News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: C5 brake light  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Lancealot

• Battery level: 5
  • Owning C5s are a pleasure and hassle..............
C5 brake light
« on: 22, March, 2011 - 21:54:37 »
Hi all,

Got the rear light now converted to work as a light and as a brake light. I have used from ebay,
1) Bulb Holder BAY15D Straight Cable Exit BH0014 from wattbulb07 (£4.90 inc delivery for 2off),
2) 220V 10A SPDT Green Push Button Micro Limit Switch DS428 from shinykingdom (£2.54 inc delivery)
3) A P21w/5w BAY15d car light bulb (brake/tail) from any car accessories / petrol station (£0.99).
4) A makeshift metal bracket and some cable.
5) I have also used an old petrol can plastic spout (cut down).

You need to cut out the existing bulb holder to make a largenough hole for the bulb to pretrude into the rear lense. I used the cut down spout with 4 flaps glued down to hold the spout to the rear lense and then just put some tape to neaten the area.

The existing bulb holder has 2 wires and due to the C5 using a negative (0v) switched feed to the rear bulb (purple wire) and a permanent positive (+12v) to the bulb (red wire), when using the new bulb holder it has 3 wires (note a LED bulb will not work). The new holder has two black wires and one red. The red wire is for the new brake light circuit. I used a two core cable starting from the (-ve) X1 terminal within the control box to one side of the microswitch. Then from the apposing side of the microswitch to the red wire on the bulb holder. The other two existing wires connect to the two black bulb wires (note you must connect the existing red wire to the outer case black wire of the new holder which gives a +12v to the case of the bulb holder).     

I have put some photos and a video of it working.

http://s1081.photobucket.com/albums/j346/LanceColwyn/?action=view&current=MOV03247.mp4

thanks Lance

« Last Edit: 23, March, 2011 - 23:19:32 by Lancealot »

Karl

Re: C5 brake light
« Reply #1 on: 23, March, 2011 - 12:12:54 »
Absolutely superb mate - proper case of "improvise, adapt and overcome"  8)

Jonny

« Reply #2 on: 23, March, 2011 - 16:57:53 »
Awesome  :)

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #3 on: 23, March, 2011 - 20:36:27 »
Very good stuff  ;)

Retro Andy.