News:

"You Tube" footage of the C5alive meetings
http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=303.0

Author Topic: Sinclair C5 Cup 2012  (Read 4958 times)

Offline theo

• Battery level: 7
  • A Life without C5 would be possible but senseless
Sinclair C5 Cup 2012
« on: 10, January, 2013 - 12:00:52 »
Hi and Happy New Year,
Last July, on the occasion of an EV-meeting about 100 km south of Frankfurt, I organized a "Sinclair C5 Cup". The competition comprised a theoretical part (10 questions about the C5), a 40 meter slalom, a 1200 m "speed-race" with motor, and a 600 m "transpiration-race", just pedalling. Luckily somebody made a 69 minute video (in German) of the
whole meeting, which took two days. Just google "Waldmühle 2012 - youtube."
The parts of the video which are relevant to the Sinclair C5 cup are as follows: Minute 7.25 - 20.08: Preparation, training and slalom competition. From minute 50.20 onwards: warm up an races including victory ceremony.
Obviously the participants had a lot of fun, so I am thinking about repeating it in 2013.
The video also shows a seperate competiton, in which the participants had to fix a C5 onto a surfboard, let it into
a creek, pulling or pushing it 100 meters upstream and carrying both things back inside a certain time.

Greetings from the Black Forest,

Theo

Offline danny7147

• Battery level: 10
  • If at first you don't succeed... pay someone else.
    • Bikes To The Future
Re: Sinclair C5 Cup 2012
« Reply #1 on: 10, January, 2013 - 12:27:20 »
Count me in if there's an English one ;-)

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 11, January, 2013 - 10:05:13 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKPtiUS5EBQ

superb ! Love seeing all those mini-el's as well...I miss my one  :'(

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #3 on: 11, January, 2013 - 12:54:01 »
A good coverage of C5ers having fun, pity there wasn't any coverage concerning the technical aspects of the C5s.

At 6:20 the commentator quotes "This year, for the first time, there's a Sinclair C4 Cup".  ???

From 40:46 there's a shot of a trailer coupling fitted to the top of the red C5, it can be seen again later in the coverage. I'm just wondering exactly has been modded, that is if it's been modded, and what sort of load it can take.

Offline theo

« Reply #4 on: 12, January, 2013 - 08:50:53 »
Hi Karl,
some technical aspects: No. 1: hub motor, 24 V, NiCd, 7 gears
                                   No. 2: 12V, Lithium, 3 gears
                                   No. 3: 12V, Lead, 5 gears
                                   No. 4: no motor, 3 gears, modded bike coupling for an old bike trailer with bent shaft,
                                             load depends on the stamina of the driver :)
                                   No. 5: original condition, Lead

Offline KarlG

« Reply #5 on: 12, January, 2013 - 12:52:49 »
Hi Theo,

many thanks for the info, seems like there's been a hell of lot of modding going on. Which of them was yours?

No. 4: no motor, 3 gears, modded bike coupling for an old bike trailer with bent shaft,  load depends on the stamina of the driver
If he hasn't added reinforcement to the 'A' frame it would be more a case of 'depends on the stamina of the C5'.  ::) ::)

Offline theo

« Reply #6 on: 12, January, 2013 - 14:07:05 »
Hi Karl,
the yellow one belongs to me and my wife drove it. I think it is safer with a striking colour. Gears and a trailer coupling are necessary for my long camping trips. Apart from that I want to leave my C5 in it´s original condition. However some of the owners I know consider the C5 as a challenge to modify things. One of them is thinking about putting in springs to improve the driving comfort.

Offline Dave.76

• Battery level: 3
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #7 on: 12, January, 2013 - 19:06:13 »
Great video, I like the look of the slalom event in particular. I wouldn't mind having a go at that myself  :)
« Last Edit: 12, January, 2013 - 19:08:18 by Dave.76 »

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
« Reply #8 on: 12, January, 2013 - 19:38:13 »
Good video...........................

Lance

Offline KarlG

« Reply #9 on: 12, January, 2013 - 19:56:30 »
Hi Theo,

I didn't notice the trailer coupling on your C5, but IMO your coupling mount looks far more substantial than #4's, but if modded correctly #4's coupling could be attached or removed in a couple of seconds.

Although you didn't mention it #2 has been highly modified, see below.

It looks to me as if he is driving a 3 speed hub directly from the motor, if yes it's a very good idea. Please note coverman. 8) 8)  It also looks like he has no gearbox fitted in the pedal chain line, which is not such a good idea.

I now know why he has no boot fitted.  ;D ;D

His motor appears to have a lot more power than the 250W'ers thus giving him an advantage in the powered go-kart race.

As I write this, #1's arrangement has given me an idea. In the cellar I have an old 2 seater kiddies trailer and the seating is fitted to a sprung sub-frame, with front wheel drive and stronger springs fitted I might be able to couple this to the C6 frame. Wheels are fitted to stub axles, so there would be no problem there. Only problem I have at the moment is I can't remember what size the wheels are. :-\

Offline theo

« Reply #10 on: 13, January, 2013 - 08:55:14 »
Hi Karl,
Indeed my coupling mount is quite solid. However the coupling itself is not a good example of german engineering skills, but it works. It was intended as a temporary measue and has become a permanent solution. I have to admit,
that No. 2 changed a lot. I will ask him about details at some point. By the way, the boot would have fitted, but we couldn´t find the clips.

Offline C5 ENTHUSIAST + RESTORER

• Millennium Member
« Reply #11 on: 13, January, 2013 - 09:24:33 »
Hi there it looks great to me ...

Offline KarlG

« Reply #12 on: 13, January, 2013 - 13:37:10 »
Hi Theo,

I assume that your construction is out of ali. as your trailer is an extreme lightweight unit. What do you think the max towing weight could your construction take before buckling?

Just bye the bye does anyone ever ask you if you're going to Lodz?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline theo

« Reply #13 on: 13, January, 2013 - 18:19:03 »
Hi Karl,
I am just comming back from my afternoon trip to Lodz, with my trailer and a towing weight of 500 kg.  :) :) :)
A steel construction would have been too heavy, so I decided to use ali, although a friend of mine had considerable problems with it. So I used thicker ali. Last year I did about 550 km without problems. The average towing weight was about 25 kilos including two solar panels. In May, I intend to do the Southern Black Forest Cycle Route, and the (poor) trailer will also be loaded with the luggage of my wife.  :( :( :(  I will keep you informed about my experiences.