News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Only in Germany !  (Read 3305 times)

Offline PLOD11

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 11
  • Trust No one !
Only in Germany !
« on: 28, January, 2012 - 14:35:22 »

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
Re: Only in Germany !
« Reply #1 on: 28, January, 2012 - 14:51:15 »
And I thought the McLaren factory in Britain was cool! The one in your link really is quite something. THe Phaeton's are quite nice cars too, although it's a shame there aren't many of them in the UK.

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #2 on: 28, January, 2012 - 16:34:31 »
Flip , I bet that was expensive

Offline Lancealot

• Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #3 on: 28, January, 2012 - 18:16:34 »
Nice video find...........................

Lance

Karl

« Reply #4 on: 28, January, 2012 - 22:14:23 »
Bit different to the Longbridge plant  :)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #5 on: 29, January, 2012 - 09:12:34 »
Its a bit different to the VW factory I had been round back in 1988. The VW dealership I worked for at the time (my first job) had won the national blue ribbon aftersales award and all of the aftersales departments went to Germany for two days and got to visit/tour of the VW factory.

Retro Andy.

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #6 on: 29, January, 2012 - 16:17:48 »
Hi Andy -would that have been the factory Wolfsburg - I went round it in about 83 while on a school trip to the area  :) :) :) Little did I know then I would spend 14 years in a Vauxhall factory

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #7 on: 30, January, 2012 - 12:15:07 »
I visited the Jaguar factory in the mid 70's on a labour relations mission and the place was deserted-all out on strike!!.
Also went to Triumph at Speke and was horrified to see new cars trundling down the line with the petrol cap chipping the paintwork as it dangled on its chain-this apparently was a deliberate ploy by the unions to create extra rework as the remedial painters were the highest paid production workers-the union excuse was that leaving the petrol cap undone made it easier to put petrol in the car at the end of the line.   

Offline vanpeebles

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #8 on: 30, January, 2012 - 12:52:51 »
The Speke factory was nothing short of scandalous. The TR7 was a good car ruined by appalling workers who had no respect for their work or jobs.

Offline coverman

« Reply #9 on: 31, January, 2012 - 17:11:46 »
Good as that film about the Phaeton factory was, it is not the only factory in world where you can watch cars being assembled through a window. In Mooresville NC one has for years been able to watch Nascar cars being built, and in case you think they are one-offs, most have a production run of 50 or so!
I visited a factory in Israel in 1991 that had only 4 factory floor workers and they,2 per shift, sat at monitors and were only called upon when the automatic diamond cutting tool making machines couldn't fix their own fault revealed by automatic quality checks.These guys weren't needed often. Magnetically guided electric trains running on black marble tracks (the rest of the floor was yellow marble) trundled from goods inwards to the machine to deliver raw material, then carried finished items to the stores, and then another robot picked stock to fulfill orders and boxed them to await the courier for export to any of 62 countries.Incidentally the trains were programmed to shout proximity warnings in different languages manually selected dependent on the country from which the frequent visitors were from. 

Offline thedesigntailor

• designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #10 on: 31, January, 2012 - 23:42:00 »
What brand was the Israel factory for?

Offline coverman

« Reply #11 on: 01, February, 2012 - 12:10:15 »
Sorry ,can't remember and I can no longer ask because my father's cousin who was the sales manager is now dead. It was then apparently the world's leading brand of diamond cutting tools and that was reinforced by the industrial estate it was in which was owned by the company and gave support to new companies with export potential until they were established( why cant that sort of thing be done here?)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #12 on: 06, February, 2012 - 17:43:34 »
Yes Marty is was, a really good couple of days, the tour around the factory was in a VW Golf with a trailer with seats.
If I remember right their is a grave yard on the site of workers that died at work back in the 40's etc ?

Retro Andy.