning it off without removing a terminal from the battery. So would someone be able to suggest a replacement key switch? is it worth trying to use the original switch? I don't have any battery caps.

The other thing is the instrument pod. The lights are very dim, could this indicate a problem with it? I had it apart and the electronics are very clean with no corrosion or track lifting at all (my 1986 BBC Master looks worse for wear!) Could it perhaps be that the LEDs are simply old and wearing out? I know they do dim with age. The other problem is that the outer LEDs don't come on at all. I can't see the left set of "strain" LEDs to see if they work or not (I'm a little too tall and I'd prefer to look at the road than crouch!)

Anyway, I'll leave you with a picture of my C5, taken this afternoon.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10211714@N03/4502517619/

Thanks!

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: Hello there - new C5 owner
« Reply #1 on: 08, April, 2010 - 19:38:37 »
Hi and welcome to the forum. Sounds as if you've been busy with the strip down - I have had similar problems with pods - I would suggest cleaning the pins on the red connector that connects into the pod and if your handy with the soldering iron check all the joints on the connector - failing that C5Martin is the wizard of these things and offers a repair service - regards the battery connection most of us use a c5alive wiring kit -which provides you with on on/off switch (instead of a key) as well as reverse polarity protection. The original key switch can be a bit of a pain !!! but it is a personal choice - Great to see your photo's and hope this helps - any problems just ask.

Radiomarty

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 08, April, 2010 - 21:51:34 »
Welcome to c5alive mate, sounds like you're doing a great job restoring that C5 and ,best of all, keeping another one on the road.

Radiomarty is right, C5Martin is still doing pod repairs;
 http://c5alive.co.uk/ecommerce/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=34&osCsid=3c8a9c61b69be3782ad5c03540ed2da7

...it might be worth contacting him and at least getting it bench tested.

As for the c5alive wiring kits, they are out of stock at the moment and "on the list" of stuff to be sorted . 

As always, there are guys here who have worked on and restored C5's who will be able to help with any queries but don't forget to view the forum guide;
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=627.0

..and also the "unofficial" handbook which is well worth printing off. Plus C5Martins tech tips etc should prove useful in helping you get the most out of your particular c5.

Have fun and let us know how you get on  8)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 09, April, 2010 - 10:34:23 »
Welcome to the C5 Alive forum and the fun world of C5 ownership, the C5 Alive wiring loom is a must if you wish to use your C5 regular, I have seen on C5 Martin's site a way of (not being rude here) helping your droop issue  ;D nice to here of more people getting a C5 and joining in with us, keep up the good work and spread that C5 grin  :)   

Retro Andy.

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
« Reply #4 on: 09, April, 2010 - 14:18:11 »
Welcome to the forum ....

Lots of nice people on here ...  Anything you need to know then just ask.  We have all been there when we first got a C5 and without sites like this we would struggle with some of problems  that can be very simple to sort out if you know how...

look forward meeting you at one of the meets.

John

aladds

« Reply #5 on: 09, April, 2010 - 22:01:46 »
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll have to put some of those things on the back burner for a little while however, as I've just discovered a somewhat horrendous issue with my drive wheel bearings!

I won't post a picture (it's dark outside so it'd come out badly anyway) but the main bearing on the axle on that side has disintegrated, some of the needles have embedded themselves in the plastic mount and there's a *lot* of melted plastic.

However, I think I can do something to fix it!

If I get three new bearings, one for the drive wheel (one directional, obviously), one to fit in the right hand side of the section of the motor/axle mount and one to fit where the "integral" bearing was (which has done much destruction) with some sort of collar to fit around the damaged sections (perhaps glued in place?) then everything should be ok.

Finding bearings... Well I'm not sure about that. I found 3 places near me (Cambridge) where I might be able to get some to fit. I'll have to see what I can get!

If anyone's interested, I got out my callipers and measured that I need these sizes:
Firstly the single direction one, 32mm external diam. and 20mm internal. ~26mm long. Second and third are both free to go either way, one 22mm internal and 32mm external (~12mm long) and one 23mm external and the internal matters less, but as long as I can fit a 14mm internal diameter tube into it it'll be fine.

I'm hoping to get some off-the-shelf from somewhere...

aladds

« Reply #6 on: 10, April, 2010 - 17:00:23 »
Well... a trip to Brammer http://www.brammer.co.uk/default.aspx and an interesting chat with the chap there has led me to conclude a couple of things:

The motor mount has probably had it. I'm tempted to get something made to fit instead... Holding the axle is easy, but the motor mount? I'll have to see what I can do... In the mean time I am interested in purchasing another mount (I've posted a wanted)

The axle isn't in brilliant shape. I need to get a section if it made up again, which can be done. There's a little engineering shop near me who should be able to do that. I'll take it over to them this week. *however* I need to know the proper dimensions of the axle, drive side. It looks like there's a tapered bit, so knowing the diameter (and where it changes) may be crucial.

This is what my axle looks like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10211714@N03/4507895940/

(There's also a picture of the other end, I think that's ok, and a couple of pictures of a spare front wheel cover I have, which I would consider part-exchanging for a motor/axle mount)

Thanks!

Karl

« Reply #7 on: 10, April, 2010 - 23:12:42 »
The axle doesn't look too bad, just missing a few bits . Check the link for some piccies of the rear wheel assembly that might help;

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=342.0

aladds

« Reply #8 on: 11, April, 2010 - 20:23:43 »
Yeah you're right, it's not as bad as I thought. I took another look and realised what had happened. At some point in its previous life the left wheel had obviously been off for a tyre change or puncture or something, and had been re-fitted backwards... This caused the splined collar to slip into the wheel, leaving the axle bearing to dig into the axle. Anyway, I've managed to acquire a new plastic motor & axle bracket (which will hopefully arrive this week, Royal Mail permitting...) so all I need now is a replacement clutch bearing for the drive gear (which the chap in Brammer told me is a standard part) and everything should be working fine! I've also discovered a strange 'fix' on the motor gear, I assumed it was standard to start with, but looking at pictures it's never been seen on another C5. Someone's made a plate to fit over the end and stop the belt slipping off. It has three screws which go into the plastic end of the output shaft of the gear box. I'll post a picture to my flickr later.

By the looks of that link, fitting the wheel backwards is pretty common... how strange!

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #9 on: 11, April, 2010 - 22:48:31 »
i'm also adding my very warm welcome,

owning a C5' is an excellent fun hobby and compared to say playing golf relatively cheap, only if your unlucky causing a good walk - instead of spoiling one  ;D

when available, the C5alive wiring kit is a very good and wise investment, possibly the very 1st mod you should make as it protects against your controller and pod suffering severe damage in an accidental (and very common mistake) reverse battery connection.

meanwhile you could fit a battery isolator switch as used in rally cars for a fast disconnect should a problem occur.

good luck with the renovation works and hope to meet up on one of the many organised C5 runs, which if you can make are simply the greatest fun for getting the puplic's reactions alone.

regs
Alan

marcdonnelly

« Reply #10 on: 12, April, 2010 - 10:17:41 »
Is the orignal key switch and key for sale? thanks marc.