News:

Welcome to C5alive, the best place for help & advice on how to get the most from your iconic Sinclair C5. Check the meetings section today for events near you.
C5alive.co.uk  - Keeping the C5 Alive !!

Author Topic: Batteries weight?  (Read 4753 times)

C5-Ben

Batteries weight?
« on: 13, August, 2009 - 10:42:15 »
Hi,
I'm thinking to put a more power Ah Battery in, but that will add more Kg's to the C5 bottom.
Also my to handle with two batteries - switched/switch able.
60Ah are all around 20-27Kg's and if i put two i will get approx 50Kg more...

I life in Bavaria/Germany and we have here a lot of hills  :-\
so I guess I need more Ah as the normal 36Ah
which I got with my first C5, second C5 was battery dead.

Did someone have some experience of weight - capacities - one/two batteries?
Thx for any reply

PS: At the moment I didn't drive with the 36Ah longer as 1h in a big flat old factory hall...

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
Re: Batteries weight?
« Reply #1 on: 13, August, 2009 - 11:27:58 »
Hi Ben,

Try to think of battery AH as lasting power & not as performance power. A double battery setup will last longer, but as the c5 will weigh more so the performance will suffer, even more so up hills.  So you may have to pedal a little more than you do now, but the result is you can go further than You can on one battery.

I must also add that sometimes a 1 good quality battery may very well out perform 2 low cost batteries.  Another point to consider is battery life cycles it's ok buying a good expensive battery and getting great performance out of it, but what happens when it won't hold a charge anymore after 5 months of use ?  Leisure batteries will give more charge / discharge cycles but weigh more, so your back with the weight problem again.

On the site there is a tried and tested page with a few battery write ups.  To get better performace up hills your going to need to go 24v as 12 does not carry the current required, alas as well as legal issues it also has wear issues on the old nylon gearbox.

My advice is to pedal harder - lol
« Last Edit: 13, August, 2009 - 11:56:32 by Umpa »

Karl

« Reply #2 on: 13, August, 2009 - 16:50:28 »
I have to agree that Sinclair C5's simply do not cope at all well with hills.

To make matters worse, every solution seems to create its own set of new problems.

Reducing battery weight by using Lithium Ion batteries is one option, but these are very expensive and need careful charging and maintenance. You could expect an excellent increase in range though,but no increase in actual motor performance.

24v conversion will provide a useful increase in power to help get up those hills, plus some useful increase in straight line performance. But you have to carry the two batteries to provide the 24v, increasing weight and reducing range, plus the fragile gearboxes tend to self-destruct.

Fitting gears to help with the pedalling is a good idea, but does require a little bit of engineering work. 

Don't forget that getting up those hills can also cause the motor to overheat and potentially shut down to protect itself. A cooling fan is a "must".

Finally, too much effort on that rear axle can cause it to bend - it is hollow and was one of the areas Chris Crosskey had to strengthen on his LEJOG c5.

Whichever solution you choose to go for is down to personal choice. Over the winter I'm looking at a chain drive and metal gearbox solution, combined with a maxxed out 24v system - should be entertaining  ;D

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 13, August, 2009 - 20:42:35 »
I have fitted a C5Alive fan to both mine and Marks and its made them usable.  His always over heated and thats with him on it, now its perfect as real joy to drive.  I know I said I wanted it bog standard - but the fan is a must.

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 13, August, 2009 - 21:25:20 »
« Last Edit: 13, August, 2009 - 21:39:56 by Umpa »

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #5 on: 13, August, 2009 - 22:04:32 »
I have fitted a C5Alive fan to both mine and Marks and its made them usable.  His always over heated and thats with him on it, now its perfect as real joy to drive.  I know I said I wanted it bog standard - but the fan is a must.

That's right I wanted to keep mine standard, but you can only do that if you keep it new in its box, if you want to use your C5 the best thing is a few C5Alive upgrades to keep it on the road.

Retro Andy

C5-Ben

« Reply #6 on: 14, August, 2009 - 19:19:19 »
First will be now to add a Fan on the Motor for little cooling  :)
Next step than try how far I get with my 36Ah Battery.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #7 on: 15, August, 2009 - 08:34:56 »
Changing the battery wiring to the C5 Alive wiring loom with quick release connections is the most important item to keep a C5 reliable, and a high viz mast from Karl is a great safety item.

Retro Andy