News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Land's End to john o'groats on a C5!!!  (Read 14121 times)

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Re: Land's End to john o'groats on a C5!!!
« Reply #15 on: 27, March, 2009 - 06:40:08 »
Assuming you keep at it for 12 hrs a day - non stop it will take you a week. But allowing for the fact that you wont get 12 hrs from a battery, perhaps not even one if its hilly - you might be an old man by the time you get back - lol

Offline alan1310

• Battery level: 5
  • i wish i was that man
« Reply #16 on: 27, March, 2009 - 07:49:32 »
this is sounding better and better by the min i am well up for it but for todays challage is to move 2 c5s without pods or control boxes 4.5 miles bonseys is still a bit stiff as well so dont fancy peddeling that

Offline minidaz

• Battery level: 6
« Reply #17 on: 08, April, 2009 - 19:22:50 »
While searching on some random C5 bits i found this :

http://archive.oxfordmail.net/2002/8/5/35985.html

Not sure i fancy the ' twisted knee ligaments ' though  :D

Daz

Bonesy

« Reply #18 on: 25, April, 2009 - 16:39:25 »
Hey, How's it going?

Here's the info i got from Chris...

OK…. From the top….

The only batteries I would use are carbon-fibre cells, more amp-hours for less weight than the equivalent leisure cells…. Unless you can sort out something based on NiCd or lithium ……

I had a pair of them connected in parallel and use a 20-amp switchmode smart charger. Basically every time I stopped I’d try to get someone to let me plug in.

Spares: 3 wheels/tyres./inner tubes. Spare axle (always a bugbear on my machine) spare motor..Toolkit capable of stripping the whole thing down (not as big as you’d expect) plus I put a 12V takeoff on my battery pack so that I could run phone charger etc and I’ve got an electric tyre inflator as the C5 tyres run pretty  high pressure (I used Schwalbes at around 50-60psi)

My C5 has a trailer hitch on the bracketry that holds the Sturmey-Archer gearhub that acts as a gearbox on my pedals.

Started at John O’Groats because if I had a problem in Scotland I had all the time booked off work to deal with it…. Down south I could get out of a bail-out problem quickly, in Scotland there’s a lot of space between things…. The basic route is to try an davoid hills but you’re also stuck on trying to keep the route short too…. Basically head from JOG to Thurso , turn down through Sutherland (it avoids Berriedale because that is a horror story on a C5) that takes you out to the East coast of Scotland, to Inverness, Aviemore, Perth, Edinburgh, down through the borders to the eastern edge of the Lake District run down between Manchester and Liverpool, west of Birmingham, turn the corner at Bristol, trying to find a flat route in Cornwall was hard, but I figured I would be a lot fitter by the time I got there J

It’s been done by one C5 shared between a team of people, don’t think it’s ever been done solo…. If you have two of you then you’ll have a support vehicle which will make life a lot easier, I was towing the trailer with all my camping gear/Spares etc in behind the C5…… On a good day I was getting through 50-60 miles, with a support vehicle I would expect that to go up a bit but having done a 100 mile day on the Glastonbury trips I don’t think going over 50-60 miles a day is very good for you, that’s 5-6 hours riding a day and on mine that means pedalling nearly all the time…..

chrisc

Offline minimin

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #19 on: 25, April, 2009 - 17:02:09 »
If you pop into Liverpool, don't forget to say hello!
Marl

Offline alan1310

• Battery level: 5
  • i wish i was that man
« Reply #20 on: 30, April, 2009 - 14:54:00 »
well now bonsey has pulled out due to being a twa*t and selling it i am looking for some one mad enough to do it  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline minidaz

« Reply #21 on: 30, April, 2009 - 15:50:54 »
Give me some time to get fitter ( or should that be get fit  ;D ) and i might consider it  :D
Certainly something a bit mad, but i guess it's the chance to raise a shed load for charity that appeals.

Just aslong as your not planning it for this year  :D

Daz

Karl

« Reply #22 on: 30, April, 2009 - 17:48:28 »
I'm full of admiration for anyone attempting LEJOG , whether on a C5 or any other form of human powered transport. I'm too much of a chicken to try it myself....the London-Brighton run was enough for me  :P

Karl

« Reply #23 on: 09, May, 2009 - 15:49:09 »
A gent from the BVS is trying LEJOG on an electric moped;
 http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1966

It's his third attempt , so fingers crossed  8)

Offline minidaz

« Reply #24 on: 02, August, 2009 - 21:14:21 »
I'm actually thinking of giving this a go, either next year or the year after.

Been doing, and still doing, lots of research :  checking lots of sites, reading how other people on bikes / trikes / walking have got on, what's best in terms of accomadation, what equipment etc etc

My current plan is , once August is out the way ( busy busy month ), to start building up the miles on my C5, gradually getting used to longer and longer distances  ( my furthest drive to date is around 8 miles  :D )

We'll see how it goes, but atleast i should get fitter in the process  ;D

Daz

Nitrowing

« Reply #25 on: 03, August, 2009 - 00:06:28 »
How many calories a day have you figured on consuming? I think you're going to need a good 3500 - 4000 calories, which is quite a bit of food to take with you...
« Last Edit: 03, August, 2009 - 09:04:38 by Nitrowing »

Offline minidaz

« Reply #26 on: 03, August, 2009 - 08:21:39 »
Most places have shops , pubs etc, so ( and it seems to be quite normal going on what i've read ) you don't actually need to load up with food. Maybe just enough to get you through to the next location.

Daz

Karl

« Reply #27 on: 03, August, 2009 - 13:33:30 »
The gent that completed LEJOG on his electric moped was at Amberley, you could have had a chat with him.

The logistics will take some planning ,as well as all the other preparation, but I reckon it is possible.

Go for it mate, it will be something to tell your grandkids about  ;D

Offline minidaz

« Reply #28 on: 03, August, 2009 - 15:39:23 »
The logistics will take some planning ,as well as all the other preparation, but I reckon it is possible.

That's exactly why i'm looking to the next year or 2  :D

I think it's fun to have a bit of a challenge  ;D

Daz

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #29 on: 03, August, 2009 - 18:08:18 »
What about London to Brighton September 2010 to celebrate 25 years of the Sinclair C5 ?

It will give you a tenth of an idea of what you will be up against.

I'm hoping to generate some interest in an event like this.