News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Check your brake cables!  (Read 5934 times)

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
Re: Check your brake cables!
« Reply #15 on: 09, January, 2013 - 13:48:07 »
SRAM claim that Gore will still produce sets for them.
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/gore-shifts-out-of-cable-business-35104/

Anyway I have never bought any Ride On material from dealers, I just wait for a reasonable private sale in ebay and if the bids are low enough I place a bid. But to be on the save side I will start to look for reserve material.

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #16 on: 09, January, 2013 - 13:58:38 »
PLEASE READ AND TAKE TO HEART.

With the first ride on a brand new bike I had to go down a very steep hill, halfway down the hill the cable end pulled off one of the cables, and the other brake had very little braking effect. Net result was I shot into the main road at the bottom of the hill at a very high speed, as luck would have it there wasn't any traffic. I was in such a state of shock I had to sit down for 15 minutes, and my knees were still knocking for over an hour later. When I bitched at the shop they said the brake cables were of the cheap sort and that the cables were also not prestretched, hence the low braking effect on the second brake. Since this time I have always fitted my bikes with the best cables I can find, prestretched and stainless steel.

I don't know about you lot, but it doesn't matter how old I am, I'm too young to die.  ::) ::) So save your money on the brake cables, this will help to offset the cost of your funeral.  :-\ :-\

Sorry that I appear to be a killjoy once again, but I find this to be a very serious subject.

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 5
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #17 on: 09, January, 2013 - 16:13:48 »
I'm taking less and less trust in my brakes, I don't ever want to be in a situation that you had Karl :o :o :o :o :o