News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Is this Normal  (Read 11643 times)

Offline pso-buzz

• Battery level: 4
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
Is this Normal
« on: 15, January, 2013 - 14:24:06 »
Hello all

Ok so I went to put new front brake pads on today after the front brake being useless at the weekend and I found the front wheel looking like this:

Its appears to have a grey ring of material stuck to it. I am not sure if it should be there as a surface for the brake to gain friction.  Or what I  think is possible is that the old brake pads have melted and stuck to the wheel!

Here is the brake pad:

What do you think.

Thanks for your advice in advance

Simon

marra

Re: Is this Normal
« Reply #1 on: 15, January, 2013 - 15:03:57 »
Hi Simon. You can avoid or at least lower the damage by using leather or leather faced bicycle brake blocks. They usually come under the traditional category from wooden wheels. At around £6- £8 a pair, straight fit into the caliper fitting . M

Offline pso-buzz

« Reply #2 on: 15, January, 2013 - 15:16:14 »
Thanks Marra

I have just replaced these with ones from the club but was not sure if I should chop off this grey coating.

Simon

marra

« Reply #3 on: 15, January, 2013 - 15:17:05 »
Hi Again Simon. Found some, these are the faced :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quad-Traditional-Cycle-Bicycle-Brake-Blocks-Leather-Face-Pair-/320943104488?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4ab9b321e8

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULL-SET-OF-4-LEATHER-FACED-SPECIAL-ALL-WEATHER-BRAKE-BLOCKS-FOR-STEEL-RIMS-40mm-/400387661858?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item5d38f6e022

They advertise for steel rims only, however this is usually stated as the other wheel option is Alloy and these can cause a bronzing on the rim.

Here are some old used ones from a chopper, as you can see these are also leather as the leather polishes up and does not cause the friction as rubber :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-4-Raleigh-Brake-Blocks-Shoes-Chopper-Vintage-Bicycle-/230911052933?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item35c35f0c85

Or if you want a very strong steel wheel, this could work if the inner fork size is the same.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BICYCLE-WHEEL-SUPER-STRONG-HEAVY-DUTY-12-IN-52-SPOKES-/120936715315?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2863d433

M

Offline pso-buzz

« Reply #4 on: 15, January, 2013 - 16:17:01 »
Hi Marra, thanks for all the links.

So the brake pads the club sells are not as good as the one you advise?

I am slowly getting my head around this C5 lark!!

So should that grey stuff be on my wheel?  Should I chip it off?

Simon

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #5 on: 15, January, 2013 - 17:33:15 »
I don't know what this 'grey stuff' is, but my C5 was practically unused when I bought it. After the first few applications of the front brake this 'grey stuff' started to appear, not sure if it's normal but it hasn't given me any problems.

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 5
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #6 on: 15, January, 2013 - 17:50:56 »
Well mines not like that  :-\ :-\

marra

« Reply #7 on: 15, January, 2013 - 18:00:53 »
The grey stuff is the rubber from the pad melted to/into the plastic wheel. you can either leave it or ,very carfully using emery cloth-2k with olive oil using a full circular motion round the rim to remove it, which is what I would advise ! It is not meant to be there regardless if others have it , afterall was it there before or manufactured like that..... no .

Offline pso-buzz

« Reply #8 on: 15, January, 2013 - 18:12:39 »
Ah right. Thank you.

I will start removing it I think as it makes the braking pretty useless.  Unless it is just useless?

I think it might chip off.  I will take a look at it tomorrow.

Thanks

Simon

Offline pso-buzz

« Reply #9 on: 16, January, 2013 - 18:30:02 »
Right I have taken your advice Marra and ordered a set of these brake pads. 

I have had a look at the wheel today and it's gonna be a big job to get this grey stuff off.

After fitting these new pads do you think it might wear off? 

Luke could you please advise us what pads you have on as they are obviously not the same as the ones I had or the ones kamelb1988 has.

Thanks.

Simon

marra

« Reply #10 on: 16, January, 2013 - 18:43:16 »
Could wear off the wheel, or the wheel could be abrasive against the pad ? Just keep your eye on it.

Offline Luke S

• Luke 2000
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 5
  • Sinclair C5
    • brooklandsmuseum
« Reply #11 on: 16, January, 2013 - 18:46:00 »
Right I have taken your advice Marra and ordered a set of these brake pads. 

I have had a look at the wheel today and it's gonna be a big job to get this grey stuff off.

After fitting these new pads do you think it might wear off? 

Luke could you please advise us what pads you have on as they are obviously not the same as the ones I had or the ones kamelb1988 has.

Thanks.

Simon

I'll see if I can have a look ;)

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #12 on: 16, January, 2013 - 18:54:12 »
My front pads are the originals. I don't use the front brake as it's rather crap anyway and I find the rear sufficient. I may look at upgrading the front pads though, just in case the rear brake fails I guess it would be good to have a back up that actually slows me down.

Offline pso-buzz

« Reply #13 on: 16, January, 2013 - 18:59:32 »
Are the originals the grey ones?  If so then I would say it is a serious design flaw.

I guess if you have black pads then it's possible that there is a coating of black melted brake pad in your wheel.

If it is a flaw then I would have thought more people would have this problem.

I have to say my front brake is rubbish!  I am hoping that if I sort this out it may be better.

Thanks

Simon

Offline KarlG

• Battery level: 8
  • You don't have to be mad to own a C5, but it helps
« Reply #14 on: 16, January, 2013 - 20:00:48 »
I have to say my front brake is rubbish!

Both the original callipers and brake blocks are quite good when looked after, maybe not the best, but together with a plastic wheel the trouble starts. It's not unknown for the inner tube to burst out because the plastic was worn through or the rim has melted due to the heat.

For this reason I'm going over to a metal rim (ali) or to fit a disk brake. As I quoted in another post, regardless of how old I am I'm too young to die.  ::) ::)