News:

C5 Alive attending the following event
Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 - Sandwich Gears of Change Motor Show - Kent
http://classicmusicandmotors.co.uk/flv_portfolio/motor-shows/

Author Topic: Rusty chassis  (Read 3070 times)

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
Rusty chassis
« on: 24, February, 2010 - 19:42:35 »
Chaps - I have a very rusty chassis that I am thinking of getting sandblasted and coated can any recommended this process and give a rough idea of cost ?

Marty

Karl

Re: Rusty chassis
« Reply #1 on: 24, February, 2010 - 23:20:41 »
I'm guessing, but I reckon about £50 for the blasting, not sure about cost of painting as well . Electricdave has a mate who does sandblasting so I'll find out and get back to you.

From what I've heard, its a good process to use because it gets rid of the rust more effectively than rubbing down with sandpaper etc meaning you end up with a better paint finish.

Offline techytype

• Battery level: 0
« Reply #2 on: 25, February, 2010 - 08:46:02 »
depends if you want to do this yourself, if you already have a compressor you can get a fairly cheap blasting gun and beads from Machine Mart and from the always useful Ebay.

even if you have it done for you, i'd suggest after blasting to use a rust inhibiter on the chassis before painting.

to paint yourself with cans is not that hard, it's not like doing a large panel like a door where you need to be spending a lot of time polishing, the chassis will be little seen (unless your prone to cornering to fast like Karl ;D), so a couple of coats or primer with some rubbing down between coats, then 2 or more top coats, again rubbing down between coats with a fine compound paste (bluebell works well), clean and finish of with a clear lacquer.

if you do send the chassis away for blasting, you could try/practice on some scrape metal or cheap baking trays.

regs
Alan

Offline Umpa

• Global Moderator
  • Battery level: 1
« Reply #3 on: 25, February, 2010 - 09:47:05 »
We use grit blasting at work and is very good, however we use negative pressure cabinets, when blasting in open air you need to be away from other items like cars as even a slight covering of blasting material will scratch when rubbed.

Goes without saying about masks and eye protection.

Also like with shot blasting you can punch a hole through thin rusty metal with it.

When I get around to doing mine I'll sub con it.

Offline Retro Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 12
« Reply #4 on: 25, February, 2010 - 10:51:18 »
If you wish Marty, and its not too much of a rush, I could help, when I done mine I used a mates sand blaster at work and did it myself over my lunch breaks, the sand cost about £15.00 and the powder coating was less than £30.00 if I remmeber right. I would be more than happy to do it for you, if want to let me have the chassis ( check out Andy's project for photo's )

Retro Andy

Offline radiomarty

• Millennium Member
  • Battery level: 100
« Reply #5 on: 26, February, 2010 - 07:39:04 »
Top man Andy - will be in touch.