News:

"I don't live in the past. I'm always excited by what I'm doing in the present." Sir Clive Sinclair

Author Topic: That was close!  (Read 4444 times)

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 7
    • Project XJ40
That was close!
« on: 11, June, 2012 - 16:13:15 »
Stuck in traffic coming into school this morning, I stopped alongside a left-hand-drive council pick-up thing which was stationary in a lay-by and as soon as the car in front of me started moving he, presumably having not seen me, started to pull back out into the traffic. I knocked on his window and got out quickly so he noticed me, thankfully no damage caused to anything. I was, however, left slightly shaken.
« Last Edit: 11, June, 2012 - 16:15:09 by kamilb1998 »

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Re: That was close!
« Reply #1 on: 11, June, 2012 - 16:45:24 »
Sounds like a lucky near miss bud - be careful out there !

rafarestaura

« Reply #2 on: 11, June, 2012 - 17:49:17 »
Buff Kamil, it sound like you need to install a marine horn or heavy claxon in the C5 for emergency situations like this one  ;), that horn can save your live in a heavy traffic situation, the few moments I drive the C5 with heavy traffic conditions I use to switch the four indicators on when I stop, the mix of lights and sound makes people look at me   :D :D. I´m glad you are safe  ;D ;D ;D

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #3 on: 11, June, 2012 - 19:31:26 »
If it wasn't for the fact that the council truck was a left-hooker this wouldn't have happened as he would have most likely seen me. But yes, I am thinking of installing a horn, and a hi-vis mast if I can track one down.

Offline jockywilson11

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #4 on: 11, June, 2012 - 21:02:30 »
Hi Kamil,

Get yourself a bike safety flag and put a decent sized flag on it too. The bike safety pole is a bit smaller than the holes on the back of the C5. I just wrapped some PVC tape round the end of the pole and made a decent tight fit. You can get one from any decent bike shop. Easier to come by than a Sinclair one, and will do until you can get one.

As for fitting a horn,  use the Sinclair switch to switch a 30a relay and connect a car horn through the high current side of the relay. They will hear that!

Offline Ant

• Battery level: 2
  • 4 legs may be better than 2 but 3 wheels better then anything!
« Reply #5 on: 11, June, 2012 - 23:12:44 »
Theres a high vis mast just been posted on ebay mate

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #6 on: 12, June, 2012 - 09:18:29 »
Theres a high vis mast just been posted on ebay mate

Yup, it's in my watch list. I am, however, rather skint at the minute so don't think I'll be bidding. Unless the parents agree to fund it.

Offline coverman

• Battery level: 4
« Reply #7 on: 12, June, 2012 - 10:35:43 »
Just shows how impractical a C5 really is

Offline MikeDX

• Battery level: 1
« Reply #8 on: 12, June, 2012 - 12:38:41 »
Well, you say that Coverman, but If anything had happened, then that would be the first c5 accident I'd ever heard of.

Plenty of people 'say' about C5s being unsafe, but has anybody here been in an accident, or know of anybody who has??

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #9 on: 12, June, 2012 - 18:02:25 »

I wouldn't exactly call them impractical coverman after all it gets Kamilb and his school books etc to school and back cheaply and at an age where he is too young to drive a motor vehicle - very practical I would say
« Last Edit: 12, June, 2012 - 18:11:18 by radiomarty »

Offline kamilb1998

• Global Moderator
    • Project XJ40
« Reply #10 on: 12, June, 2012 - 18:26:17 »

I wouldn't exactly call them impractical coverman after all it gets Kamilb and his school books etc to school and back cheaply and at an age where he is too young to drive a motor vehicle - very practical I would say

Low visibility from a LHD truck isn't really impractical, it does get me to school and back cheaply and reliably - only thing that's gone wrong in the last 1000 miles is a faulty chain tensioner.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #11 on: 13, June, 2012 - 06:41:10 »

Have you ever heard anyone say that bicycles are impractical ? because I know that thousands of people have been knocked off, hurt or killed when riding a bike on the road, but know one ever says that bikes shouldn't be on the road  >:(  And what about motorbikes ? The C5 is very practical, you don't get dirt and wet spray up back, the seat is comfatable, it has a boot, the lights are great and you get a rest from pedalling along the way.

Retro Andy.

Offline thedesigntailor

• Battery level: 5
  • designer and C5 newbie
    • GLOW creative
« Reply #12 on: 13, June, 2012 - 18:08:57 »
Haha - Sometimes I'm sure Coverman is a troll!

Glad to hear you are ok Kamil - I was hit by a car on my bike friday - Luckily not hard. But it was still a bit of shock!
I've always felt safe in my C5 - in fact people can't miss such an unusual shape on even busy roads. I normally get people slowing down just to look. Also we have an abundance of cycle lanes here in Bristol. Which is good.