News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Crank (Bottom bracket) Removal  (Read 11720 times)

c5martin

Crank (Bottom bracket) Removal
« on: 21, September, 2008 - 21:43:50 »
Remove pedal caps
Remove Front Sprocket Covers
Fit pedal crank removal tool (can be purchased at any bicycle shop)
Remove pedals
Spin/Knock off locking ring on Near side crank
Fit crank removal star to crank bolt
NOTE: NearSide (left hand when sat on the c5) is std screw thread (Clock wise tighten : Anti-clockwise Loosen)
OffSide is reverse thread.
Spin off
Slide out crank (sometimes called bottom bracket) with ball races.

Refitting is the reverse of removing - however ensure the ball races are thoughly cleaned and well greased along with the bearing cups.

Karl

Re: Crank (Bottom bracket) Removal
« Reply #1 on: 14, August, 2009 - 08:43:15 »
I took these piccies whilst repairing "Dave", thought they might help visualise what c5martin is saying;

The hammer and screwdriver might not be the proper tools, but used carefully they do the job  :)

There is a silver locking ring on the other side that can also be undone using the same method..

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #2 on: 14, August, 2009 - 12:28:43 »
I wish these pictures were on here when I was dismantling my C5, as it was years since I had removed such a thing of a bike and was'nt 100% sure what I was doing at the time.

Retro Andy.

Nitrowing

« Reply #3 on: 20, August, 2009 - 21:32:48 »
Has anyone got the bottom bracket size? I'd like to replace mine with a sealed unit want to strip it apart and then sit around with it unusable.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #4 on: 21, August, 2009 - 10:33:37 »
Has anyone got the bottom bracket size? I'd like to replace mine with a sealed unit want to strip it apart and then sit around with it unusable.

eh?

Nitrowing

« Reply #5 on: 21, August, 2009 - 22:13:51 »

eh?

Bottom brackets are made as sealed units these days - you fit and forget! I have a titanium lying around from when I owned a bicycle shop but I don't want to pull my C5 apart to pull the original bearing set out to find I don't have the right sized replacement.

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #6 on: 05, November, 2009 - 17:57:26 »
just thought i'd mention, due to this thread i've bought one of these off Ebay -:

BIKE CRANK PEDAL ARM EXTRACTOR / FITTING TOOL NEW

(item no.) 390108005029 - Price: £4.99 + £2.50 postage

there were 4 left

regs
alan

C5-Ben

« Reply #7 on: 10, January, 2010 - 15:12:37 »
Hi,

Does someone know if that Ebay Article    370308656318  could i use to remove the both pedals complete from the midlle gear bearing? Because I'm trying to dismantle the body completly.

Thx,
Ben

Karl

« Reply #8 on: 10, January, 2010 - 18:41:35 »
Hi,

Does someone know if that Ebay Article    370308656318  could i use to remove the both pedals complete from the midlle gear bearing? Because I'm trying to dismantle the body completly.

Thx,
Ben

It looks like the same as my one, so should be ok.